OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 10:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
So true! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 11:07 
The Wood Magician

Guys - thanks for the compliments on the blade. I do like how the handle turned out. Certain types of wood are just incredible, and I think amboyna burl is in that category. Amazing stuff.

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 11:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Don't give all the credit to the wood, it's the Wood Magician that turns it into a masterpiece! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 11:24 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

haggisv wrote:
Don't give all the credit to the wood, it's the Wood Magician that turns it into a masterpiece! :up: :up: :up:

I agree ... but a magician still needs to be inspired by his materials.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 00:32 

Ross Leidy wrote:
Guys - thanks for the compliments on the blade. I do like how the handle turned out. Certain types of wood are just incredible, and I think amboyna burl is in that category. Amazing stuff.

no doubt this handle is beautiful but i wonder-how do these kind of beautiful shiny handles function in humid conditions and when held by a sweaty palm? aren't they too slippy?

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 02:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

elganu wrote:
Ross Leidy wrote:

no doubt this handle is beautiful but i wonder-how do these kind of beautiful shiny handles function in humid conditions and when held by a sweaty palm? aren't they too slippy?

I probably own as many Leidy blades as anyone, but the finish on all of the handles provides a sure grip
tOD

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 03:35 

thank you tOD for a fast reply! sorry to bother but do you mean these smooth & shiny handles are not slippery WHILE WET WITH YOUR PALM'S SWEAT?

by the way,i dont' own any blade made by Ross( yet...) so i just wonder about this issue since i live in a very humid part of the world(most of the year) and sweat a lot while playing TT.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

elganu wrote:
thank you tOD for a fast reply! sorry to bother but do you mean these smooth & shiny handles are not slippery WHILE WET WITH YOUR PALM'S SWEAT?

I may not be a prolific perspirer:), but I really have never lost a blade because my hand was so sweaty it litteraly flew away. I have neropothy in my fingers that can cause me to lose touch with the paddle, but any accidents there could not be attributed to a grip/finish that is overly slippery.

I also twiddle a lot, so control and tactile awareness is very important to me.
tOD

I used to build blades and know that some finishes can become too tacky in warm moist hands. Ross has found a very good way to finish the handles.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 08:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Time for a gallery update?
tOD

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 19:08 
Stir Crazy

theOldDuffer wrote:
elganu wrote:

I used to build blades and know that some finishes can become too tacky in warm moist hands. Ross has found a very good way to finish the handles.

I have two blades by Ross, the second of which has a "smooth & shiny" handle:
Attachment:
20111122-DSC_1623.jpg
20111122-DSC_1623.jpg [ 198.39 KiB | Viewed 3654 times ]

The handle has never been slippery, but - as tOD comments - it would become "tacky" when my hands warmed up. Ross was already ahead of this one, and had supplied me with some extra fine sandpaper. A little buffing and now the handle is not slippery, just perfect!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 00:18 
The Wood Magician

I recently completed a blade for gentleman in Singapore who asked if I could post a few photos of his blade. The composition is like the Acoustic, with limba - limba - kiri - limba - limba. For his version of it, Daniel chose white limba for one outer and black limba for the other. Pistol grip is bocote with a purpleheart end cap.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 00:30 
Super User

Ingo Garbe a world famous pipe maker once said: "I don't make pipes, I make pieces of art, which you can use for smoking."

So Ross does not make blades. He makes pieces of art which you can use for playing table tennis.

Last edited by cogito on 20 Aug 2012, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 00:44 
The Wood Magician

cogito wrote:
Ingo Garbe a world famous pipe maker once said: "I don't make pipes, I make pieces of art, which you can use for smoking."

So Ross does not make blades. He make pieces of art which you can use for playing table tennis.

Your quote sent me googling Ingo Garbe - wow, he's created some beautiful pipes! I'm humbled by the comparison.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 09:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Very nice Ross! :clap: :up: :up:

You take such nice pictures too. :up: May I ask what equipment you use, particularly your lighting and background?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 09:19 
The Wood Magician

haggisv wrote:
Very nice Ross! :clap: :up: :up:

You take such nice pictures too. :up: May I ask what equipment you use, particularly your lighting and background?

Hi Alex,
Thanks! Most photos are taken with a Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens. I take the photos in a corner of the shop on a piece of white posterboard and a couple of inexpensive floods. I load the photos into Adobe Lightroom to adjust white balance, crop, and export to jpg. If needed, I'll adjust the exposure and add some fill light, but that's about it. For the lights and background, I probably spent US$25 total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next