OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Blade Comparison
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 11:18 

Blade: Garaydia T5000
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Hello, I am new to OOAK Forums.

Before I begin the discussion, I would like to mention that I played for 3 years, consecutively, 4 days a week. Ever since I relocated, I have not practiced, and it has been about 3 years; however, I am returning to the game, and realizing that my view on the game has changed, in addition to improvement on my strokes. My first custom setup was a Mazunov with Yasaka Mark V on both sides, and then Tenergy 05 on both sides. It was an amateur mistake, as the rubbers transformed the setup in to a dumbbell. The stupid mistakes do not end here, unfortunately. I changed my blade to a Garaydia T5000 with Tenergy 05 on both sides, without prior practice with the blade ( I did not have access to any of the blades I wanted). I am still playing with the Garaydia T5000 setup, and must say on one hand I do enjoy the light weight, hinoki top layer feel, blocking (excellent), and most importantly the loops. However, on the other hand, the blade is too fast, provides no dwell time, no control, and minimal feeling, which limits your game significantly. I am searching for a blade which has much more feel, but does not prevent me from blocking (very important for me), lightweight, less speed but not slow (OFF preferably), and most importantly significant control. Unfortunately, I have a lot of blades in mind, but ironically have no access to either one except a Timo Boll Spirit (tried it once, and it was excellent). I would appreciate it if you could compare the blades, and give me your advice on the blades I have listed below. I want to buy one of them and never change my setup again. I will be using Tenergy 05 on both sides.

BUTERFLY: Timo Boll Spirit, Timo Boll ALC, Maze Performance, Petr Korbel, Primorac (not carbon).

STIGA: Clipper Classic Wood.

NITTAKU: Acoustic, Violin, Ludeack

DONIC: Waldner Ultra Senso Carbon

DHS: Hurricane King III

YASAKA: Ma Lin Extra Offensive

As you can see, the selection is wide, but relatively similar.

Thank you Everybody.

Last edited by Zima on 26 Nov 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Blade Comparison
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 11:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're asking a lot of questions in one post...anyone would would have to put an hour of their time aside to answer this, and it would be rare for anyone having tried most of those blades, which is probably why you haven't received responses... My advice, ask simple questions and you'll get quick answers. ;)

Here is my 2c worth: Control and feel are very subjective, and what one person likes, another will dislike. So I recommend you ask some of the players at your club if you can have a hit with their bat... you might just find exactly what you're looking for.

Without going into too much details, from you blades you've listed, if you want feel and control, the violin and acoustic are well known for this. Perhaps also consider changing to Tenergy 05 FX, which will give you more control and feel.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 15:43 
Super User

Short answer is get a Timo Boll Spirit/Viscaria/Boll ALC and stick with it. Its a popular combination that works even for world class players. I think with your experience, it shouldn't be uncontrollable, especially coming from a T5000.

For a quick overview of comparisons, I think Haggis is right, I've owned 32 blades and even that is not enough to compare every one of them. For the ones I have (tried):

Viscaria: Pretty much the same as TBS and Timo Boll ALC, pick the handle shape you like best and they should be 95% similar in performance.

Primorac: Much softer, more flexible, I would say Off- at best. Great transparent feel, but might be too much of a speed downgrade for you.

Stiga Clipper Classic: Barely passes Off- range, thinner than the Clipper CR (Off to OFF+) which itself is slower than the Viscaria and (should be) much slower than the Garaydia. If you are interested in the type at a slightly faster range, try the Clipper CR. Same composition as the Classic but thicker, stiffer, faster. I Like the CR a lot, good balance of speed and adequate feel. Great for blocking, solid smashes, but usually over 90g, so not exactly light weight. Also, the feel is completely different from composites, so not everyone will like it.

Ludeack: Similar to the Clippers, I would say the middle ground between Clipper Classic and CR.

Ma Lin Extra Offensive: Bouncy/slightly flexible blade. Similar speed if not a little bit faster than the Primorac. Unique "matchboxy" feel. Slower than the Clippers.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 15:52 
Super User

I almost forgot. The Andro Timber OFF/S is also a good alternative to the Clipper CR. Mine is exactly 7mm thick (above average) and only 83g. 2 Layers of varnish and it is pretty much the same as the CR. Hollow handle though, so be aware of that if you mind that sort of thing.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 16:06 

Blade: Garaydia T5000
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Thank you Haggisv, and Lasta for your responses.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 16:37 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
The Peter Korbel is like the slightly faster brother of the Primorac. Excellent blade and amazingly cheap (for being a Butterfly blade). Massively popular among elite cadets as well as sub-elite players here in Sweden. Got enough speed for anyone that doesn't aspire to make the WR100.