OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 05:54 

Blade: Darker Speed25pi
FH: Yinhe Earth II
Normally, when a long backspin comes your way, you are expected to topspin it back in order to keep up with modern table tennis. My question to you is how do you deal with long backspins to the backhand?
I am able to do a sort of open face "topspin shot" with my backhand, but, even when it goes on the table, it's just a relatively slow topspin that is easy to counter back. I am also doomed if I commit to a pivot forehand. My footwork is not good enough to compensate for my backhand, so I have to get better with my backhand. I also have some trouble with super-wide serves to my forehand (I'm a lefty) and with course changes mid rally, as I feel really off balance after my shots . If you have any tips regarding that I'd appreciate it. I'm in a bit of a slump with my playing style. :oops:

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 07:18 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
I feel your pain, as I have been in the same boat for a long time. At least for those of us who don't expect to get a lot faster (speaking for myself, of course!), I believe the greatest gains come from improving the backhand. I have worked really hard over the last months to improve both the consistency and power of my backhand, and I am finally seeing results. I suggest picking a top player with a backhand you like and trying to emulate that stroke. For me it was finally the backhand of Ai Fukuhara that clicked and led to the improvement. Of course, she looks a lot better than me when she does it!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 05:37 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
As I’m a modern penholder- please take my answer with a grain of salt.

If I only were using TPB and received long underspin on BH side, my mindset would be to push it back to a favorable position / angle /depth / heaviness to set up a forehand attack (opening or counter).

Don’t feel the pressure to open a ball you’re not comfortable with opening. Be strategic on your response and set yourself up for that first attack. Or- expect that they will open up your push and be ready to counter (as you could predict the response/direction if you push well enough).

The very act of pushing may even increase your chance of winning that point as they also may screw up the opening or push back into the net. As the match evolves and if they keep giving long underspin to BH side, you could then expect it and be ready to attack it by turning the corner.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 07:42 

Blade: Darker Speed25pi
FH: Yinhe Earth II
You've got a point. I make a lot of unforced errors with my backhand still and my tolerance for speed/spin is worse than my forehand. That, I expect, is normal and just me needing more practice. :)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 10:41 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
I'm not a penholder, but I've heard that penholders' short game is supposedly MUCH better than a shakehand player's (Something about having better control over the racket & no crossover point when pushing).

If the backspin ball is short (e.g. after a serve), try playing the short game & seeing if they can keep up with you. If the ball is long, I guess just do as Alas said & push it back to somewhere awkward (elbow, deep to a corner, drop it short if possible & return to the short game, etc.) and look to attack the next ball.

Hope this helps!