OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 22:10 
Comeback Chopper

I have written a few previous posts about my Xiom Aigis blade, and have another question. Very briefly, in addition to this blade, I have a Donic Defplay Senso and a Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk blade. I have been puzzled by the speed of the Xiom Aigis, as it is very similar to the Donic Defplay Senso and much slower than the Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk. I have made this comparison with the same rubbers on the blades. Also, the Xiom Aigis is much softer than I had expected (I read reviews stating that it was a hard blade) and it is quite flexible (I can feel strong vibration in my hand). I am quite happy with the Xiom AIgis being slow, soft, and flexible, but I am concerned about its being so different than I had expected. Would anyone happen to know if the most recent version of the Xiom Aigis (I purchased this blade in January 2012) is rather different from previous versions? This blade is now made in China, and I assume that it was previously made in Korea. Could the move to another factory in another country make such a big difference?

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 23:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I can't tell you about this specific blade, but I can tell you that they have always been made in China, even though it's an Korean brand. Most major brands get some of their blades made in China (Yes even half the Butterfly blades are made in China), and many of these blade are quite good, although they're not always quite up the Japanese quality and quality control.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 05:40 
Comeback Chopper

My question about the Xiom Aigis could have been re-written as follows. Would one like to use a blade that seems perfect, even if the blade seems to be very different than advertised?

WIth the Xiom Aigis, I presently have Dr. Neubauer Domination 1.5mm on the forehand and TIbhar Grass Defense OX on the backhand. This is the same combination of rubbers as is used by Paul Pinkewich, the legendary Australian defender. (My game is very similar to that of Paul Pinkewich.) The control is fantastic, as the racket seems just as an extension of my hand. It is easy to chop back fast loops, slow spinny loops, and place the ball wherever I want. As the blade is soft and flexible, I can even manipulate the spin to some extent with the OX rubber. However, with the difference between how the blade feels and how it is advertised being so great, I can't help but be concerned whether something is wrong.

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 08:37 
Super User

new generation Aigis handles are more cylindiric, before faces of the handle was flatter. New Aigis blade handle is more like Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk straight handle and old handle was more like Butterfly Defense Alphas' handle.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 15:10 
Super User

deva sarjan wrote:
...before faces of the handle was flatter. ...

Hmm, I got my Aigis right now and find the handle quite flat. I cannot imagine a thinner handle.

PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 03:09 
Comeback Chopper

Thanks so much for the replies.

I did find descriptions of the Xiom Aigis blade by using Google translation and reading the reviews. Most descriptions were very close to mine, which gives me the impression that my very nice Xiom Aigis blade is very much like that of others. Perhaps the inconsistency between my description of the blade and that provided by Xiom is my fault.

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 00:43 
Super User

birding&table.tennis wrote:
Also, the Xiom Aigis is much softer than I had expected (I read reviews stating that it was a hard blade) and it is quite flexible (I can feel strong vibration in my hand).

This is congruent with my impressions.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 19:14 

Change was made in 2010. Old one says something like classic defense on face. The new one is marketed as ALL+, which is also printed on blade, and "Novus" wood.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 01:31 

I have the same question after 10 years. I got in possesion Xiom Aigis Blade, one with the blue handle.

When I checked the same blade on tt11, they have the blade with the same name and it looks like it has the same composition but with the different handle color (or also the handle shape?).

Is this the same blade with just recoloured handle. Or handle/blade composition changed?

Thanks.

Attachments:
IMG_20210305_165355.jpg
IMG_20210305_165355.jpg [ 1016.71 KiB | Viewed 1314 times ]
novus_copy3.png
novus_copy3.png [ 1005.89 KiB | Viewed 1314 times ]