OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Longest long pips
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 03:07 

Blade: Sanwei Parla
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Sanwei Dizzy
Quote:
Er, no. They're completely outside ITTF specs, and would have no chance of ever being certified. You can look up the specs here:

https://equipment.ittf.com/#/equipment/manuals

And the list of ITTF approved rubbers (the "LARC") is here:

https://equipment.ittf.com/#/equipment/racket_coverings

(Getting something into the LARC is complicated and expensive, you also have to pay every year to KEEP it on the LARC, though, it turns out, the fees aren't nearly as high as I thought they were.)

What does this mean? It means you can't play in a sanctioned tournament (i.e. something organized by a national sporting organization, or the ITTF) with these rubbers, or anything else that isn't in the LARC. Does it mean you can't use this stuff when NOT at a tournament? Sure, if you're just playing among friends. You MIGHT bring it to the club, but unless it's just to try out or as a novelty I think you'd get frowned at by most people. You can TRY to use them in non-sanctioned tournaments - you know, your high school championships, the Intramurals at your University, your church's Basement League, you company's annual Ping Pong Picnic, or the City Hall Town Championships, but I suspect you'd run into some people who will object and complain that it's "unfair" - the likelihood of this happening will increase exponentially the larger the tournament, and the higher the grade of player that you encounter. There are places in the world (China and Indonesia, apparently) where people are a lot more tolerant about this sort of thing, so you tend to see this stuff on sale there.

Iskandar

Thank you very much for explaining this. For me it is the first time that I hear about those rubbers. Anyway, I think it is difficult enough to get use to pimples, I don’t think it is needed to add more difficulty. And also, as you said, this is not fair with the opponent to get adverse spin imposible to predict. With normal long pips you can easily predict the spin if you know how they work.

Excellent answer. Thanks

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 05:29 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
iskandar taib wrote:
Rob M wrote:
My point is S Jan that if you did regular practice and training you wouldn't have to focus on illegal long pips. But i suspect you just rely on pimples to win cheap points in the low level social leagues. I would look you up on rating central but i don't know your real name, you are a nameless troll after all. Oh and well done for remaining on the forum for this length of time under your new pseudonym

Sort of in defense of S-Jan - he's actually quite a high ranked player. IIRC his rating in the late 1990s was over 1900. He played in the same club Larry Hodges played at, I think it's somewhere in the Washington DC area. I don't think he's into the giant pips and frictionless pips - he's a chopper. His beef with the ITTF had to do with the banning of the original Feint II Long through the aspect ratio limit, which IIRC was favored by a lot of choppers. And he didn't think it was fair that the "robot loopers" could use speed glue. The problem was he got really obsessive about it, and started behaving like there was a huge conspiracy targeting him and other choppers. And acting upon it. My beef with S-Jan had to do with his online behavior, not with his playing or playing style. He's a much, much better player than I ever was.

Iskandar

I chop with D'tecs ox at a 1900-2000 level, its very possible but I practice regularly. I know of other Australian choppers who use D'tecs who play at a 2100 to 2200 level and I dont hear them whinging about super high aspect ratio long pips. But yes I agree his online behaviour is disgraceful

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 13:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I had my doubts earlier but this is definitely S-jan.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 01:01 

iskandar taib wrote:
I had my doubts earlier but this is definitely S-jan.. :lol:

Iskandar

Do you mean, the person who answered before? I got a little bit lost in all this discussion.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 16:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Explaining S-jan would take a long time. It goes back to the mid-1990s, long before this forum actually existed.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2024, 06:40 

iskandar taib wrote:
Explaining S-jan would take a long time. It goes back to the mid-1990s, long before this forum actually existed.

Iskandar

Ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2024, 17:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not worth the effort, really. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 18:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

And this is why it's not worth trying to explain S-jan. He does a pretty good job of doing it himself. The last three posts are a great example of what he posts - imagine a forum being subjected to 20, 30, 40 of these things every day, that's what he did on Usenet. No way to "ban" someone on Usenet, either, so we used killfiles - if you killfile someone all of their posts essentially become invisible to you so you can get on with reading other peoples' posts. So to get around that, he'd start forging posts using different names, sort of like whack-a-mole. It got to the point where we were having to killfile his domain (unfortunately Larry Hodges was using that same domain).

He believes that the ITTF actually reads the stuff he posts on forums, and when admins ban him they're trying to silence him... :lol: Sort of the reverse of Igor trying to convince us all that he's some sort of ITTF insider...

