OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 05:45 

Hi, mates!
I decided to order my first custom blade featuring Parallel Penhold Grip. I have many points to discuss, but first of all - has anybody ordered one? or maybe your friend? or friend of your friend? or maybe you've seen such blade anywhere? any info is appreciated!
I have contacted Victor Popovich (the inventor) via email, but he never answered...
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 07:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've heard of them, but I don't know anyone that's ordered one. I'll be very interested to hear how you like it once you get it.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 22:29 

Ok, while the PPG question still being opened, i want to discuss the wood of the blade. Much inspired by extremely effective and spectacular He Zhi Wen's style, i want to clone his blade to use with SP. I googled thoroughly the composition of his old PF4 032 blade, but found some contradictions in different sources. Doubtless it's a 5-plied blade about 7 mm thick with 3 plies of basswood (0.8-0.9 mm). The two other plies (2.2 mm) are defined diversely as luan (lauan), meranti, mahogany or hongliu eucaliptus.
Here are some photos of old 032 plies:
The point is luan (lauan) is the name for some different trees with very vast characteristic range, so i can hardly choose not only the exact but even the similar wood. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 20:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You might want to start a new topic in this, or many people will not see your question.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 18:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

From the article
Quote:
The only crucial disadvantage of the 1+4 grip is that it is not secure and very unstable.
It is enough to give up the idea entirely. The penholder grip that works is the chinese one (three fingers on the back of the blade, bent; thumb and index finger on the front of the blade, bent, about an inch apart). The PF4-032 was designed for this grip. Modifation of the grip as shown in the article changes the penhold grip into something else entirely, which isn't necessarily bad, but has nothing to do with penhold grip anymore.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 01:44 

Kees wrote:
From the article
Quote:
The only crucial disadvantage of the 1+4 grip is that it is not secure and very unstable.
It is enough to give up the idea entirely. The penholder grip that works is the chinese one (three fingers on the back of the blade, bent; thumb and index finger on the front of the blade, bent, about an inch apart). The PF4-032 was designed for this grip. Modifation of the grip as shown in the article changes the penhold grip into something else entirely, which isn't necessarily bad, but has nothing to do with penhold grip anymore.

Victor has several arguments on his site to what you say, Kees. Firstly by inventing his handle 1+4 is supposed to become secure and stable as 3 of 4 fingers bending around the handle. Though i don't know people to test it yet, excluding Victor. Then if taking it literally ppg comes out to be a penhold grip.
And pf4-032 was designed for shakehand grip as well.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 19:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

kuk wrote:
Hi, mates!
I decided to order my first custom blade featuring Parallel Penhold Grip. I have many points to discuss, but first of all - has anybody ordered one? or maybe your friend? or friend of your friend? or maybe you've seen such blade anywhere? any info is appreciated!
I have contacted Victor Popovich (the inventor) via email, but he never answered...
Thanks in advance!

Did you ever manage to get one of these kuk? I'm curious who actually sells them and how much they cost.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 17:42 

I'm very interested in trying the PG paddle as well. I emailed Victor Popovich about 3 weeks ago, I still have not gotten a response. Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

To great health,

:topspin: T :Chop:
Seattle, WA

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 19:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I contacted him several months ago, since a friend was interested. Eventually I got a response, saying that they do not make the blades so they can't supply them. :(

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 20:03 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

haggisv wrote:
I contacted him several months ago, since a friend was interested. Eventually I got a response, saying that they do not make the blades so they can't supply them. :(

AFAIK, there is no restrictions on using patented methods when making something for yourself for private (non commercial) use. So you could either make it yourself, based on the patent description and your own knowledge and experience in blade construction, or submit this to some other maker who, as a commercial user of the patent, would have patent expenses tied to the making (if at all allowed to make use of the patent).

Haggisv, did you get info about whether any maker has licensed their patent?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 20:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

No, I got a very short reply, basically saying they don't make them. :(

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 10:33 

so close and yet so far...

Here we have something that sounds like it could actually work, except
none of us that want to try it, can even get our hands on one to try :?:

Sounds like, I'll be destroying cheap paddles in the meantime to do some
research and tinkering on my own. Now, where did I put my trusty ole sawzall...

To great health,

:topspin: t :Chop:
Seattle, WA

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 10:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think that there's a fair chance that the design is not actually viable or practical for one reasons or another... if it really was as good as they make it out to be, why would it not catch on?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 13:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
A very interesting post! The paddle and play look very good!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 21:55 

When i was eager to get the PPG blade i found Victor's patent with description of his invention. I mailed this patent along with some fotos to Ross, Peter, Charlie and some other blade makers, but none of them went to the length of making such blade. :((