OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 03:10 

Blade: Sanwei Parla
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Sanwei Dizzy
iskandar taib wrote:
And Xu Xin never chops? :lol:

There's also a fair amount of attacking with long pips in this video:

From an non-expert like me, it seems that you SHOULD be able to attack with long pips if you attack a ball that has a fair amount of backspin on it (as when your opponent chops, especially when they chop or push with the inverted side). And especially if the ball is slightly high. You do it the same way you do a topspin drive with a hardbat - with an open racket face. And you rely on your long pips to convert the incoming backspin to topspin via reversal. You should even be able to do this with frictionless pips, in fact it should work even better with frictionless pips.

Iskandar

Thanks for all this nice information and videos. I agree with what you can reach with long pips. It is just a rubber with some characteristic and always easy to be used for attacking if you do the right movements.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 03:14 

merlin el mago wrote:
Guys make yourself the answer to this question: how do I do more points with OX long pips, attacking or defending?

Depends, if you are speaking about point waiting for the mistake of the opponent, then defending. If you area speaking about points that you define, then attacking. This is actually, in my opinion, connected to the other topic mentioned before. It is not so common to see them in competitions because defending will always depend on the error of the opponent. At least this is my idea, but always can be argue back.

Regards.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 13:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

They're not GOOD for attacking, mainly because you can't generate topspin with them. You can convert incoming backspin to topspin, but you can't counter-drive. When you block a topspin drive with inverted, the returning shot will have some topspin, and can therefore have some pace on it and still hit the table, but if you block with long pips or try to counter-drive the ball will have some backspin on it. If you block it back too fast it will miss the table. The two reasons people use long pips are that (1) it confuses the other player because they're not used to the spin reversal that happens and (2) it reacts a lot less to topspin, allowing the easier return of shots. (1) only works for a while - it won't work on better players, or even on not-so-good players who are used to playing against it. (2) works regardless of the opponent's level, which is why choppers use it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 01:06 

iskandar taib wrote:
They're not GOOD for attacking, mainly because you can't generate topspin with them. You can convert incoming backspin to topspin, but you can't counter-drive. When you block a topspin drive with inverted, the returning shot will have some topspin, and can therefore have some pace on it and still hit the table, but if you block with long pips or try to counter-drive the ball will have some backspin on it. If you block it back too fast it will miss the table. The two reasons people use long pips are that (1) it confuses the other player because they're not used to the spin reversal that happens and (2) it reacts a lot less to topspin, allowing the easier return of shots. (1) only works for a while - it won't work on better players, or even on not-so-good players who are used to playing against it. (2) works regardless of the opponent's level, which is why choppers use it.

Iskandar

Thanks as always for your great comments always arguing so well. I agree with everything except that if you block to fast you will miss the table. I think we are not use to see players who can do it but, it can be done. Also you can open fast attacks with long pips, as you said with not much spin, but fast and well located.

Maybe I’m wrong, may no. But I like to believe that in order to still inspired to train with long pips :D

Regards.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 05:39 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Actually attacking with long pimples is very possible, it just takes regular practice and training to work out the blade angles. Look at all the GeblockTT videos featuring Markus Findling as an example. Markus plays at a good level and he is very aggressive with his long pimples. I know of an Australian veteran player who has a similar style who is rated 2100 USATT. The problem with hitting with long pimples above a USATT 2000 level is that your opponent just loops the ball straight back.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 09:21 
Super User

This guy with his long pip playing skills will take to any pip like a duck to water. Amazing long pips player. :up:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 14:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Rob M wrote:
Actually attacking with long pimples is very possible, it just takes regular practice and training to work out the blade angles. Look at all the GeblockTT videos featuring Markus Findling as an example. Markus plays at a good level and he is very aggressive with his long pimples. I know of an Australian veteran player who has a similar style who is rated 2100 USATT. The problem with hitting with long pimples above a USATT 2000 level is that your opponent just loops the ball straight back.

Just scanned quickly through this. Note WHAT he attacks. Mainly high balls that have backspin on them. He doesn't try blocking incoming loops or fast topspin, instead he chops or chop-blocks those. And he doesn't try to hit very hard, either. (For those who haven't watched the video yet - the attacking happens towards the end.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 23:23 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Iskander has highlighted the key challenge with trying to attack against topspin with LP in a similar way as using MP. Basically the harder you try and counter hit the more reversal is created which leads to balls going long or catching the net. In comparison attacking back spin with sponge LP is a breeze as the harder you hit the more topspin is created so you can clear the net easily and still keep the ball on the table. I love the look of astonishment from choppers when the ball is just blasted past them even with my rudimentary technique with LP.

Coming from SP and MP and without the skill to chop block which is the classic LP technique against topspin, I have decided to concentrate on LPs closer to MPs like Do Knuckle, Curl PH/P5V or the new KO extreme to give the best balance between disruption, reversal and attack. Any recommendations for other rubbers in this category would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2024, 06:36 

Rob M wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, so good.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 02:23 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
iskandar taib wrote:
And Xu Xin never chops? :lol:

From an non-expert like me, it seems that you SHOULD be able to attack with long pips if you attack a ball that has a fair amount of backspin on it (as when your opponent chops, especially when they chop or push with the inverted side). And especially if the ball is slightly high. You do it the same way you do a topspin drive with a hardbat - with an open racket face. And you rely on your long pips to convert the incoming backspin to topspin via reversal. You should even be able to do this with frictionless pips, in fact it should work even better with frictionless pips.

Iskandar

Yes my favourite use of long pips is attacking deep backspin and looking at the astonishment on the other players face when the ball wizzes past them. As you say just open the bat face and let the spin reversal create topspin and the harder you hit the better it seems. this works best with a thin sponge or at least OX on a soft blade