To tell the truth, not everything he says is nonsense, he's a pretty good player and posted some great tips about how to play as a chopper, and he was right about the hazards of speed glue. But the noise drowns it all out so no one remembers the good stuff any more.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 21:00 

amet76 wrote:
amet76 wrote:
I also know ITTF will instead continue to further limit pips by lying about how bad long pips are bad for the sport & caused billons of children who were traumatized by long pips have left the sport etc while the fact remains that tabletennis is supported mostly by master's players (6000+ players registered for World Master's Tournament in Rome in July 2024 & opportunities exist for someone like Dr.Neubauer to run more master's tournaments. Masters tournaments in India & China alone could draw 10000 players)

Let me expand on this somemore.
ITTF could easily ban all pips & anti easily if they wanted to. From a majority of players perspective, this is also the right thing to do in any civilized democracy.

But why do you think ITTF has not done so ? ITTF wants the pips players to believe that ITTF admires pips players and they want to keep pips players in the sport because ITTF believes in diversity , inclusion and all that nonsense. But this is the biggest nonsense anyone can sell but ITTF has done this so successfully because ITTF knows pips players have no self respect or self esteem and badly want to be admired by loopers. They exploit this to the max, & this is why ITTF has continued to make rule change after rule change ( 9 of them since 1983 ) but most new young pips players have no freaking clue as to what is really going on & the reign of terror of the ITTF against pips players. Older pips players are afraid to speak up

OK now let me get to the REAL reason as to why ITTF has not banned all pips.
ITTF depends a lot on its association with IOC (& other sponsors) related income. If ITTF bans pips, there is a real possibility now that pips players can start their own association which would severely dilute the total control that ITTF has over pips players but more importantly loss of sponsors & possible IOC revenue. ITTF learned this lesson when glue freaks threatened to form their own association in 1995 when glue ban was initially brought about but ITTF repealed it in 3 months.

So in the final analysis, the only way pips players can get justice & punitive reparations from ITTF for 40 years of incessant abuse is to start a separate association & bring ITTF to the negotiating table. But it would take someone like Dr.Neubauer who had made lots of money of pips & also is the mortal enemy of Scholer who absolutely hates pips & the success of Dr.Neubauer.
I have already proposed such an association an year ago with three separate rulesets for youth, all age & master's groups

Hello,

Actually I think we can open so much this perspective and contribute to this discussion in order to get logical behind this. Maybe you have information that I don’t, and I respect your point of view, for sure I don’t want to change it, just give my perception.

I think long pips are not banned because they are in the sport since almos the beginning of this one.

Also I don’t this the majority of the players think they have to be banned. I think this is something said by people who don’t like to play against long pips but I don’t think is a majority. I find each tournament people who say: please come and defend, I like attacking against long pips. Then I think without clear statistics, it is just speculation.

And I don’t think ITTF pretend they admire long pips, honestly I don’t think they care at all. Actually if they ban all pips, people will get anti and other kind of rubbers, as when the banned the frictionless ones.

I think this is an sport that constantly evolves, more style, more rubbers, make it rich.

Have a happy day and thank for sharing your points of view with respect. Nice community here.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024, 15:12 

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer each part of my post, I like and learn a lot from it.

For continuing opening this interesting discussion, I will recommend the next video:

https://youtu.be/ZKAUqnmCMlc?si=FAu1Z3aneyLquqvn

Amazing explanation about long pips.

Regarding to your answers:

Quote:
No.
First, please visit my other post today about order of arrival of various rubbers in table tennis.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42070
Even if what you say is true, how does it matter when a rubber arrived in table tennis ?

Well for me that matters, if not long pips player could also say to ban inverted rubbers because the make spin. Actually, both are part of the history of table tennis, are connected with the escence of it

Quote:
Do you know when frictionless long pips arrived ? But I hope you at least know by now that they were banned in 2008

I know that they were banned because the where unpredictable, but this is not happening with long pips now. Long pips are predictable, they neutralice or increase spin, not invert it. Is it so difficult to understand? It is like reading the spring in a service, they change the rule about hiding service with or the other hand because you need to predict with the movement which spin it has. But, when you can reed it because is visible, depends of you to answer it well or not. Same with pips rubbers, they are now predictable, if you can not read the spin with them, and you pretend to ban it because of it, then maybe you will need to ban service with spin jajajaja

Quote:
This varies country from country. Also it is naive to believe that most loopers love choppers & consider them athletically their equal.
I have been thru these discussions in 100s of iterations over the years & I know the facts worldwide.
But again feel free to continue what you "believe"

I didn’t say that most of them, I said that I met people that like it, maybe I was lucky, but with out statistics still not a fact. Actually this argument as 100 of discussions, come on not all player in the world are on forums. And all over the wold is so pretentious, go to Indonesia an look how many people play with long pips. Then if there is no numbers, everything is speculation, from you side and from mine.

