OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 03:01 

I've noticed that I have trouble playing against younger kids who enjoy to play fast attacks, which I find a bit irritating. You are probably wondering, aren't most penholders fast attackers? I play mostly mid distance and I loop a lot, but the problem is that I have trouble going full gear with my attacks. It's easier in practice than being done in play and it's very annoying. Worst part is that I keep jamming myself and it really doesn't help with a rather sore ankle. It's really weird at times because I would play really well against a 2300 rated player, but struggle against a 1200 player. The kid is without a doubt improving, but normally I don't let these things slide. I do realize that I have trouble adjusting to different speed and generating my own attacks. My feet weren't responding all that well and I get fatigued after awhile.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 09:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Most of the young kids love fast loops with moderate spin... they practice these all the time so they get very good at it. They're usually taught to block them back fast as well, which is probably what gets you into trouble.

The solution is, don't feed those to them. Chop the ball or feed them slow spinny loops, mix it up. They'll have much more trouble with those, and if they can them back they'll often come back slower, giving you more time for your next shot.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 03:16 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Make sure you aim the ball properly too. If you hit into their backhand they'll love that and if you hit wide to their forehand (excluding hitting it past them, obviously) they'll tend to angle the ball well past your forehand.

Aim really wide, or aim into their playing elbow. Make them stretch on their backhand block.

Most of all though, as Alex says, I bet if you slow-loop the ball with a lot of spin, they'll struggle.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 04:43 

I would second that: kids are typically not good at blocking slow, spinny openings. They never see them in the drills they do in training so they reflexively keep their racket too open. The kids I face typically have weaker backhands than forehands so relentlessly going to the bh often works.

This being said, I usually lose to them anyway... :^)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 07:07 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Another vote for chops and various spin other than topspin, as long as more spin than speed. :)

And to add, slowing the game to own pace works. Never try to engage in reflect battle against energizer bunnies. :)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 08:33 
Super User

give them things they cannot drive. chopping is the easy fix. although chopping with a pen grip takes a little practice. there is a great vid for this in this topic. be prepared for the weak return and strike. I also attack the 3rd ball off a short serve. I'm older too so I when I'm hurt (which is often) keep the points short. it also keeps the kid from falling into a rhythm.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 18:51 
Super User

I would approach it another way.

If you give him chop, slow spin, he will learn and adapt to that.

You sound like an attacking player, but with a limitation on movement (ankle).

Why not try attacking close to the table, 3rd ball attack off service - take him out of his comfort zone - take the initiative playing your good shots, winning the point early - not getting into long rallies or rallies where you are away from the table. If you stay close to the table, if he counter hits your 3rd ball attack, block at an angle and try to get him to return a high ball for you to kill on 5th ball.

If this tactic doesn't work, then i would keep it tight, chop, and try catch him out with spins.

I think it is better to go for it a bit at first, as if it works you will be confident and keep hitting well...where as if you start off keeping it tight and that doesn't work, attacking under pressure playing catch up is much harder. Is attacking isn't working, it's easier to switch to a push chop game, waiting for a chance to spin one up.

That's my approach if you are an attacking player - impose your self on him, visualise yourself playing your best attacking shots, and go for it (close in!).

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 19:12 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
There are a significant number of players in my league who would play better against higher-rated players. That's because the higher-rated players come at them more, allowing them to block (which, if you've played for a while, is quite a low-effort part of the game). Against lower-rated players who push more and don't open up, those same players will play worse because they have to have the confidence and ability to open up for themselves.

If that's your main problem, there isn't really any shortcuts. Chopping/pushing won't help you, it'll just lead to horribly drawn-out games. The only thing you can do is to consistently work on your third and fifth ball attacks. Get a slow opening loop developed and rely on it until you know when to powerloop/kill/slow-loop each third ball attack.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 20:30 
Super User

dunc wrote:
There are a significant number of players in my league who would play better against higher-rated players.

This also happens because often you relax against a better player, you are not expected to win, so there are no consequences.

You / we should approach all games like this!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 15:38 
Super User

I forgot about that. I lose to bunches of better player. lol

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!