OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2023, 23:41 

I miss (or at least mistime or hit out of sweet spot) the ball on backhand a lot. I find it useful to watch the ball until contact on forehand. But on backhand, just before the ball impacts, it disappears from my view for a second (because the bat blocks it). This is an even bigger problem if there is a big kick effect.

I position myself in front of ball with footwork for backhand, but it's actually less consistent than reaching to the side for me. This is because in addition to vision the problem above, when the ball is coming toward me directly, I cannot tell the speed and spin (It just looks like a circle getting slightly larger). On forehand, when watching the ball come at an angle. I can tell the speed and spin easily.

As a result, all I can do reliably on backhand side is block or bigger swings, not normal drives or flicks. I can't find anyone else with this problem, is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2023, 20:07 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Judging distance of objects, and hence also approach speed, depends to a great extent on stereoscopic vision. If your eyes are both in order, you should be able to determine the ball speed to some extent. Stereoscopic "speed measure" (standing in the ball's projected trajectory) is not as precise as the angular assessment (seeing trajectory from the side), as you have already mentioned. Most likely your situation is perfectly normal and nothing to do about it except practice.

I still offer a shot in the dark:
Some people develop ambyopia or "lazy eye", where one eye is highly dominant and the brain processes the input from the other eye at a slower rate, or sometimes not at all. The lazy eye can usually be trained. Search the web for info on ambyopia or lazy eye. There are resources for self help, and also treatment. It may take months before you notice improvement, so be patient (pun not intended).

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2023, 23:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
I have noticed like the OP, that at times I lose sight of the ball due to my paddle obstructing the view on my backhand. I am not sure of the answer, except hitting the ball later (after if falls below the line of sight) or being taller (lol) are the only options I "see".

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2023, 14:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Might this help? Note what he says about positioning yourself, and getting down low so you can judge when the ball is at the max height. Also note the role the free hand has in making the shot.

I suppose if you can make the big backhand swings Kreanga-style that might be worth developing as a skill.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2023, 23:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
iskandar taib wrote:

Might this help? Note what he says about positioning yourself, and getting down low so you can judge when the ball is at the max height. Also note the role the free hand has in making the shot.

I suppose if you can make the big backhand swings Kreanga-style that might be worth developing as a skill.. :lol:

Iskandar

I love the look in the kids eyes as he gets ready to receive. He looks scared to death! I don't know if it is a student or son, but i can imagine the conversation going like this:

Ti Long: I want to make a video

Son/Student: Ok, what are you teaching about?

Ti Long: Backhand rips off underspin balls

Son/Student: (mumbles in his head, "oh great, he is going to kill me"...

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2023, 20:48 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
The lazy eye and stereoscopic vision is quite interesting to me. I have astigmatism in one eye, but it's never hindered me in daily activity (or other parts of table tennis). It may be worth trying glasses again to see if anything changes.

I don't actually have any issue backhand looping against backspin. I get down low and can wait for the ball with paddle below.
The issue I have is with topspin and faster balls and topspin, coming to my backhand (and maybe short backspin). Low posture is almost mandatory for me for forehand, otherwise my arm blocks view so I cannot make last second adjustments. I understand this to be the correct practice, but maybe I'm too dependent on this?
For my backhand this is the opposite. If I'm low, my blade keeps getting in the way, unless it's lower waiting for a bigger hit.

I think I will also as suggested, maybe try taking the ball a little later...

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2023, 08:59 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
In my experience as a coach, what players think they are doing and what they are actually doing is often different. It would really help to see a side on video of you playing your BH against top spin and back spin.

Regardless of that the usual timing point for playing a BH against top spin is top of the bounce or just before, certainly not after the ball starts to drop. After the top of the bounce is common timing point for playing against back spin which coincidentally is a shot you have already told us you can play without problem.

This said one of the most common errors players make that I've coached is that they lean back on the forward motion of playing their BH. In leaning back the bat is often pulled away from the flight of the ball and changes their bat angle throwing their timing and perception off and resulting in complete misses of the ball. Try keeping your upper body locked in to position when you play the shot and see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2023, 13:47 

I'll see if I can get a video, but I need a training partner to give me back something with strong kick. I tend to be eye right above net level and leaning forward, usually hitting right off the bounce, which is a habit I am trying to dial back. Instead I have been trying to hit the ball right before it reaches top of bounce. Though recently I've tried waiting till after top of bounce, and it seems to help a bit, but now I need to adjust other things.

Hmm, another factor is, I think I have an issue consciously modifying my reactions. For example, I remember a 3rd ball attack practice session, I serve pendulum, partner returns the spin countered, and I could attack it with forehand, but never backhand, even though the spin is totally predictable. I *must* see it happen before my mind+body makes the correction. On forehand, I have time and clear side vision, on backhand, I don't have either.