OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 18:26 

Blade: Primirac
FH: G-1
BH: Rakza 7
Hi there,
Is there a difference in blade shape based on the handle type?

If you check here https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=LONG5, it looks like the shape is very different - it is much wider in the bottom for ST handle type blade.
The same is for H301 blade. Is my observation correct? Is it the same for other vendors, like Stiga or BTY?

Attachments:
1112.jpg
1112.jpg [ 97.84 KiB | Viewed 1665 times ]
1111.jpg
1111.jpg [ 83.58 KiB | Viewed 1665 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2019, 19:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To be honest... it looks exactly the same to me. :lol: If there's ANY difference it's miniscule at best.

Shouldn't be too difficult to prove/disprove.. just print and cut out the blade shapes.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 13:37 

iskandar taib wrote:
To be honest... it looks exactly the same to me.

If you look on the top picture (ST) - the top of the blade is much narrower than the bottom of the blade (it's like an egg shape).
The bottom racket (FL) looks like perfect oval.

ST version of Long5/301 looks like Tibhar Stratus Power Wood with wide cheeks while FL version has perfect symmerical shape.

I'm wondering if both blades would play the same and what is the reason for this difference.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 14:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think they're supposed to be the same. The handle piece for the ST handle might be a little wider, which makes the blade shape look different.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 15:49 
Super User

Angle and magnification don't look the same. Also, straight handles are usually a little wider which gives the illusion of a smaller head. There could also be batch variations.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 17:43 

lasta wrote:
Angle and magnification don't look the same. Also, straight handles are usually a little wider which gives the illusion of a smaller head. There could also be batch variations.

Is it only me who can see it?
Also, how can it be a batch variation if the CNC machines are programmed the same way? you can have batch variation in wood quality or weight or hardness, but not the shape difference.
It has to do something with the weight balance or bounce frequency or something.

Attachments:
1113.jpg
1113.jpg [ 104.21 KiB | Viewed 1562 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 08:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lerdan wrote:
Is it only me who can see it?
Also, how can it be a batch variation if the CNC machines are programmed the same way? you can have batch variation in wood quality or weight or hardness, but not the shape difference.
It has to do something with the weight balance or bounce frequency or something.

I suppose there's tool wear, but it shouldn't make much difference. Besides, they gang a bunch of cutters together and cut 20 or so blades simultaneously.

Incidentally, has anyone (mainly Chinese) copied the "Waldner shape" yet?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 12:31 

iskandar taib wrote:
I suppose there's tool wear, but it shouldn't make much difference. Besides, they gang a bunch of cutters together and cut 20 or so blades simultaneously.
Iskandar

This is not how CNC machines work - all copies are identical even if they make 100 at a time. There is no tool wear there.
The biggest issue with different shape - if i want to reglue the rubber it will not fit from one to another.

It looks like ST blades have JO shapes similar to https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng ... n-jo-shape

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 14:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The ganged tools and tool (bit) wear are both issues with CNC routers. They gang the tools together to save time - you run the program once and get many copies of the same object. If some of the tools are worn some of the shapes comes out larger. Even if you make the shapes one at a time using one tool, that tool can wear, so the first part you make (assuming a router bit) will be a little smaller than the 200th one, since the bit's become a tiny bit smaller due to wear. The CNC machinery moves stepper motors, the stepper motors just move to predetermined positions, unless you write something into the program to compensate for tool wear, the parts will change as the tool wears.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 15:28 

iskandar taib wrote:
The ganged tools and tool (bit) wear are both issues with CNC routers. They gang the tools together to save time - you run the program once and get many copies of the same object. If some of the tools are worn some of the shapes comes out larger. Even if you make the shapes one at a time using one tool, that tool can wear, so the first part you make (assuming a router bit) will be a little smaller than the 200th one, since the bit's become a tiny bit smaller due to wear. The CNC machinery moves stepper motors, the stepper motors just move to predetermined positions, unless you write something into the program to compensate for tool wear, the parts will change as the tool wears.

Iskandar

you are wrong, the bits don't change in shape. even if you they did, the whole blade shape would be larger, but not half of it.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 09:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Whoever said half the blade would be larger? :lol:

Ganged CNC routers (From the Sanwei catalog):

Attachment:
SanWeiCatalogRouter.jpg
SanWeiCatalogRouter.jpg [ 139.43 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 26 Nov 2019, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 10:20 
Super User

Are trying to prove a point? Ie is the shape difference intentional because different handles should be mixed with a different "optimized" shape?

If not, just get some 80 grit sandpaper and make them both the same :rofl:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 18:13 

iskandar taib wrote:
Whoever said half the blade would be larger? :lol:
Ganged CNC routers (From the Sanwei catalog):
Iskandar

You have not even the slightest idea what you are talking about have you? All of those routers will produce 100% identical blades.

What i am talking about is that the shapes of ALL 301 blades with ST handle are different to shapes of ALL 301 blades with FL handle. The same is for Long 5 blades. ST blades have JO shape when FL are oval. Please read about several time until you understand what i'm trying to say.
This is done on purpose, not because of how equipment works.

Maybe the shapes are different due to the weight balance or something, i don't know, that is why i'm asking here.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You may well be right about the different shapes (I'm not arguing with you as this is actually an interesting topic), but if this is based purely on the picture, I'm not convinced that they're different, because the pictures are taking at different angles, which can skew how it looks.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 01:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I know exactly what you're trying to say. I answered it in my first post. Please read again what I am trying to say. :lol: (Hint: It's got nothing to do with what you are trying to say.) Are you a CNC router operator? I don't think you are. How exact is exact? Variation cause by tool wear IS an issue but only if you're concerned with hundredths or thousandths of an inch and are making precision components. Blades don't qualify.

Iskandar