OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spinmax on short pips?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 13:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Has anybody tried to see what happens when you put spinmax on spinny short pips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007, 21:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It should make them soft and tacky like Stiga Radical. Should help with serving and pushing but you'll need to close your blade blocking. They will pick up dirt though and that may shorten their life.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 15:43 
A Beautiful Brain

hi Baal,
Spin max really only tends to help make tacky rubber tackier and help maintain that tackiness past its normal tacky life...I did try some Spinmax on some long pips, and I cant say it made any diff..but should the short pips have any original tack or grip...that may be enhanced..
If the rubber is said to create good spin, there is a chance that Spinmax will make that spin better.

Spinmaxed rubber does collect more dust on tacky rubber...so you might need to carry a toothbrush with you...lol...but I have not yet used Spinmaxed pips in a comp because I don't know the likely effect on the features of Neptune, if any...

One thing I should say is that I did not play with the Spinmax treated pips...so my observation was strictly a ball rub against bent pips and hit in the lounge room test...

I did see somewhere in a Spinmax writeup that some players in Victoria or somewhere were using Spinmax on pips with good results...I am not sure what it would do to a Neptune rubber for example where it is used for spin reversal etc...but short pips are not used like long pips so the result of Spinmaxing short pips might be well worth while..
As an example of which rubber will gain and not gain from using Spinmax, I found that using Spinmax on Donic Desto F3 Big Slam, which does not have any natural tackiness gains absolutely nothing in the way of tack..Whereas red Geospin tacky is not as tacky in its original state as Black Geospin tacky...I used Spinmax on on the red and it brought the red Geospin Tacky up to the tackiness of Spinmaxed Black Geospin Tacky...

hmmm...thats about all for now...

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 01:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I used Spinmax (Pin & Speed) on an 1,5 yrs old 802-1, 2.0 mm today. Its sponge had gone from medium to hard over the months, pips had stayed more or less the same (it is a real tough rubber). After applying Spinmax once the pips got a little bit softer, but much spinnier - so much so, that I didn't want to apply it a second time, afraid it would get too sensitive to incoming spin. The rubber also got considerably faster, maybe because the sponge softened up a bit. I am curious as to how long it will take for the effect to wear off.

I am not sure what to think of the result, though. I guess if you'd want to get more speed out of your rubber and/or to make less spinny rubbers about as spinny as Spectol or Spinpips or Challenger, it could make sense to use Spinmax. Would it turn a new cheap 802 into an expensive Stiga Radical? I don't think so. In any case, if you'd want more speed and spin out of your 802, maybe you should just buy the same rubber about 0.2 or 0.3 mm thicker; that would be cheaper. It is interesting experimenting with this stuff, but I do not think it will be standard equipment for pips-out players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 01:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have a bottle of Spinmax which is now mostly gone.

I use it mostly to revive tacky rubbers near the end of their lives for my teammates before they buy new rubber. I do know a guy who uses Spinmax on Chinese anti rubber and on his long pips.

I don't want my short pips to be that sensitive to spin, I find Andro Revolution COR, Stiga Radical and Dawei 388b a bit too sensitive to spin.

I find the sponge wears out on my rubbers before the topsheet, so I don't gain that much, but someone using hard sponge might feel different.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 06:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The new spinmax aqueous may work better on the pips as applications won't expand the pips since it contains no solvent... have not tried it though, but I know a few players have and seem to like it...