OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:06 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Had another hit with it. While you can do drop shots, there's still not enough reverse spin to build a game around (a la Super Block). The great thing about this rubber is its reliability and control. You can consistently counter with a choice of chop, no spin or top and keep the ball in play. Might be tricky to play against and would certainly wear down a lot of opponents.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:09 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

speedplay wrote:
Oh people, please!

Like my temptation isn't big enough with out you telling me how great it is? Can someone please post a very negative review of this, so I can save some money, after all, it is soon Christmas and I doubt if my kid's would appreciate a sheet of DR. Neubauer Gorilla as their only Christmas gift :twisted:

don't worry man, I ripped my anti into small pieces after the last league game and the ensuing 'discussion' in the bar. Insider for me as from tomorrow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:23 
The Twiddler

Ok, I too have had a hit with this tonight and....well.....it works!

Ok, so it’s not that simple as you do have to change the bat angle slightly compared to the Insider, but it took me about 15 minutes before I’d worked out the angles and was blocking back with venom!!

Lets start off with the sponge. It’s totally different! The old sponge was...well sponge but this stuff is like nothing I’ve seen before....I mean it’s almost like cardboard. Sufficed to say that rubber feels stiff and hard compared to anything else I’ve ever seen.

I glued this to my defensive “Best of Five” blade and when bouncing the ball, it’s marginally and I do mean marginally quicker than the Juic Neo Anti I had on the previous. So nice and dead then :)

Onto the practice. I had someone loop at me and once I’d worked out the angles, it was very easy to block back. I can’t compare it to Superblock but it’s not far off the old pace of my Inferno. Granted, the Inferno was glued to an ALL+ blade and I’m now using a DEF blade, so this will have some impact on the speed.

However, blocking back was MUCH easier than it was before. Not only that, but I’m getting more reversal than any other rubber I’ve tried. The ball just fizzed over with so much back spin after blocking one loop that the second loop was nye on impossible.

Would I recommend it? Well yes if you have a DEF blade to put it onto. I did also try a sheet on the Neubauer Special blade (in red) and it did feel quite fast, but then I was coming from my Best of Five blade which is a lot slower anyway. My DEF blade has the Gorilla in black and I couldn’t tell any difference between the two in terms of reversal.

So, in my eyes it is as easy to control as the Neo Anti (on my blade) and has massive reversal in comparison to my old Insider! I’m going to play with this setup going forward as I really do think I’m onto a winner here. I’ll keep on reporting back with my progress with it, but it really does feel a lot better.

Lastly, I would say that I cannot stress enough that I have only really tried this properly on a DEF blade. To give you an idea, I put my Juic Neo Anti on my ALL+ blade and couldn’t control it. It was way to fast!! However on my DEF blade it was totally different....almost like a different rubber. The Gorilla plus my new DEF blade is a perfect combination. I’ve got to practice with it of course, but that is really just to learn the shots and angles.....I mean I’ve not played the frictionless way for a while now.

However it does what is says on the tin. Good control, superb reversal and the best thing I’ve tried yet. It's really going to mess the opposition up as the sound it makes on my blade doesn't sound much different to my inverted rubber. Therefore when chopping and twiddling the blade, it's very hard to read what spin is on the ball from just listening too it. I was winning a lot of points with the twiddle mixing spin and no spin. Also the flight of the ball doesn't really change when you chop dig into it so again it's hard to read.

I did produce some great "wobble" balls as well by stabbing at the service return :D

Overall I'm very pleased with it and looking forward to continue practicing :D

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

speedplay wrote:
Like my temptation isn't big enough with out you telling me how great it is? Can someone please post a very negative review of this, so I can save some money

Well, it seems the Doctor is getting closer to getting it right. My first impression is this has both the slickness of Super Anti and the spin-producing properties of Neo Anti. I wonder if the black is even better?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:33 
The Twiddler

mynamenotbob wrote:
speedplay wrote:
Like my temptation isn't big enough with out you telling me how great it is? Can someone please post a very negative review of this, so I can save some money

Well, it seems the Doctor is getting closer to getting it right. My firt impression is this has both the slickness of Super Anti and the spin-producing properties of Neo Anti. I wonder if the black is even better?

The black is VERY slick :)

The red feels pretty slick but I couldn't really tell if one had better reversal than the other. Mind you they were on totally different blades.

