OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 13:25 
Super User

I am looking to get back into sponge table tennis. My play style would be a modern defender with one side thin inverted and the other some kind of long pips. I used to use the Nittaku Vioncello, and I liked the great ball feel, hard top plies, and medium speed of that blade (just like the Violin).

I don't like soft or flexy blades, but I am wondering if there is something out there that is firm with good feel, but a lower speed (and lower $$$) than the Vioncello. I have NO blades other than my hardbat, so I need to get something quick.

Also, for my inverted side I want something about 1.7mm sponge that is decently tacky for a controlled looping/fishing game. I like to jerk upward on my loop (I can loop decently with 804 anti), so are there any thin inverteds that have a really low throw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 14:35 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

the joo se hyuk is a stiffish blade, or even the de-1 is another good one.

Suplaza, i think is trying to get rid of his joo? Still in pretty good nik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 16:23 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Have you given up on your hardbat now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 16:23 
Super User

ooh, i didnt know about de-1. i like thin blades, too, so this one looks very nice. however, I need a straight handle, and I cant find anyone with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 16:26 
Super User

Silver wrote:
Have you given up on your hardbat now?

nah, actually I was playing better than ever with the hardbat and getting better very fast. however, I took a break from tt for a few months to concentrate on my studies, and I am now very rusty. I did kind of miss running around looping/lobbing/chopping, and with all the rust on my hardbat game at the moment, now is a good time to dabble with sponge. at least things wont feel so foreign right now, because when I am in my hardbat groove, sponge is impossible for me to use :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 16:56 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

mdjenders wrote:
I need a straight handle

Ditto, and do you have spare time? You could sand some big handles to your liking, given some spare time...that is, if you're in a hurry to get a blade.

Korbel not your liking? It's not as flexy like...Extra 3D, they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 17:22 
Super User

I not only need a st handle, I need a big fat one! the st handle on the korbel was really narrow and hurt my hand, and sanding down a flared usually results in a thinner st. as thin/lame as the flared vioncello/violin handle is, the st one was pretty girthy and nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 21:02 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

3D and the BTY blade I suspect will perform poorly with pips. 3D is way too flexible.

I'd recommend a thin balsa blade like the Neubauer range - I forget the exact blade - its not Firewall+. One of the guys here will know it. Don't buy the Special - too expensive.

Pip blades are complex and its not worth going into all the detail.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 23:05 

I think you like straight handle of Nittaku Shake defence, very comfortable but the blade is not stiff unfortunately. I reduced one in dimensions and play with it OFF, with Solcion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 00:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Mdjenders,

You might like the Galaxy K-3 which is not too fast, but probably not as slow as DE-1. Its a kevlar blade, so it might not be as stiff as you want, but its not terribly flexi. Its a good price and a good feel blade. The other one to look at is the T-2. Its stiffer, and some are pretty fast. I have one though that is rated Medium and is about 70gram. So they are possible to get in slower/lighter version. Not sure about ST handles on them.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 02:00 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Oh yeah, Mazunov does have that fat ST handle, but probably isn't in your desired speed range, if I get it correctly? Durn, and it has that firm feeling I like too...

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 00:33 
Super User

I don't like soft or flexy blades, but I am wondering if there is something out there that is firm with good feel, but a lower speed (and lower $$$) than the Vioncello. I have NO blades other than my hardbat, so I need to get something quick.

Also, for my inverted side I want something about 1.7mm sponge that is decently tacky for a controlled looping/fishing game. I like to jerk upward on my loop (I can loop decently with 804 anti), so are there any thin inverteds that have a really low throw?[/quote]

joo se hyuk blade,straight handle
1.7 tackifire drive :thumright:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 05:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

deva sarjan wrote:

Also, for my inverted side I want something about 1.7mm sponge that is decently tacky for a controlled looping/fishing game. I like to jerk upward on my loop (I can loop decently with 804 anti), so are there any thin inverteds that have a really low throw?

joo se hyuk blade,straight handle
1.7 tackifire drive :thumright:[/quote]

What about the Donic Cayman? Thick and stiff, but not as fast as many balsa core blades, fat handle. Blasa core blades also tend to have a low throw. The Cayman is also supposed to be good with pips and is cheap.

Might be lighter than you want with pips on one side and thin inverted on the other. it's advertised as fairly hard.

Another option is the Joola Defence blade, which is thinner (but still balsa core) and has a bigger head so would be slower and a little bit heavier.

The De-1 is a nice stiff blade, but is quite soft. Good control with thin or thick inverted though, whether looping or chopping.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 07:16 
Super User

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really want to try the de-1 (and maybe some other galaxy ones), but I HATE the flared handle on that brand. A friend of mine got the W1, and the handle dug up my palm terribly. If I can find a st handle de-1, I will purchase it.

As for the Joo, I tried it for a while and didnt care for the smallish handle or the vibrations that came from the head. That one vibrates a lot and felt flimsy to me. The rubber I used on the Vioncello FH was the Tackifire D 1.7, and I thought the throw was a little high.

Anyone have experience with the 729 FX Super Soft 1.5 or 729-C 1.8? Most 729 I have tried are high throw, but I am curious about these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 08:01 
Super User

although, I did play hardbat today at the club, and pretty much got my feel back in an hour or so. once the reflex stab block winners and lunging long range chops start going for me, I know I am good to go.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!