OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 05:43 
Super User

Please try the links above; not all waves necessarily ripple the blade. The vibration patterns mentioned previously are continuous modes and relatively slow compared to the ball dwell. The initial "sound" type wave is the one that's in the right timeframe (not the one you hear as the material vibrates the air, but the one that travels through inside), and those tend to be compressive in relatively rigid solids as mentioned. Compressive means "tight & loose" like your head during a throbbing headache, not "up and down".

This is the stuff from basic STEM physics but I might hit up the relevant specific texts on it later to see what's up. I believe Rayleigh-Love theory & its extensions.

Zhaoyang wrote:
. I showed that it is not necessary that the whole blade bend, just a small region under the ball.

If the energy is limited to such a small region it would damage the wood. When you nick your nail into the wood (and it doesn't take much), that's what happens when it's not spread across a wide region, like the whole blade at the speed of sound through wood which is very fast. The wide region mean more moving mass.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 06:57 
Super User

agenthex wrote:
Please try the links above
Yes, it's very interesting.

Zhaoyang wrote:
I showed that it is not necessary that the whole blade bend, just a small region under the ball.

agenthex wrote:
If the energy is limited to such a small region it would damage the wood. When you nick your nail into the wood...
So the size of the region must be somewhere between the whole blade and the edge of a fingernail. This is good progress.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 07:01 
Super User

Zhaoyang wrote:
So the size of the region must be somewhere between the whole blade and the edge of a fingernail. This is good progress.

The size of the region is the whole blade at the speed of sound (ie molecular coupling) through a solid. This doesn't really move the blade up and down anyway.

Consider the difference with pressing into a rubber. Notice it bounces right back and thus effects are easily localized. Wood as a rigid solid doesn't work like that.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 07:56 
Super User

agenthex wrote:
Wood as a rigid solid doesn't work like that.

It isn't rigid. That's what "flexible" means.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 08:15 
Super User

It's a matter of degree. The flexing of the blade neck (if you death-grip on the handle) is maybe a couple mm for the slowest commercially available blades. The blade transverse vibrations are much smaller than this and impossible to see. The way compressional waves work has even lessor order of magnitude effect on the surface.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 08:58 
Super User

"Eliminate the impossible..."
It was argued that one mechanism was impossible. So we identified a mechanism that is possible. We know that it need operate over only one small region under the ball, and that this region is smaller than the entire blade but larger than the edge of a fingernail.
It's good progress.

"The blade transverse vibrations are much smaller than this"
I'm only talking about the initial disturbance (under the ball strike), not the vibrations which result.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 09:58 
Super User

The initial waves are compressional, ie waves of high and low pressure inside the blade. I'm not sure what's hard to grasp about this.

> We know that it need operate over only one small region under the ball

It doesn't. The longitudinal waves travel through the entire blade. They travel at ~3km/s, or about ~0.02ms across the whole blade.

> It was argued that one mechanism was impossible. So we identified a mechanism that is possible.

Just because one mechanism for ghosts is impossible doesn't mean any other for some other kind of ghost is necessarily plausible.

Last edited by agenthex on 14 Oct 2014, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:01 
Super User

If it's still your position that under a ping-pong* relevant hard ball strike the wood of, say, a VKM does not "give" under the ball, not even .1mm, then that could be tested.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:10 
Super User

Feel free to try. It's going to be exceedingly difficult without serious equipment or very clever technique given the impact video above is already at the limits of what's commercially viable, and what you're trying to measure is order(s) of magnitude smaller and faster.

To be honest I'm not sure what's being demonstrated. That slower blades are slower? We already know that...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:14 
Super User

Is it your position that e.g. a VKM will not "give", not even .1mm?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:27 
Super User

Probably not in <<1ms, especially not with 4mm coupled rubber dampening on top.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:30 
Super User

Ok, that's clear, thanks.
So, a test is necessary.
That's all I have for now.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 12:00 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
TLDR entrenched positions over whether a blade (define blade) flexes (define flex to your own satisfaction) under ping pong conditions (define ping pong conditions, you get the idea) remain entrenched. However some agreement on there being faster and slower blades.

In other news, Christian theologians still debating how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 15:38 
Super User

I think there'll always be those who contend with the science, and those who believe any contention to imply controversy.

TT blades don't seem to be terrible complicated overall outside of the basic speed metric. IMO there's a habit in equipment or any other sort of reviews to make the reviewer appear more sophisticated by introducing plausible distinctions, so those who don't adopt the language of ambiguous nuances be dismissed as unrefined. Wine reviews come to mind with the ambiance of vintage and terroir when supposed connesiours are easily fooled by switched bottles or even dyed white wine.

The lesson from this thread should at least be caveat emptor when it comes to fantastical properties of TT blades.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 18:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Zhaoyang wrote:
To iskandar taib:
Blades don't have mass. I should start a thread with that title. Later, I could explain that when I said "mass" I meant something else. What would you think of that?

Zhaoyang wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
I would say it's silly, because it's easily disproven.

You missed the point. Doesn't matter.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Well, my answer to that (when you say you meant "something else" when you said "mass") would be that, to anyone with a high school level science education, "mass" has a very specific meaning that goes back to Sir Isaac Newton. In other words, pretty much everyone means a specific thing when they talk about the "mass" of a table tennis racket. If you want to use the term "mass" in a different and novel way, then you add an element of confusion to the conversation.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next