Quote:
Sorry no.
They very much care about public perception that they love diversity & inclusion of all playing styles

Again, where is this written or said, I would like to read or see those proves, if not, again, speculation.

Quote:
Ok let us assume this is true. Are you saying that anti is as effective as even long pips (let alone super pips) in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era ? REALLY ?

So what you are saying is that the looper controlled ITTF knows what is good for pips players & cares about what is good for the sport ? OK

For me both are different rubbers and both are effective, go to see good level matches in Germany one against the other. For me both are fantastic and can be used.

Again, I never said this about this ITTF loopers controlling anything. Actually this kind of comment allows people to say the thing mentioned about you in previos interventions. I don’t care and as I say I don’t think they care ether.

Quote:
By the way I also asked in my other post as to why ITTF has banned FLPs in 2008 but has not banned FLantis.
I will wait for your answer first

I think because they are different. FLPs are unpredictable, again FLantis are predictable, just neutralising spin. At least this is my experience, and this is the explanation I can give. I can imagine you will not agree. As I commented since the beginning, for me this is just an opportunity to open this discussion and learn. I take from you, the thing I consider useful.

Regards and enjoy this beautiful game, it is amazing and changed my life in a nice way. Lot of friends, lot of incredible moments :D

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024, 18:21 

amet76 wrote:
I have been in this sport close to 50 years as a player relatively close to high level, as a super successful league creator & admin, as well as a coach & founder of a table tennis center who ran state championships & other tournaments. And table tennis is sort of like my fourth sport (after hockey, basketball & tennis) from my youth I did not even start playing seriously till my second post graduate college degree.
So I would say I have seen a lot of things transpire & my comments are based on my such experience.

Diegox wrote:
Hello,
Well for me that matters, if not long pips player could also say to ban inverted rubbers because the make spin.

Sorry no. Because spinverted rubber is usually a primary or strongside rubber in table tennis. Unless a player uses long pips both sides which is a ridiculous choice
Diegox wrote:
Do you know when frictionless long pips arrived ? But I hope you at least know by now that they were banned in 2008
I know that they were banned because the where unpredictable

Sorry No . They were banned for political reasons.
I won’t get into it here
Diegox wrote:
but this is not happening with long pips now.

That is exactly my point. Long pips on ITTF LARC are a joke & that is how ITTF wants it. The looper controlled ITTF also knows short pips & anti are a joke as weakside rubbers but keeps promoting it with disinformation campaigns so that players won’t use even long pips on LARC, let alone the ONLY truly functional weakside rubbers, which are the super pips.
But as I have said many times, pips & anti players get brainwashed by ITTF and seriously think anti or long pips on ITTF LARC or short pips on weakside can be truly functional & useful in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era. But they are nothing more than social rubbers. The one & only truly functionally useful rubber in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era are super pips but most players don’t even know about them & ITTF would love to keep it that way.

Diegox wrote:
I didn’t say that most of them, I said that I met people that like it, maybe I was lucky, but with out statistics still not a fact. Actually this argument as 100 of discussions, come on not all player in the world are on forums. And all over the wold is so pretentious, go to Indonesia an look how many people play with long pips. Then if there is no numbers, everything is speculation, from you side and from mine.

Ok you keep believing all is beautiful & no corruption in table tennis or in ITTF.
And based on my 50 years of experience Iknow the truth.
Diegox wrote:
amet76 wrote:
Sorry no.
They very much care about public perception that they love diversity & inclusion of all playing styles

Again, where is this written or said, I would like to read or see those proves, if not, again, speculation.

Huh ?
So you claim that ITTF does not claim have a policy of diversity and inclusion of all playing styles ? REALLY ? OK
Failure to at least have a fake policy of diversity (of all playing styles) would be a violation of Olympic ideals & IOC could expel table tennis from Olympics.
Diegox wrote:
Amet76 wrote:
Ok let us assume this is true. Are you saying that anti is as effective as even long pips (let alone super pips) in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era ? REALLY ? So what you are saying is that the looper controlled ITTF knows what is good for pips players & cares about what is good for the sport ? OK

For me both are different rubbers and both are effective, go to see good level matches in Germany one against the other. For me both are fantastic and can be used.

