OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 13:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 23:22 
The Wood Magician

Jolan,

Thanks for your kind words about the Sotto Voce - I appreciate the comments. It was a real pleasure to work with you on it. Even though I overshot your desired speed target, you graciously compensated with the change in rubber. I'm happy to hear that you found a combination that works well for you. Good luck to you with it!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 10:47 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Hi all,
I haven't post on here for quite a while and its coos to busy playing as well not changing equipment much any more.
Any way While reading a while ago I stumbled on to custom blades here and decided to order one from Ross.
Intention was to try and get something similar to Acoustic with changes of few things I didn't like with Nittaku Acoustic blade.
Witch was thin handle and limba-limba on forehand in terms of feel.
So few months ago I ordered one from Ross to make.

Ross has made a template that was very close in terms of blade shape to Acoustic but couldn't get Tung wood for centre ply! so blade wood choice was:

Koto-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba with Tapered Flared handle made of Ziricote,Maple and Bocote wood
Blade weight 87 grams, perfect

Now It got me little time to get used to Tapered Flared handle but now I cant notice that any more.

I hope that Ross can post pictures of blade for me,Thanks

Ok now rubbers Im playing on are Andro Hexer 2.1mm on forehand side were is Koto-Limba and Andro Roxon 450 2.0mm on backhand Limba-Limba

Blade to me compared to Acoustic has more crisp feel well Center core is Ayous so that may be why.
Rosses blade is more forgiving as well has lots more control at table play than Acoustic.

I will say blade has lots of gears harder I loop faster response I get from Blade but funny always lots of spin on the ball( All i hear from opponents is "How spiny")
Blade has good dwell time very spiny on slow and opening loops,
I will still rate blade as All+ blade but with excellent capability to play away from table with power loops.

Short serves are easy,no problem
Easy to play opening loops to get in aggressive play
Blade compared to Acoustic gives me absolute consistency, specially in situations when I’m under pressure and defending from away of table to initiate counter against topspin.

Koto-Limba on forehand gives me just a touch harder feel than limba-Limba on backhand and that is what I need when playing aggressive ,were softer feel of Limba-Limba
on backhand gives me great touch for opening loop's against backspin and blocking.
Blocking is another part were this blade shine's.Blocks are fast and penetrating from both sides of blade and its real good weapon.

Playing game at the table with short pushing (believe me I don't push ball twice) but were I have to push its easy and produces quite heavy backspin.

I have played with blade for 2-3 months now and I”M MORE THAN HAPPY WITH IT actually quite surprised the way it plays.
Feel of the blade is one thing i cant get over with ,its so crisp but no unwanted vibration just great feel of every ball that touches blade,very unique.Really hard
to describe (you have to play with it to get the feel).

Over all fantastic blade for topspin/looping game with very good control and Dwell time.
I would definitely recommend it to loppers out there.

Terms of Craftsmanship and quality, its brilliant work fantastic Ross cant be happier.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 21:55 
The Wood Magician

Purger,

As requested, here's a few photos of your blade. Thanks for the great review! We rolled the dice a bit not being able to duplicate the core of the Acoustic, but it sounds like the substitution is working out fine. I'm happy to hear that the blade meets your expectations. Best of luck to you using it.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 02:58 

Blade: ANTI HERO
FH: PISTOL(1.00mm)
BH: VORTEX(1.2MM)
First of all, I would like to thank Ross for making this blade for me. The blade turned out to be much better than I thought. It has more control than other blades that I have played. The balance of the speed and rebound on the backhand side is exactly what I wanted with Grass D-Tecs OX (no glue sheet). It is really slow when blocking (the ball drops very close to the net) but fast when hitting the ball. I used Dr. Neubauer Pistol 1.6mm on the forehand side and I have obtained the best results ever for this rubber with this blade. I also tried using Tibhar grass D-Tecs VIP 2.1mm but it turned out to be too fast for me. In a few days, I will try using Dr. Neubauer Leopard 1.5mm and Andro Blowfish 1.8mm with this blade and let you know about the results.

Image[/quote]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 01:55 
The Wood Magician

In an attempt to consolidate the information about my blades, I've been working on putting together a dedicated website. After much fussing around on it for way too long, I finally went live today. It's still a work in progress, but it's a start. For anyone who would like to check it out, here it is: http://rossleidy.com Constructive criticism is welcome via email or PM.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 10:49 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

whats the composition of this one???? and how thick is it??

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 11:02 
The Wood Magician

Gokcer started his own thread on this blade here. All is revealed in that thread. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 12:22 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

thanks ross

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 10:36 
The Wood Magician

Here is a pair of blades that I recently completed. I was particularly pleased with the color of the bubinga on the handles (on the light color blade face side). It just glowed.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 10:38 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Makes you not want to ruin them by attaching rubbers. :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 11:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mynamenotbob wrote:

My thoughts exactly! I'd want to frame them and hang them on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 09:04 
The Wood Magician

haggisv wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

My thoughts exactly! I'd want to frame them and hang them on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the compliment! :)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 08:05 
Super User

Could you make a blade with rosewood and hinoki? What's the price of a custom blade made by you?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 09:25 
The Wood Magician

sunflex wrote:
Could you make a blade with rosewood and hinoki? What's the price of a custom blade made by you?

Please contact me via PM or via the contact page on http://rossleidy.com. Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm curious Ross, how you select your materials? Since no doubt wood characteristics are affected by seasonal factors, age, region where they grow the trees, etc, what control do you have over the materials that you source, and how hard is it to make the same blade twice, especially when there may be years in between?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!