OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Complete Newbie!
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 04:40 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Hello gang,

I'm a complete newbie to jpen. As a kid I played cpen, but when I started again as an adult about ten years ago, I played shakehand. I've recently been rebooting my attitude to table tennis - I had started no longer having fun, so one of the things I did this week was to buy a cheap jpen and have a mess around with it.

I've played for a few days with my son (who is a decent recreational player) and then this afternoon went to my local club where they have a kind of social top table session, and I played there - giving away a handicap of 2-4 points in every match.

I had a whale of a time, and while I only won a few, I felt I was learning a lot, and when I played a few games with my regular setup, it wasn't as fun by far.

I'm mostly not playing competitively any more - just for exercise and enjoyment, so I think I will stick with jpen for a while.

Main question:

What approaches are there for a fast long serve into BH? With reverse rubber on the bh of a s/h, I can attack hard. Or with LP on the bh I can chop or bump. With jpen BH it seems like my two options are a block or a chop. How do you stop this being a liability?

Similarly, the better players played a lot into my BH. I am used to this as a LP player, but I can twiddle and attack, or depending on time play a fh from bh. I can still do the latter (actually even better), but the lack of a BH attack again feels like a liability.

The positive side is my serves are much better, my touch play and pushes seems at least as good, my FH hit is if anything better, as is my FH topspin.

Interested to hear from experienced players!