As I see it , the discussion was about which rubber type is the most effective ? As I see it anti is a joke in the 40+ plastic ball only era even the so called magical frictionless anti. Just playing with any rubber just enjoyment or emotional attachment or one believes that they can be as good as a pro simply using the same rubber type, does not qualify as the most effective
But if you understand why ITTF banned frictionless LPs but not Frictionless Antis , you will understand which is the most effective . ITTF does not want pips (I know that for a fact mostly for political reason & I won’t get into that here & write a book) But as I have said before they also cannot ban (long) pips for political reasons. I know the truth but if you & others want to live in a fantasy world believing that looper controlled ITTF knows how to make rules for pips &anti players, by all means enjoy whatever
Diegox wrote:
Again, I never said this about this ITTF loopers controlling anything. Actually this kind of comment allows people to say the thing mentioned about you in previos interventions. I don’t care and as I say I don’t think they care ether.

I never said you said that. I am definitively saying that all the councils & committees of the ITTF & similar groups in the ITTF’s national associates are controlled by majority former glue & booster sucking loopers. I am not saying 100% are them but would be like at least 75% if not more

Diegox wrote:
amet76 wrote:
By the way I also asked in my other post as to why ITTF has banned FLPs in 2008 but has not banned FLantis.
I will wait for your answer first

I think because they are different. FLPs are unpredictable, again FLantis are predictable, just neutralising spin

That is EXACTLY my point. The looper controlled ITTF does not want players to use what is most effective as weakside rubbers. This is why the looper controlled ITTF had passed 9 rules & regulations since 1983 to limit pips. The looper controlled ITTF wants players to use what is the least nuisance for them (illegally boosted up loopers) which are the antis & weakside short pips. They know anti & weakside short pips are the least effective & that is exactly why they want players to use them. They would rather have player not use even the useless long pips on ITTF LARC let alone the truly functional super pips. This is why the looper controlled ITTF keeps coming up with new rules again & again against pips. Also as I said they would love to ban all pips but they cannot , due to political reason which I have explained many times in the past few days & 100s of times over the years.
BTW there is also more politics as to why ITTF does not want pips but accepts anti. That is another story but I won't get into that here.
But I will say that it is a German story. Ask around in Germany.

Also BTW, it is not about unpredictability. Frictionless pips are a bigger nuisance for loopers than anti (& weakside short pips) . And of course the usual lame excuse that billions of youth have left teh sport because of frictionless long pips. There is also lot more to this story & I have discussed them in forums many times before & I am not going to do it again

Thanks for all you answers and for taking the time to explain your bad experience with the organisation. I think you expose your point, I expose mine. It is not needed an agreement. When people will read, they will get their own conclusion based on arguments.

I Wish you the best in this beautiful sport.

Regards

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2024, 18:06 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hi DiegOX,

You ought to see it when we get S-Jan on a mad-on about Larry Hodges... just hilarious. He personally blames Larry for all kind of ITTF mischief. S-Jan so hates it when we say anything like Larry is his buddy.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2024, 18:13 

Der_Echte wrote:
Hi DiegOX,

You ought to see it when we get S-Jan on a mad-on about Larry Hodges... just hilarious. He personally blames Larry for all kind of ITTF mischief. S-Jan so hates it when we say anything like Larry is his buddy.

Sorry for ignorance, who is Larry Hodges?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2024, 18:50 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Larry Hodges is a USA coach... S-Jan blames Larry for influencing ITTF to change aspect ratio of pips and other assorted negative actions vs pips equipment. Larry was not the USATT president or anything like that, but S-Jan thinks it is all Larry's fault.

S-Jan thinks Larry is so respected in the big wig circles he calls him Reverend Larry.

We simply laugh as S-Jan's outright hate for Larry. I sometimes try to get him to go on rants about Larry, it is so illogical.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2024, 19:05 

Der_Echte wrote:
Larry Hodges is a USA coach... S-Jan blames Larry for influencing ITTF to change aspect ratio of pips and other assorted negative actions vs pips equipment. Larry was not the USATT president or anything like that, but S-Jan thinks it is all Larry's fault.

S-Jan thinks Larry is so respected in the big wig circles he calls him Reverend Larry.

We simply laugh as S-Jan's outright hate for Larry. I sometimes try to get him to go on rants about Larry, it is so illogical.

Thanks for answering, this is a complete world of people related with pips :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!