OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 07:28 

Just started recently and I'd like advice on whether a harder blade may be best for the penhold style I'm trying to use, rather than a medium or softer blade. I think I have the good hands and touch to handle a harder blade.

On BH I mostly use RPB, but also use TPB when needed. I play a very up tempo serve and receive, 3rd ball attack, off the bounce, at the table and over the table. On FH a hit flat whenever possible. With TPB I punch block whenever possible.

Blade and rubber suggestions are welcome. I'm considering a Butterfly Chinese Tamca ULC PH blade with Tenergy 05 FX on BH and short pips on FH. A player who's style I'd like to emulate is penholder Jiaqi Zheng. I believe she uses a Butterfly Timo Boll T5000 (Tamca) PH, which is very fast, stiff, and quite hard. I believe that blade may be several grams too heavy for. Zheng uses T05 FX on BH and JOOLA Ultra Express SP on FH. Instead of SP for FH, I'm also considering a good flat hitting, low spin sensitivity inverted rubber, such as Gambler Outlaw.

I'm wondering if the widely used Yasaka Extra Offensive is better suited to the style I want. The YEO is less stiff, with a softer feel, and a bit heavier than the BTY Chinese ULC I'm looking at. Fortunately, expense is not a big issue for me.

Tks,
syncup00

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 10:50 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
Blade- any arylate carbon blade e.g tbs, yinhe v-14, taksim (best of both worlds, it is stiff yet the feeling is soft)
Rubber- Stiga Calibra series (low throw and not to sensitive to spin, suitable for close to table attack)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 10:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think the Yasaka Extra is too soft for short pips, better to use a harder blade like the Yasaka Max Wood, Taksim or Shamada. Also Ilike the Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpha for that style.

For BH rubber I found Tenergy hard to use, I prefer a more traditional rubber like Nittaku Nodias, Butterfly Tackifire or the new Juic Nano Spin felt good on the Juic blade.

For FH rubber, keep it thin, like 1.5-1.8 don't really need the extra speed of max sponge.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black