OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Review: Xiom Zetro Quad
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 07:23 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
Ok, I’m a two wing looper that is working on being a better flat hitter over the table to finish points. I’m probably a mid 1900’s to low 2000 player who relies on strong serve and serve return to set up points. The ability to spin the ball is far more necessary to me than the actual overall speed of the setup I’m playing. I play a fairly Chinese style of forehand with a punchy backhand on a fairly athletic 6’5” frame.

The Xiom Zetro Quad is a beautifully crafted blade. It’s a very unique construction. Think of a Stradivarius, or TBS in which they changed out the Arylate Carbon with just carbon and shaved about a mm off of the core. After that slap a thin layer of Zylon on it and put another mm of Hinoki on the top. This comes out to a solid 7 mm thick blade. Typically I play a thinner blade, but I had read that this is a pretty snappy flexible blade, and that kept my eye on the blade till I finally broke down and got it.

Serves: This is the one area where I seem to do pretty well with any blade as long as it’s not a ridiculously stiff blade. The Zetro Quad is not ridiculously stiff, so it was really pretty good on the serve side. It’s very controlled. It is easy to apply quite a bit of spin, and surprisingly it’s pretty easy to keep the ball nice and short.

Loops: Doesn’t matter what kind of loop. The brush loop is nice and easy. I actually think the brush loop is more rubber type dependent than it is blade dependent. Loop drives are absolutely great with this blade. They are very crisp and have a lot of bite on them. It doesn’t produce quite as much kick off the table as the Stradivarius, but it isn’t devoid of it like a lot of carbon blades. Since getting the Zetro Quad I have really gotten a better understanding of using the entire table as it pertains to looping. Short angles, heavy driving angles have been very easy and controlled with this blade.

Counters: This is the stroke that I have been pretty poor at most of the time. I took some time playing with a very stiff blade to work on this stroke just go get a good idea of how it could help me in game play. Then switched back to the Stradivarius which was so flexible that this stroke was just very difficult to control. After having gotten the Zetro Quad I have found the best balance of being able to flat drive the ball, and loop all in the same blade. This has been a difficult search, but I’m very satisfied in retrospect. I have no intentions of switching from this blade anytime soon.

Blocks: I haven’t found any blade to be difficult to block with. All of them require a blade angle adjustment. This one really controls the table well. It’s quick and controlled all at the same time. I have made great improvement in blocking since getting this blade in that I use a lot more of the table with blocks too. I don’t think this is a result of blade change as much as the game is slowing down for me mentally and more things naturally occur to me in fast play now. What used to be a concerted effort is now instinctual.

Pushing: Very controlled, soft outer plies really make this a fairly strong point of the blade. I can really play this stroke a bit more aggressively and it seems to reward me for doing so. It allows me to dig in and spin the ball well even on fairly short pushes.

Chops: Can’t do it. Don’t ask.

Summary: This is a great blade that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anyone at any time. It’s on the low side of OFF+ and high side of OFF. I would say it’s slower than Primorac Carbon, and faster than Viscaria or Maze. I like that this blade has thick hinoki outer plies. This makes this blade a great match for Euro, Japanese, and Chinese rubbers. I know it sounds like I’m a homer for this blade. I didn’t really point out what this blade does poorly, which makes me sound not objective. Since I have gotten this blade I’ve improved on basically every stroke, and all strokes have been easier since getting them. If there’s a negative it’s that if you are looking for a legitimate OFF+ blade this probably isn’t it. Like I said it’s on the low side of OFF+.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 08:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review, thanks Skippy!

That's a pretty nice format for a review as well... we must get around to make a proforma to make it easier for people :oops:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 12:10 
Super User

Oh, there's something I neglected to mention. The weight of my Zetro Quads are 91 gm's, so they are not light. The blades are exceptionally balanced. I played the TBS, and the ALC last week just to compare them with my blades. The TBS is very well balanced and similarly weighted to Zetro Quad. The ALC was quite different. It's balance is pretty head heavy and was very difficult for me to play.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 12:16 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
TBS all the way. HEAVY, but balanced. Sounds like you found a winner.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:00 

Blade: Viscaria clone
FH: DMS Spinfire
BH: Victas V>15 Extra
+1 great review.

Yes, this blade is of good quality and speed wise, between OFF to OFF+. I've 2 weighting 86 gram. It is a 9 ply (5W+2Fiber+2SoftCarbon) composite blade and it doesn't feel stiff at all. Its a keeper..

Blades I like: Super ALC clone ...
Rubbers I like:those that are Cheap and good ...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 01:03 

This blade is in my next shopping list. Just wonder which rubber are you using ?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 10:28 
Super User

Signature says what I'm playing with. I will say this. I have yet to find a poor match for it thus far. I have tried, Globe 999t, Globe 999 Natty, T05, Vega Euro, Hexer+, and Hexer Duro. All have played very well, the Duro probably the least well, cause the topsheet is so thick it allows little dwell time, and a tad too hard for a backhand rubber.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 22:03 

That is an awesome review. I spent all night trying to decide which blade I would get to upgrade from my MC1 and finally decided to go with this one, especially for all the detailed explanation on the technology that XIOM provides and a clear sign of excellent craftsmanship.

I bought T05 last week but didn't like it on my JOOLA 9mm MC1 at all. But I have played with T05 before on other blades such as TBS, and this review really helped me out to decide which carbon blade I would pick to macht my T05. I currently play with T25-FX on both sides and I love the kick that it has. But I still feel that sometimes it is too much speed and too many wasted points when balls are going constantly going off the table. Joola X-plode is too hard and when I need to close down the angle to get some good spin, the ball won't get enough grip due its high density, also goes off the table too much. Thats why I bought a thinner blade with some carbon speed that could make my new T05 show the results that it is known for.

I hope to get back to this post next week with a detailed review on my impressions on the XIOM Zetro Quad.

Thanks!

ps. Another thing I would like to comment on is that I have noticed that XIOM has another grade for really offensive blades, OFF++, which I think would be similar to the OFF+ from other companies. So, the Zetro Squad being on OFF+ for XIOM led me to think that it could generally fit into regular OFF classification.

waiting on my Zetro Quad to test T05

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 00:49 

Hi, I am also looking for Zetro Quad + Fastarc G-1 + Hammond Pro B review. Anyone used either of these rubbers with Zetro Quad, please comment.

Setup 3: Blade: DHS Hurricane Long 5 FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo BH: DHS Tin Arc 5 Mid Hard