OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: stroke question
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 02:26 

Hi all,
I played last night at my club, and noticed a few things that I could use help with. I usually get to hit with a player who uses long pips ox on his backhand, I don't really know what you would call his style.... he blocks a lot with the pips, but can kill it with either side (tenergy on his forehand). when he gives me the pips I notice that I have to make a bigger looping swing to lift it up over the net, and these end up being some of my best shots (until he blocks a couple in a row). When I play players using inverted, I find it really hard to hit the same kind of shot without it being really high or long. The guy with the pips commented on how much more aggressive I was with that shot against him, so I don't know if I'm not hitting hard enough through the others or what. I would really like to be able to hit the same shot when I play people using inverted or sp, any thoughts?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: stroke question
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 17:50 
The Unprogrammable Player

You can try to do the same shot (I mean the same swing) vs attackers, but try to close your bat angle a bit more :) Also try to notice if your timing is different when you play vs attackers and when you play vs OX LP guy.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 21:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think that by giving you some backspin, he's making you load up your loop with topspin a lot more, which tends to give you more control as you can curve the ball on.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 01:36 

yeah haggis, that sounds right on. the more he gives it back to me with his pips the more he'll tell me to "lift" it. by the 3rd block or so (if it gets to that point), there's so much spin that i usually net. i end up hitting some nice loops though, which is tough for me against other players. blew my mind when he told me all the spin i was getting back was mine, he just kinda blocks it nonchalantly with his pips. just to be clear, he is an excellent player, and i've seen him hang with the best at our club. his style is just very laid back.

Justas, thanks for the tip, that sounds exactly like what I need to work on. i feel like on the "lifting" shots i swing more vertically, will this same swing work, or are the mechanics different? i think my timing is a lot different too, just because against my pips buddy the pace is naturally a little slower. I'm not typically a hitter so much as i try to just get a bat on it most of the time (i'm just a beginner), but i'm trying to be more aggressive and develop a good loop.
thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated!

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 20:18 
The Unprogrammable Player

jasontron wrote:
Justas, thanks for the tip, that sounds exactly like what I need to work on. i feel like on the "lifting" shots i swing more vertically, will this same swing work, or are the mechanics different?

This depends on how much you're swinging forward while you're swinging vertically. The ideal way would be to always have forward momentum, even while lifting the ball. This way its easy to adapt your stroke for offensive balls with the change of your bat angle.
Notice: I have in mind more "normal" loops. The mechanics for "slow and very spiny" loops usually differs from everything else.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)