OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2010, 21:06 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I ordered a sheet of this from OOAK and had it lying in storage for awhile... I was curious on how it would play as i think i have risen in level from when i last used it...

Playing style - on the table blocker. Fh style - pick hitter and blocker, only looping non heavy backspun balls or else pushing back.
Level - A grade division player.
Visual impression out of packet - base sheet is shiny, gluing it with stiga victory glue, it does absorb the glue, it domes easily. So added a very thin layer to sponge, it did not feel sticky at all after a 15min wait, so add 2 and a bit layers on the blade. Waited 30min.

Impressions - the rubber is slower than my previous pips on normal stroke (joola tango and stiga royal), but. It feels more dead to me meaning better control on short game and passive strokes. Its not as spiny as previous rubbers on serves. What i really like about this underated beast is that its quite insensitive to incoming spin, i dont have to adjust much on my angle at all just adjusting the power I add on or take off. The disruption of use rubber is not stronge on passive blocks, but since it does not eat spin, I can block or hit longer and stay in a rally. Explosive power - its on par with royal and tango.... Close to table or on the table. Backed up i dont feel confident at all, well not yet. It has the stopping power and cause the opponent to look like a stunned mullet :). Big advantages i think is that its quite comfortable close to the table as i dont bite the incoming spin. Pick hitting my shots earlier. Disadvantage I feel is my serve on this rubber.

I will throwing myself into my grand final team match with this rubber of only using it for a limited amount of hours, so i feel confident but will have to wait if does use job. :)

Metal monkey

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 00:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review MM! You're certainly game to use this in the final!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 05:32 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Yeah I don't mind, I feel quite confident I can play the same as with my inverted rubber...
LOL!! If all else fails during the game I'll just use 100% backhand :P

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 07:42 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I used 802-40 for a couple of years on my backhand. I've also used tango ultra for a while prior to the the 802-40. I tried it forehand and backhand. I agree the 802-40 is a little bit slower (but not by much) but where I preferred the 802-40 was it didn't feel as lively or bouncy/springy as the tango Ultra so I felt I had more control but that bounce and spring was still there. What's interesting is that you say it feels more dead. For me, the sponge and importanly the pips themselves still feel quite lively and certainly softer than the spectol I use now. For me when I use pimples the hardness of the pips themselves is as important as the softness or hardness of the sponge when it comes to determining how they play.

I can't remember there being much difference in terms of spin ability for both the tango ultra and 802-40 - both were fine for serving with.

Recently I tried the 802-40 again. The person I was playing against said it played like an inverted rubber. He asked why even bother using it if it played that similar to inverted. I've now gone back to using Spectol because I like the harder feel.

Something to consider is that the 802-40 is significantly cheaper than the tango or royal :)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 21:49 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I had two sessions training today before the big night, and, the feel has not changed.
I probably play a more passive game, and pull back alot when they attack. I keep the ball in. With same angle, too me its quite dead. But its a different feel if i were to use a thinner sponge were i have too apply some type of pressure on the block to land it on the table where i want.
I am learning too control the serves more, placement is good but i seldom doubt the spin i put on. I havent never been a great server so really this issue is not a problem too me.
What problems me thus far is the no spin balls on dummy loops or dummy push. Cant keep it low enough on the table...

I havent really tried spinning with the rubber. When i do it does land long.
The stopping power is still there and i still think my rubber is quite insensitive too spin.

Today i played social lawog... Best of five, and got him 3-0.
Played another team mate and got him 3-1.
Played a under 15, ranked 4 player and got him 3-2, but beat me 4-3 in best of 7.

Overall my style and rubber suits me well. I will stick too this short pip for a little while longer.

Lol... And p.s... I am the only pips blocker in the area so. It does come to a suprise when i play someone. Albeit..... The long faces i see in the crowd.

Monkey

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 23:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

haggisv wrote:
Nice review MM! You're certainly game to use this in the final!

yes......
too night we played the final.
We ended up winning 6-2 (best of 11 rubbers)
I did not have troubles at all playing the fh, just keeping the ball low on the bh,. Will work on my balance for the next few weeks before the next season kicks.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 23:52 

Hey guys,
I will also test the 802-40, but in 1.5 mm, 'cause I need - after my trip with long pimple - a controlled option, because the play with LN is not mine.
So, it's my aim to highlight my good forehand and play a safe block-game with short pimples.

The rubber is already on my blade (TSP Def. Classic with carbon, speed ca. ALL). And I notized that the rubber produes a lot of spin. For example in compare to the 799 from Friendship.

I hope for a positive test, that I can use the rubber in the next leauge game.

Greeting :).