I found that my black version had masses and I mean MASSES more reversal than my black Neo Anti! :twisted:

-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 08:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

ChrisBuer wrote:
The black is VERY slick :) The red feels pretty slick but I couldn't really tell if one had better reversal than the other. Mind you they were on totally different blades. I found that my black version had masses and I mean MASSES more reversal than my black Neo Anti! :twisted:

I'll have to get a sheet of the black Gorilla. I've been making good progress with the black Phantom, the supreme chop blocking rubber, but this stuff seems so much more versatile I think it's worth exploring further.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 09:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
it really sounds like the Hallmark sponge...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 10:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
it really sounds like the Hallmark sponge...

I think this stuff is denser than the Hallmark sponge. Quite a breakthrough IMO. Not a pure frictionless pip replacement, but it gives you the advantages of both a traditional slick anti and a new generation spin producing anti. I just ordered some more in black.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 10:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

speedplay wrote:
I agree, it does sound a lot like the Mirage, exept for the fact that people claim they get good reversal from it.

This is infinitely better than Mirage. There is no comparison. It's like Super Anti and Neo Anti got combined into a "Super Neo Anti." Very interesting stuff.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 12:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

It's nice to see a post-frictionless rubber surpass expectations for once, especially after how bad the original Gorilla was. My faith is slowly being restored in the Dr. Neubauer company and I wonder how the two new antis in the pipeline will compare...

Here's a shot of the famous sponge.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 13:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
nice picture, looks like a delicious piece of cake :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 14:02 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

damn, i want this rubber.

so expensive >.<

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 17:53 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Very interesting. We need to know how this compares to the new Dr N anti's and we need to know quickly.

Julian...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 18:03 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

dingwol2 wrote:
Very interesting. We need to know how this compares to the new Dr N anti's and we need to know quickly.

Julian...?

sorry man, I've just cancelled the order. I was so disgusted about loosing for the team 'again' on sunday, the only way I could placate my team members was to publicly destroy the super anti and promise never to be so stupid as to play a league match with anti ever again. I'm picking up a sheet of Insider today as a stop gap until I can get a sheet of p3 alpha, and then I'll try the fireproof that Alex is sending me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 18:48 
The Twiddler

Julian, I know how you feel...I went through the very same feelings last week and ended up publicly destroying my Fibrecomp blade.

However, having played with the Insider since the start of the season and having had a knock with this new Gorilla, I can say that you will get a LOT more reversal with this anti. For me, Insider has a similar feel in control to Inferno (not as easy to control spin mind you) but it doesn't do anything with the spin....it just seems to kill it. Therefore it's no different to playing with a dead anti.

I then tried some Juic Neo Anti and whereas that had really good control, again it didn't do anything with the ball. It just killed the spin. That's all fair and well if you just want to block the ball back onto the table, but after blocking two, three, four shots back, my opponent was just attacking the next ball every time without any problems.

Last night when I had a hit with this new sponged Gorilla, I blocked the first ball back and it fizzed off the table. This isn't an anti rubber at all, it's a frictionless rubber! Also when I returned a heavy spin serve and dropped it short, my opponent came into the table to push it back and it flew off his bat. I just gave him all of his spin back and he said afterwards "that is impossible to play against".

All I'm trying to say is don't let a bad experience with anti put you off. Trust me, this Neubauer stuff isn't anything like normal anti. I've never seen an anti manage to literally banana shot the ball back onto the table. It makes your eyes wobble when you see the ball swerving about and gave me a headache :lol:

Bottom line, there is nothing else I've tried on the market (and believe me, I've tried a lot) that plays anything like this stuff. It's evil with a capital E! :twisted:

What's really going to mess people up is that they will play it like an anti, assuming there is no spin balls coming back and they're not going to have any idea what sort of spin is on it. If they spin to it, they get everything back and if they push to it, you can hit through the ball. As NotBob said, it's very versatile!

Of course it's not going to be that simple and will require practice. I mean you can't just pick up someone else's bat and play with it the same way you can play with your own (generally speaking). But I've had a taste of what this can do and it's exactly what I've been looking for.

I don't know how it will compare to the newer Dr.N anti's, but on the blade I have, I can't say I'd want it too much slower otherwise it would start getting a little difficult getting it over the net. Well in my opinion anyway. :D

-----

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next