OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 15:40 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I'm finding myself hitting the ball more than spinning it so... short pips here I come. Try it before on my forehand for about a week. But this time because I don't have any tourneys soon I will try it for about two months. I have a sheet of Dr. N pistol 1.6 that is already cut to fit my blade. The only problem I see is not as much spin on the serves. But all that will do is force to try diferent serves.
Andrew, I will asking your advice on things so expect some PMs from me.
If this doesn't work I will probably just go with a harder sponge and try that. Not sure what but I have time. I will give a update sometime.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 22:17 
Super User

You can often use the lack of spin to your advantage on your first one or two serves in the game; you can make a big fancy swing, as if you're creating a heavy spin serve, but the ball will actually go over flat which may catch your opponent off guard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 15:42 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Well I had a chance to hit today. Picked a hell of a day to. Showed up at the club and they were haveing a 41 point handycapped tourney. I got some time to warm up with a guy with a rating close to mine that I usually beat. LOL, lost at duece in the 5th. Had time for one more game and won in 4. I found that if I hit at about 80 percent I landed more shots than if I smashed them.
The tourney was fun but went out in two. The first guy I had to give up 18 points and the second 25 points. Now remember I play these guys weekly so they know my game pretty well. I got 35 and 37 point in each game. I do like the pistol and do think I will try and stick it out. More later.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 18:52 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

I found Pistol challanging to learn and gave up. It's treated and can produce slight spin reversal against loops, depending on how you use it. (Side spin blocks can be deadly.) It will probably win you more points than your SB once you master it.

If you find it too difficult, a spinny short pip like Joola's spinny tensor- Tango Ultra, or the non-tensor but similar (and cheaper) 802-40 might suit you. The Tango Ultra gives a fair bit of spin when it's new, but like all soft-rubber tensors, wears out fairly quickly too.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 22:44 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Grumpy, I played a Chinese gent in Gunston last week who used Pistol on the FH. He could serve it surprisingly deep, spinny, and controlled. Anything I pushed to his Pistol, he drive it hard or smashed for a winner. I had to hit a lot of shots into his body to avoid getting smashed. I won, but this gent gave me almost zero chance to setup my offence. The only offence I could manage was trying to loop his serve, which was hard due to his speed and placement. You are a way higher rated player than both this gent and I, so I still think you can be even more destructive if your offensive chances favor hitting.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 00:00 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Dr N used this to get down to the last 16 in the open division of last years US Open. He's over 60 and has no footwork, but pounds every loose ball with the pistol, and blocks back the rest with either Inferno or S/Block. (He also came 2nd in > 30's & > 40's, and first in > 50's & > 60's.)

I've laid awake at night wondering how far he could have gone in the US Closed (ie open to US residents only) open division, if he could have played...? It might have been very embarrassing for the US Closed.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 00:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think it's awesome that a player at that age can still be that good! There would not be many sports where this is possible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 10:17 
Rubber Killer!

SP's on the FH is a lethal weapon if used correctly. I've been at it for a while now and I love it. I can still produce very heavy serves but I find that I only lose on looping when the ball has dropped. I can still loop drive the ball fairly hard when its at the peak of the bounce. It suits my natural style I guess as I tend to drive and smash on the FH and Loop on the BH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 16:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I haven't tried Pistol myself, so it may be a good idea to try a more conventional pip at some point. 802-40, Dawei 388b are both cheap.

You can work on your serve so that it gets more spin but short pips are good at varying spin so try to take advantage of that.

I found that I had to work hardest on serve return by flipping more and pushing less and rolling rather than looping long topspin serves.

-- Andrew

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!