OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 10:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 22:05 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Are really cheap blades a waste of money. I mean, I have several really cheap blades lying around, Chinese stuff, hobby blades that were used by beginners and kids to get started. They are the kind of blades that basically cost about 10 dollars pre-made to start with, all wood, 5-ply from the look of it. I basically used them as practice for getting my skills in order. Some of them are very light, a couple fair to middling.

What skills you might be wondering. Bat making skills. I used them to pracice removing a rubber and sponge, sanding and preparing the blade. Then I used them as practice on how to seal a blade. I was a bit nervous about my serious equipment so I went this route.

Now I have five or six blades, nicely sanded, and all ready to be rubberized, if there is such a word. A lot of elbow grease went into them.

Bu the question is, would they be of any use to anyone? As I said before in one of my posts, I can get Stag rubbers fairly cheap over here, about 12 dollars a brand new rubber with 2mm sponge. These are allround rubbers with a fair bit of spin and speed, kind of like Butterfly Flextra.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 22:42 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Ranger-man wrote:
Are really cheap blades a waste of money.

It's all relative. What game style do you play? If you are still working this out, and sometimes even after you have, cheap blades can be valuable.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 23:02 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I play a mixed game, usually about 6-7 feet from the table is the max I will go when I am attacking, but if I have to, I can and have smashed from farther away from the table as well. I am a penholder and I loop quite well from my backhand, and on the forehand I loop but I smash more often when I get the chance.

I love to chop as well, and can be a good blocker if I feel my opponent is trying to slow the game down. Then I block with him and look for an opening to smash the ball.

I would not call myself a defensive player at all, my game plan is rarely based on waiting for errors, I go for points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 00:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
RM, I'd say that if the blades have been sanded and sealed well, it is likely you have improved the quality of them. If I were you I would "rubberise" one as you put it, and try it out. See how it plays. If its complete rubbish, don't worry about the rest. If its decent, then try getting some even better rubbers perhaps and see how another one plays. All depends on whether you are intending to do them up for re-sale, for your own use, or as a collection I suppose. Usually I have found the wood used in a lot of pre-mades, even the supposed "quality" ones is no-where near as good as any bare blade you would buy. So I would progress with caution one step at a time.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 07:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ranger-man wrote:
Are really cheap blades a waste of money. I mean, I have several really cheap blades lying around, Chinese stuff, hobby blades that were used by beginners and kids to get started. They are the kind of blades that basically cost about 10 dollars pre-made to start with, all wood, 5-ply from the look of it. I basically used them as practice for getting my skills in order. Some of them are very light, a couple fair to middling.

What skills you might be wondering. Bat making skills. I used them to pracice removing a rubber and sponge, sanding and preparing the blade. Then I used them as practice on how to seal a blade. I was a bit nervous about my serious equipment so I went this route.

Now I have five or six blades, nicely sanded, and all ready to be rubberized, if there is such a word. A lot of elbow grease went into them.

Bu the question is, would they be of any use to anyone? As I said before in one of my posts, I can get Stag rubbers fairly cheap over here, about 12 dollars a brand new rubber with 2mm sponge. These are allround rubbers with a fair bit of spin and speed, kind of like Butterfly Flextra.

I think they are OK to much around with, but they rarely have the same control and feel of better blade. For serving and slow parts of the game, it won't make a big difference, as this is more determined by the rubbers, but when you start hitting harder, the blade comes more into it, and you'll strart to feel the difference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 08:29 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Ranger-man wrote:
I play a mixed game, usually about 6-7 feet from the table is the max I will go when I am attacking, but if I have to, I can and have smashed from farther away from the table as well.

Attacking 6 feet from the table, your blade makes all the difference in the world. That's a worst case senario for a cheap peice of ply wood.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 10:15 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Shoebox9 wrote:
That's a worst case scenario for a cheap piece of ply wood.

Ditto. Methinks even if the rubbers are fast...premade blades are really, really slow. Might be excellent for a defensive game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 23:49 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Sound advice guys. I agree with the fact that premade blades are usually very slow, especially the hobby bats. And thats what these are. I also agree that they would be defensive setups at best and thats not really what I want. I was not even thinking resale, was actually thinking if they would be worth something to youngsters who are just starting out.

I guess I will just give them away as they are to beginners here who might be able to find some use for them, and then pass them on once they develop their game further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 00:27 
Super User

I also find them heavy for what they are. Much better with an Instinct LKT 5ply or some such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 02:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ranger-man wrote:
Sound advice guys. I agree with the fact that premade blades are usually very slow, especially the hobby bats. And thats what these are. I also agree that they would be defensive setups at best and thats not really what I want. I was not even thinking resale, was actually thinking if they would be worth something to youngsters who are just starting out.

I guess I will just give them away as they are to beginners here who might be able to find some use for them, and then pass them on once they develop their game further.

Yes! For beginner they are usually perfect. This is the best idea for them.
I'm sure there are lots of youngsters out there who would idolise just having their own bat, so you create great value in a childs mind, where there was little value in your own. I think we forget sometimes that many kids who like TT are grateful just to have a bat to play with. I've seen kids who have treated a $5 Kmart bat as if it was a pro bat.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 03:48 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I couldn't agree more RB, thats why one bat goues out tomorrow, have rubbers to go with it, 1.5mm champion rubbers, very basic, already have a newbie who says he will take it, so its his. Will pass the word around that I have blades anyone wants, will think of this as my little bit to promote the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 09:55 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I agree with the promotion bit -- feels great when you actually own a bat.

Defensive setups, I think, are fast for beginners, so it's just right speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 19:26 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I gave a Romanian LT (the No 3) an ALL+ Sportcraft I had sanded all the sticky glue and sanded the anatomic to a Flared. He hits 300 percent better! Now his rubbers I gave him were my prized BTY Takifire SP Soft (20 months of service) and Venus, so that has something to do with it as well.

I say go ahead, it is a starting point and most TT players become EJs, so the TT suppliers will get theirs eventually. (Not to imply they are vultures, just illustrating that they will transact more business either way)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 23:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thats right Der. Its a bit like the car market. If fleets didn't know there was a reasonable resale value on their cars in the used car market, they wouldn't turn their cars over so fast (like every 2 years). So the new market would be slower. No point in letting good equipment go to waste just because it doesn't suit you. Sell it, give it away, whatever way, you'll be potentially helping someone else get into the game some more.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!