OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2022, 22:54 

I'm a returning player meaning I got the basics but definitely below average skill player.

Looking for suggestions.
Back in the day I used Stiga Clippa on my FH.
I just bought a spinlord waran (thickness 2.0) haven't tested it out in play because of the holidays and a storm(the club is closed). I have practiced serves and I think I'll be happy with this one but I'm looking at other short pimples that are similar.
Some of the short pimples that the other players i see are too hard (butterfly short pimples) that dwell time is short.

I'm looking for something that's close to soft inverted rubber that I can do regular forehand topspin drills without having to adjust the angle of my stroke so much. (clippa could do forehand topspin like a normal inverted)
I'm interested in using it just as you would a normal inverted rubber but just the benefit of being able to flat drive without having to worry about the incoming spin.
I'm not looking for any deception.
I'm looking for a sponge as soft or softer than the waran, probably thicker than the max waran but similar topsheet texture.
I plan on trying out something from Victas because they seem to have very good build quality.

So what is the softest Victas short pimple rubber out there that has 2.1 (or thicker)?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2022, 22:09 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
From Victas's "S" line, S2 is the old Spectol Soft. It'll have the softest sponge, I think. S1 is regular old Spectol and S3 is some weird new thing with different pip geometry, unless I'm mistaken. Though not relevant to what you're looking for, the old Spectol Red and Spectol Blue from the TSP days are done, though they're still available and will remain on the LARC for a while yet.

From their "D" line, D3 is the old Super Spinpips Chop 2, which has a very soft sponge. Spinpips is a grippier topsheet than Spectol (different pip geometry, and Spinpips is a "cooked" pip while Spectol is a "raw" pip). I used to use Super Spinpips Chop 1 (same topsheet, but a very hard sponge, I think the same as the sponge that was under Curl P1R) and had no trouble doing inverted-ish blocks, drives and topspin attack shots, though I didn't find it grippy enough to do the banana flick; the really soft sponge under D3/SSPC2 should if anything make it both more sensitive to incoming spin and more capable of generating spin on shots where the sponge really comes into play. It might be too slow for your purposes, though.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2022, 22:25 

Thank you for the reply!
From the victas line S or D. What is comparable to the Spinlord Waran?

I was finally able to try out the waran and the feeling is actually very agreeable but the power/bounce i would say is very dependent on the user. If the user just slightly bounces the ball the ball will land extremely short. And it takes a bigger effort to flat drive the ball to the far ends of the table.

If there's a victas SP that compares in feeling/softness to the waran BUT with just a tiny more power to it I think that would be perfect.

Right now i'm using a Darker Esteem blade (which may have also contributed to the lack of speed) but I will be switching to a Darker 7p-2a blade next month.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2023, 09:04 
Super User

kaesees wrote:
From Victas's "S" line, S2 is the old Spectol Soft. It'll have the softest sponge, I think. S1 is regular old Spectol and S3 is some weird new thing with different pip geometry, unless I'm mistaken. Though not relevant to what you're looking for, the old Spectol Red and Spectol Blue from the TSP days are done, though they're still available and will remain on the LARC for a while yet.

From their "D" line, D3 is the old Super Spinpips Chop 2, which has a very soft sponge. Spinpips is a grippier topsheet than Spectol (different pip geometry, and Spinpips is a "cooked" pip while Spectol is a "raw" pip). I used to use Super Spinpips Chop 1 (same topsheet, but a very hard sponge, I think the same as the sponge that was under Curl P1R) and had no trouble doing inverted-ish blocks, drives and topspin attack shots, though I didn't find it grippy enough to do the banana flick; the really soft sponge under D3/SSPC2 should if anything make it both more sensitive to incoming spin and more capable of generating spin on shots where the sponge really comes into play. It might be too slow for your purposes, though.

Im confused, you said S1 is like old spectol and S2 too? Somebody posted that S2 is more spin attack type SP