OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 13:28 
Cho Tokusen

What would be the best for beginner to learn traditional penhold backhand smash, start with slow speed and try to land it on the opposite table as much as possible or start a bit faster with small percentage of landings on the opposite table ?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 14:00 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I see a lot of old school J-Pen players who never switched in KOrea, they just let it rip if it is in their zone and they like it, they kinda streaky.

I saw about zero new beginning players with J-pen over there, I think the J-Pen party is about over, unless Ryu Seung Min's sons learn J-Pen.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 14:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
To answer the question though...I'd start slow landing as many as possible and build up speed from there.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 16:25 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
if you have someone to spar with you then go with the slow approach...

if in the middle of a game, just let it rip! :devil:
if it's slow the opponent is going to hit it hard back at you, so you might as well hit it hard in the first place...

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016, 19:35 
Cho Tokusen

Thanks for all your advices.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 01:57 
Super User

don't listen to Der Ecthe. I've heard the about the demise of penholder for years. I agree that innovation for the J pens is limited but there are Japanese and Korean clubs that are 90% j pen on the web. I feel that it isn't the grip...it is athletic ability and coaching.

I've a few expensive j pens and it is my weakest discipline. what you need to do in j pen is master the change in grip from forehand to backhand.

for smashing, if you have a good blade and rubber, master coming across the top of the ball as the ball gets higher.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 03:46 

Hey TT Doc, I live closer to you than you might realize :D One day we might meet at a club or tourney. Bring Ur WMD.

Still, advising people to not listen to me is for the most part generally good advise, I have a rep of being full of crap and trying to be the funny guy and failing. I stand by my J-Pen Korea comments, I was boots on ground over there a good spell and was one with their TT community.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 05:02 
Super User

Der Eecte, Your credentials are impressive. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic about penholds. First saw them in the 60's when they came for ping pong diplomacy. University of Maryland. The US team won one match. And even he was or oriental heritage albeit penhold.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 10:07 
Cho Tokusen

I reduced the speed and land 25% more on the opposite table :D
It is an improvement and I believe that as time passes it will increase some more.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 13:53 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

good job!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 04:50 

TableTennisDoc wrote:
Der Eecte, Your credentials are impressive. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic about penholds. First saw them in the 60's when they came for ping pong diplomacy. University of Maryland. The US team won one match. And even he was or oriental heritage albeit penhold.

I have zero against Penhold, especially the J-Pen that is going away for the most part. In the 70s/80s, it was over 90% J-pen. by late 2000s, maybe 85-90% shakehand, 5-10% C-Pen and remainder J-Pen. Among the top amatures, different as most of the top amatures are over 40 yrs old. The division 3 national and above field (2000 USATT starters at div 3 and 2400 USATT at top s of Div 1 Natl) is kinda like 20-30% J-Pen, 10-20% C-Pen, and 60%+ shakehand.

Very little TT credentials, being Janitor of a new TT outfit isn't a whole lotta cred. President of a TT association in Korea getting sponsored primarily from a continued large forum presence, being full of crap, and Korean speaking skills shouldn't carry a lot of cred either. I do, however, have an ability to have a rip roaring blast wherever I go, maybe that is it. Our CEO is elite though.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 14:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
TableTennisDoc wrote:
don't listen to Der Ecthe. I've heard the about the demise of penholder for years. I agree that innovation for the J pens is limited but there are Japanese and Korean clubs that are 90% j pen on the web. I feel that it isn't the grip...it is athletic ability and coaching.

I've a few expensive j pens and it is my weakest discipline. what you need to do in j pen is master the change in grip from forehand to backhand.

for smashing, if you have a good blade and rubber, master coming across the top of the ball as the ball gets higher.

One of my most difficult opponents in my club is a J-penner who twiddles a lot with Dawei 388D-1 on the FH and Rasant on the BH. He doesn't smash off the BH, but rather has an ultra spinny side-spin loop. He smashes with the pips off the FH, but mainly "loops" and pushes with them. How he manages to twiddle the j-pen so quickly and deftly, I don't know. Oh and his nationality is Taiwanese, so perhaps J-Pen is alive and well in Taiwan.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 16:47 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Jpen is alive and well in Japan and Taiwan, like cpen in China and Singapore. But I agree with Der_Echte that the numbers in comparison as a whole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 09:45 
Super User

Hey aeoliah. I was just thinking about your original question. Reviewed some matches of rhy seung min and realize he had very few bachand winners. Jpen players usually have very Quick footwork and hit almost 90% forehands. I was a one sided Cpen player in my youth and except for returning serve I would go whole matches and hit nothing but forehands dominating points that way. I would attempt traditional Cpen backhand winner when I was up by 5 points or more if I was out of position. We were playing to 21 back then.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 00:46 
Cho Tokusen

Hi Table Tennis Doc,
I play for fun and never join any tournament, and for me it does not matter if I lose. So I am now trying to learn the backhand smash but due to my old age, I do not know if I would reach a decent level :)