OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Winning tight games
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 14:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
What do you do when the game get real tight towards the end?

Do you play it safe, or just go for it?

I often find myself throwing in more and more serves with the pimpled rubber, since I know these are harder to return when you tighten up... Even without pimples, the fast no-spin serves seem very effective...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 14:43 

I tend to tighten up and play more of a defensive game with more pushing, I just try and keep the ball in play. The last thing I want to do is play a loose ball or loop it off the table. I’m sure it’s very boring to watch and I should trust in my ability and play my game.

I believe it’s all a matter of confidence and being in the right frame of mind to go for the shots.

Pimple serves are good on tight points, I often throw one in myself. They often hit them off the table, mistaking it for topspin, once someone clipped the edge of the table to win the game – so it can back fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 15:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes i agree, we all tighen up a little...so i would not try my most risky serves or shots...

But it's worth thinking about what shots were successful and how you got this far in the game...

Some people like to try a range of different serves, and if they find one that works very well, they stop using it and save it till the end...

It's probably a worthy thing to think about now, rather than having to work it out while we're out there...

I guess you need a general strategy that can be adapted for different opponents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 15:59 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I usually pull out my backhand serves when the game gets close at the end (I usually serve with forehand). Sometimes, depending on the opponent, I'll make a show of switching to the backhand (taking my time, making eye contact with him etc.) and then give a nice exagerated slice at the ball, but really just give a float. My reasoning behind that approach is if he's the type who gets nervous underpressure and overthinks things, he'll see me switch to the new serve and get psyched out and overestimate the spin giving me a nice pop up.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 16:57 

i would take a time out and think and relax lol
think about how am i playing right now (how am i losing points and remind myself of the opponent's weaknesses) and after ur mind has cleared up. go back and play like usual with more focus :)

well thats one of the thing i do for sure because during tight games, everything are going really fast in my head and i cant think straight and playing dumb shots. im pretty sure other experience this too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 09:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that sounds familiar!

I think the pressure on yourself is often greater in team events, in matches where you're the higher ranked player, and are expected to win!

Especially in finals, the underdogs have a real advantage since they're not expected to win so there's much less pressure.... This works both ways of course!

Post subject: Re: Winning tight games
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 09:48 

haggisv wrote:
What do you do when the game get real tight towards the end?

Do you play it safe, or just go for it?

I often find myself throwing in more and more serves with the pimpled rubber, since I know these are harder to return when you tighten up... Even without pimples, the fast no-spin serves seem very effective...

IMHO, keeping a few serves under your belt for use during tight games is good tactics. I have a few myself.

Also, I got some other good advice on tight games. The basic idea is to increase your chances of winning.

So in those crucial moments, if playing passive will increase your chances of winning then do so. Putting more balls on the table puts pressure on the opponent and he/she may take the risk and eventually increases your chances of winning the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 21:28 

Its always best to play aggressively, but the skill is knowing when playing aggressive means keeping the ball in and draw that unforced error; or swing away for winners. As long as you're putting pressure on the opponent you're playing aggressively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 08:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Seems to me you're OVERQUALIFIED :lol:

Sounds like you need really the tips here in this thread...

PS Chocking may not be what happened... your opponent may just be very good at winning these types of points... and a bit of luck helps as well.

Think back what your opponent did, and learn from it...might be something you can use yourself next time :wink:

PS And if you do learn some good tips, don't forget to share them with us :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 02:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well in that case it was a really good effort mate! There's always next time...

Yes it would be interesting to know what went through his mind...if anything :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 19:31 
Super User

This is a fascinating topic. Our club recently went down to Coffs Harbour for a meet, and got thrashed :( Many of our games were lost in close matches, and to go with this there were also many 3-0 results to them. For reasons I don't fully understand, most of our players seemed to be suffering from the 'I don't win close matches' syndrome. There could be any number of reasons I suppose.

I know that I lost of a couple of rubbers I really could/should have won. Lots of silly shots, misses etc (was playing double inverted rubber back then - wouldn't mind having another go at them now I've joined the darkside ). :twisted:

It seems to me that to win a tight game better than 50:50 (i.e. to beat the averages), the following are key points:
1. Use shots that are well practised and lower risk.
2. When you are in a tight game, remind yourself that you have previously been able to win tight games - try and recall the good feeling when it happened - if you can translate that into even a small degree of confidence you will signal this to the other player and it may well unsettle him/her just a bit.
3. The other player is also in a tight game :!: That is, they too will be trying to not make mistakes. Anything you can do to signal quiet confidence will work in your favour. Think about it - you might even consider practising the body language and stance that signals more confidence and adopt it on purpose at just such times.

Now, for all that 'wisdom', I have to confess that I have probably lost more close games than I've won. I've think I've got tactics 2 and 3 working OK, but still need to get those good shots ready to use when needed. I.e. practice, practice, practice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:17 

I always tries to ajust my tactics to my opponent. If they have problems returning my serves, I tend to serve very spinny serves in the end of tight games. Often this will give a cheap point or a weak return. If my opponent return my serves well, I will try to set up a forehand attack.

Against LP players, I will often try a no spin serve or perhabs a light backspin serve. If the return is neutral without to much speed, I then have a good chance to make a winning stroke with my sp forehand :P . Sometimes I might even twiddle and loop with the inverted side in the forehand.

Against anti-spin I will always try to setup a forehand drive or smash as soon a possible.