OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Tournament tomorrow...
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 15:32 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Oh. My. Gosh.

I have to say im a bit nervous...but i have no fear. I have new shoes... LOL

Its lime the oregon state championships or something...Slade can tell you more about it. I think hell be there.

Now i just have to drink lotsa water, relax and relax some more. Shoot, i hope i win one game in the elimination round in the round robin.

I have tons of things that i worry about, like if the admins accepted my form, or if i get injured, or i cant chop well because c8 is too fast. But i tell myself not to worry, and ill be fine.

Ill get back to you guys later tomorrow...

Oh my gosh!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 21:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Good luck! I have a tournament today too, in Schaumburg, IL. It's my first tournament with the Palio Thor's. I've struggled a bit down there the last few times I've played there, so I'm hoping for some good results today. Gotta get prepared for the big 4-star Badger Open next weekend! My goal is to get back to hitting more with my pips and see if I have improved my consistency and pushes since the last tournament down there.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 00:00 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

http://protabletennis.net/content/mental-side

Check it out :)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 04:00 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

several things.

1-I lost every match. ;( but those players were like 1400+, so I cant compete with them yet.

I need to work on footwork, service, and a ton of other stuff before i can think i can beat them. all games had at most 5 points for me. mostly less.

2-no after round. I didnt get to play more against the people who lost like me. it was only elimination, then nothing for the loser.

3-i need a slower long pip. my coach says i need a slower and larger blade, but something like 755 or neptune would do. C8 is just too fast for me, even in OX.

Im dissapointed that i didnt win anything, even though playing these loopers (and a chopper too) felt like defending against a machine gun with a garbage can lid.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 06:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
ilikepie wrote:
several things.

1-I lost every match. ;( but those players were like 1400+, so I cant compete with them yet.

I need to work on footwork, service, and a ton of other stuff before i can think i can beat them. all games had at most 5 points for me. mostly less.

2-no after round. I didnt get to play more against the people who lost like me. it was only elimination, then nothing for the loser.

3-i need a slower long pip. my coach says i need a slower and larger blade, but something like 755 or neptune would do. C8 is just too fast for me, even in OX.

Im dissapointed that i didnt win anything, even though playing these loopers (and a chopper too) felt like defending against a machine gun with a garbage can lid.

I understand what you're experiencing. I played two tournaments and I was beaten to death by the guys there. Then I started thinking what I was doing wrong... Today I won my third tournament with a setup I've only been using for a week. :D Just think what you're doing wrong: imagine the stroke you need to be hitting, the strategy to be used,... If you feel good at training with the material you're playing, don't change. It will only confuse you even more.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 07:18 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Lorre wrote:
ilikepie wrote:
several things.

I understand what you're experiencing. I played two tournaments and I was beaten to death by the guys there. Then I started thinking what I was doing wrong... Today I won my third tournament with a setup I've only been using for a week. :D Just think what you're doing wrong: imagine the stroke you need to be hitting, the strategy to be used,... If you feel good at training with the material you're playing, don't change. It will only confuse you even more.

I can only get 2-3 chops on the table until it flies off.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 07:20 
Super User

ilikepie wrote:
I can only get 2-3 chops on the table until it flies off.

if it goes often long then you need slower setup

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 07:35 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

YosuaYosan wrote:
http://protabletennis.net/content/mental-side

Check it out :)

Some good reading there (I read some) but its mainly about being positive and setting high goals, cheers for that

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 07:46 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

ilikepie wrote:
several things.

Just from the outside I know you have tried the 755 and its a good allround pimple, your coach is giving you good advice but once you have selected your combo then stay with it it seems that for a 14 year old you have tried toooooo many rubbers and blades so get 1 and then practice , it realy is a better key to doing well than EJaying.
Also you nust be able to use your pimples for more rolling and deception as chopping alone won't win against certain styles (at least it gives you a plan B) I was playing interclub aginst 2 Chinese hitters and I was failing so my 12yold coach comes up and shakes his head and says its my forehand backspin is working so concentrate on that and I ended up winning both, funny what you can't see at times lol
So go in with a expectation of winning your pool/ getting 8,9.10, 11 points, fighting hard and being positive

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 09:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
rodderz wrote:
I was failing so my 12yold coach comes up and shakes his head and says......

That explains a lot...... :P :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 10:29 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Schade. Get back in the fight again soon.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 17:15 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I'll take a ride with this thread. I will be joining a tourney 2 days from now. Around 25-30 seasoned participants..

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 19:27 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

rodderz wrote:
... your coach is giving you good advice but once you have selected your combo then stay with it it ...

... I was failing so my 12yold coach comes up and shakes his head and says its my forehand backspin is working so concentrate on that and I ended up winning both, funny what you can't see at times lol ...

+1 on those.
The one player you can't see is yourself (there's video, but that's not the same as a live view). Listen to your friends who can see what you're doing (or your coach if you have one).

Also, a lot of major equipment changes is not advisable until you have a consistent technique. For technique building, "too slow" is better than "too fast", because while there are not so many "winners" you will also make less mistakes. Easier to adjust your technique, and more opportunities to do so (less time spent picking up the ball...).

Note that, in my opinion, "consistent" is more important than "perfect". Every player is different, so "textbook technique" is not for everyone.
Note also that this (imagined?) "textbook" is still important as a guiding line.

Once your technique is properly drilled down, it may be time to look around to find the optimal combo for your game. With a solid foundation you can better assess the differences between blades/rubbers and determine what suits you best. Even then, listen to an experienced coach. The equipment that feels just right isn't always optimal for your game. (Comfort zone vs. performance zone...)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 22:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Red_lion wrote:
I'll take a ride with this thread. I will be joining a tourney 2 days from now. Around 25-30 seasoned participants..

Red, please start your own new thread about your tourney. I don't think using ILP's will get the attention yours deserves. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 10:12 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Red_lion wrote:

Red, please start your own new thread about your tourney. I don't think using ILP's will get the attention yours deserves. ;)

Yeah, cuz' no one ever look sat my posts twice :D

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!