OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Gorilla Rubber Defect ?
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 10:51 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
[imageleft][/imageleft]Hi all. Just ordered a setup from Paddle Palace. Primorac with Rozena on one side and Gorilla Neubauer anti on the other. However, I get the paddle out to play with it and discover some defects (creases) in the Gorilla anti. I called and the guy said he’d replace the Gorilla with another sheet. I wanted the factory cut and accuracy, but he said he’d rather I do it. After just saying that they put rubber on for people all the time. Was definitely not satisfied or happy with the result of the purchase. Now I don’t even want to play with it. Very disappointing. How could they not have seen the defect? Guy said it was a shipping issue and Neubauer rubber does this rarely.

How badly will this affect the play of the paddle?

Attachments:
807E5024-5B34-4474-A0A8-FA13A86F74B4.jpeg
807E5024-5B34-4474-A0A8-FA13A86F74B4.jpeg [ 23.21 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 13:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The picture is too small to see details, can upload a bigger one?

It looks to me like it was bent too much while putting it on, or it was removed from a blade before. I'm not sure about this particular rubber, but some anti rubbers are not really designed to be removed as they're too rigid, and if you bend it sharply during removal, it leaves permanent marks.

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 02:46 

haggisv wrote:
The picture is too small to see details, can upload a bigger one?

It looks to me like it was bent too much while putting it on, or it was removed from a blade before. I'm not sure about this particular rubber, but some anti rubbers are not really designed to be removed as they're too rigid, and if you bend it sharply during removal, it leaves permanent marks.

Attachments:
File comment: Thanks for the info Haggis. Should I even try to play with it? Someone said Paddle Palace will make it right, but just sending a replacement rubber doesn’t cut it to me. I wanted to send the whole setup back and get a new one.
22F86E5C-B3B5-4947-BAB3-8FC3D0537332.jpeg
22F86E5C-B3B5-4947-BAB3-8FC3D0537332.jpeg [ 246.77 KiB | Viewed 1126 times ]

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 08:33 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
It would seem to odd to see those wrinkles on a new Gorilla but the DR. Neubauer antis are somewhat sensitive in that regard, however this will not affect play at all. I recently received two new Dr. N antis and the mailman bent the package to shove it in the mailbox leaving crevasses on the rubbers. It doesn't affect play. Also, when you want to take the anti off a blade to move it to another you have to be very gentle and careful and sometimes you get those wrinkles but I never felt that it changed how the rubber plays. I can see though how it might bother you when ordering a new assembled blade from a reputable retailer.

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 11:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for the bigger picture. Yes it definitely looks like it was bent a little too far, which causes those wrinkle. The topsheets on these rubbers are hard and rigid, which don't allow for much bending. I've only ever seen it after I removed such a rubber from a blade, but I can understand how it could happen in transit (from Germany to Paddle palace) as well, if it was bent too much.

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 02:08 

Thanks to Haggis and Matt.

Haggis, do you think it will affect the play of the rubber? Matt doesn’t think so, and I appreciate the feedback. It was sent in a large box (I ordered a case, glue and a protective sheet as well). So, I don’t think the shipping is at fault, but rather the individual that put put the rubber on the blade.

If the customer is always right, and I believe in the old adage, then they should have paid for the return shipping, out a new sheet on, and sent it back. They didn’t want to do this. David said: I’d rather just send it to you and let you put it on.

So I’m supposed to deal with and fix their mistake after paying a good amount of $ to get something professionally done. Very bad way to do business.

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 14:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sardius wrote:
Haggis, do you think it will affect the play of the rubber? Matt doesn’t think so, and I appreciate the feedback.

Very hard to say as I don't usually play with Anti, but I would trust Matt's opinion.

Sardius wrote:
It was sent in a large box (I ordered a case, glue and a protective sheet as well). So, I don’t think the shipping is at fault, but rather the individual that put put the rubber on the blade.

I agree, I was referring to the shipping from Dr N in Germany to Paddle Palace.

Sardius wrote:
David said: I’d rather just send it to you and let you put it on.

It's possible that these sheets are slightly bent (domed) to start with, and in the process of putting it onto the blade, the wrinkles occur.

You could always contact Dr N in Germany directly to ask if this is normal. In my experience they're really nice and friendly people to deal with, and they care a great deal about their products. Carsten is even a member of this forum.

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 03:56 

haggisv wrote:
Sardius wrote:
Haggis, do you think it will affect the play of the rubber? Matt doesn’t think so, and I appreciate the feedback.

Very hard to say as I don't usually play with Anti, but I would trust Matt's opinion.

Sardius wrote:
It was sent in a large box (I ordered a case, glue and a protective sheet as well). So, I don’t think the shipping is at fault, but rather the individual that put put the rubber on the blade.

I agree, I was referring to the shipping from Dr N in Germany to Paddle Palace.

Sardius wrote:
David said: I’d rather just send it to you and let you put it on.

It's possible that these sheets are slightly bent (domed) to start with, and in the process of putting it onto the blade, the wrinkles occur.

You could always contact Dr N in Germany directly to ask if this is normal. In my experience they're really nice and friendly people to deal with, and they care a great deal about their products. Carsten is even a member of this forum.