OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 04:14 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So, I've finally gotten to the point (at least once I'm playing again) where I can loop pushes. But Should I loop any push I think I can?

Do you think that it's a tactical advantage to push sometimes?

Open for all discussion....

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 22:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think you should get into the habit of trying to loop them all, at least until your loop is very consistant, as a loop will generally put you at an advantage. Still don't lose your skill of pushing, as against some style it may be more effective.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 23:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
I agree with haggis. Right now focus on looping any ball you can. There are times where strategically it is better to push to a certain location, but most of us need to loop it most of the time.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 01:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Until your loop against push reaches 90%+ on loop everything. During doubles where you know where abouts the ball will be I generally try to loop every serve, sometimes you have to pike out mid swing and change the loop into a push if it's _really_ short but yeah so what you have plenty of time. Even against short serve I've got a high percentage of fh loop winners in doubles, occasionally I've gone a full doubles match without missing any. I don't play doubles in tournaments due to them being on at stupid times of the morning but it works excellent in pennant.

Point of the story is loop everything until you don't miss :up: .

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 06:50 
Super User

Sounds like everyone concurs. I will loop away! :punch:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 22:43 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
In the last couple of weeks despite practice, my results seem to have gone backwards. I'm being a lot more aggressive and trying to loop/smash any long or hittable ball. It means by not waiting for the 'perfect ball' I am missing a lot more. For my development should I keep this up or be a little more patient.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 23:04 
Super User

I think the general consensus is loop everything if you want to get better, because you will only get better at looping backspin and this in the long run will help your game. (also as someone else mentions looping will more often than not put you at an advantage.)

If you are trying to win... thats another story. generally, pushing is going to be the safer route, and if you are putting more balls on the table (especially the ones that are difficult to loop) that is going to win you more points. My push is among my best shots, especially since I now push with LP/Inv on both sides.

but, trying to loop everyball will definitely make you better in the long run, at the cost of losing some games you could of won.

So, loop or not depends on your goals.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 07:03 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I'm at this crossroad, too. My automatic response to most push returns is to push back, regardless of it's length or placement. This was fine in the lower grades and it certainly helped me learn control/feel. Now, in my current grade I'm finding that this 'pushing game' just isn't good enough. Players with an attacking attitude - like me - are making the effort to loop practically every backspin ball. When I make this mental switch it works for me too, but I haven't had much practice at it and I only feel about 30% confident (at best). I know it's a matter of just doing it, because every new aspect of my game came about by just doing it.

This summer I'm determined to put in the hours of practice required to make the switch. I'm confident that when it's a natural part of my game I will be a much, much better player.

From what I've seen, pushing occurs most often (and is valid) when the return is short or you find yourself out of position. However, the winning strategy for an offensive player is loop 90+% of the time. I know this, but I just got to do it!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 07:51 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
My approach is to loop any ball I can, basically.

On my forehand, that's nearly everything unless it's short.

On my backhand it's a bit trickier because obviously you can't loop with P1-R! As such, if I'm going to loop a ball which has been pushed into my backhand, I need to make a conscious decision to quickly move my feet round and play an aggressive stroke. If you half-arse that shot, it'll get blocked down the line and you'll lose points quite easily.

As such, I tend not to loop every push into my backhand - usually I try to push down the line with my pimples to encourage my opponent to play to my forehand. If it doesn't work and they push back to my backhand I'll come round and go for a strong loop.

I also push if I'm off the table, my opponent drops me short and my *right* foot isn't in the right position to play a loop. However, hopefully as I get better, my right foot will be in the correct position more often.

The only other time I push is if my opponent seems to struggle against 'classic defence' or just backspin generally. No need to avoid winning easy points if heavy pushes will work!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 08:44 
Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
Sounds like everyone concurs. I will loop away! :punch:

As stated above you should work on your loop until you make 9 out of every 10 hit the table, not necessary winning the point with each stroke.

The most common reason for missing a loop is due to not reading the amount of chop on the incoming ball, which results in the ball either dumping into the net or flying long off the table. Practice against lower rated players to start with who do not vary their spin too much. Also make sure you start each stroke with an abducted wrist (similar to how your wrist is when you shake hands with someone and the fingers slight point downward). With low back spin keep the wrist abducted all the way through the stroke. Where more spin is to be overcome, move your wrist from the abducted position to the opposite position as you make contact with the ball.

HTH.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 14:37 
Super User

I've moved back from the table recently (Man the action was getting too hot up front with the BlocknPush :sweat: )...

I find that loopers have a hard time against heavy, HEAVY pushes and chops. They're really hard to lift even with long pips let alone with thick inverted. Yikes! I don't have a "coach" anymore and I don't practice as much anymore as I have fallen into the practice as-you-play mode but that's how I see it... more power to you in terms of practicing and meeting future goals! :up:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 14:38 
Super User

I've pretty much started looping anything on my FH that goes off the end of the table.

Because of this, I lose some points I may used to have won, but my game is improving more. As my loops get faster, that push looping will become deadly!

Oh, but if it is SUPER heavy backspin, imight do something else.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 15:03 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
interesting .

i find here what you are actually doing is less "asking us what to do in a situation" and more "what should my style be"

its almost exactly the same thing as asking....if a loop comes to my forehand should i chop or counter loop, and my personal opinion is the same in both situations.

Do what ever you can to give you the most consistent ball that will win you the point the most amount of times.

if you opponent has an awesome block...why would you loop it?

if your opponent is awesome at attacking underspin... why would you push it?...

if you are out of position regardless of how good your opponent is...why would you loop it....

if you have a perfect opportunity to score a point with an easy loop that he cant get to....why would you push?

just my thoughts!

train both!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 08:16 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
interesting .

i find here what you are actually doing is less "asking us what to do in a situation" and more "what should my style be"

its almost exactly the same thing as asking....if a loop comes to my forehand should i chop or counter loop, and my personal opinion is the same in both situations.

Do what ever you can to give you the most consistent ball that will win you the point the most amount of times.

if you opponent has an awesome block...why would you loop it?

if your opponent is awesome at attacking underspin... why would you push it?...

if you are out of position regardless of how good your opponent is...why would you loop it....

if you have a perfect opportunity to score a point with an easy loop that he cant get to....why would you push?

just my thoughts!

train both!

Logic....I like that.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 08:37 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
THE GAMEr wrote:
Oh, but if it is SUPER heavy backspin, imight do something else.

I would spend some time working on this, too. Some players - like myself - might test out your ability to deal with a long, mega-heavy backspin serve and if you just push it back you'll find yourself facing a slow, mega-spinny third ball loop.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)