OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 16:14 
Super User

Hi,

So, due to the WuFlu (a.k.a COVID-19 .. that's right, you heard WuFlu from me, first) situation, things on the work-front are a tad slow, so I find myself with some time, on-hand... So, to beat the boredom, I'm thinking of developing a comprehensive database/repository of blades, with search & filter options... Yes.. yes... one might say it's been done to death, however, most of the existing ones I've come across, seem to be, either (or all) , with an outdated look & feel, lacking in functionality, incomplete/incorrect, and not mobile device friendly ..

I'm thinking of developing something that's a combination of the following projects ...

http://ttbdb.stervinou.net

https://yattdb.pabuisson.com

https://stumpof.blogspot.com/p/stumps-b ... ition.html

I am, ofcourse, open to suggestions, on what features most of you'll would like to see, and how to go about developing this project ...

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 16:23 
Super User

The sources are pretty good. You might also want to add the blade frequency chart to the mix.

Not everyone cares, but I find it to be one of (if not only) truly objective blade measurements available.

Blade and handle dimensions are useful too.

Cheers,

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 17:01 
Super User

lasta wrote:
The sources are pretty good. You might also want to add the blade frequency chart to the mix.

Not everyone cares, but I find it to be one of (if not only) truly objective blade measurements available.

Cheers,

Yes, adding the blade frequency did occur to me too ... However, I'm not sure, of the availability of the frequency information of all blades... I want to avoid having a blank space in the column, for lack of info..

Also, how accurate are the frequency measurements, done by third-party/individual testers ... ?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 17:06 
Super User

lasta wrote:
The sources are pretty good. Cheers,

Well, the reference sites/projects/apps, I've provided, are just for concept, functionality etc, and not just for the information, per se...

For example - The info on *Stervinou*, is incorrect, for some blades... The Sanwei M8, blade, for instance, is stated as having a 5 layers of Walnut; which, I think, is incorrect.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 18:02 
Super User

ootbs wrote:
lasta wrote:

Cheers,

Yes, adding the blade frequency did occur to me too ... However, I'm not sure, of the availability of the frequency information of all blades... I want to avoid having a blank space in the column, for lack of info..

Also, how accurate are the frequency measurements, done by third-party/individual testers ... ?

Having some information is better than having none...As for reliability, can't avoid outliers, but if you have 5-6 submissions for the same blade, then a pattern becomes obvious.

You might also want to include cross-sectional photos from the Chinese website: http://www.guoqiuhui.net/

I find it helps a lot with understanding blade compositions and coming to the conclusions that there is a lot of homogeneity across brands. Don't worry, you don't need to know Chinese to stumble around.

Spend enough time there and you can get pretty accurate with identifying wood used for each layer.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 19:21 
Super User

lasta wrote:
ootbs wrote:
lasta wrote:

Cheers,

Having some information is better than having none...As for reliability, can't avoid outliers, but if you have 5-6 submissions for the same blade, then a pattern becomes obvious.

You might also want to include cross-sectional photos from the Chinese website: http://www.guoqiuhui.net/

I find it helps a lot with understanding blade compositions and coming to the conclusions that there is a lot of homogeneity across brands. Don't worry, you don't need to know Chinese to stumble around.

Spend enough time there and you can get pretty accurate with identifying wood used for each layer.

Thanks for the reference website ... I think between, between Stervinou and Stumpof, the aspect of blade composition would pretty much well-covered.. I'm mulling-over the idea of having images, although, Collating images, of various blades, from various resources, would be time-consuming ..

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:04 
Super User

What are you trying to achieve? Amalgamating secondary sources like Stervinou and Tenis-de-table or standardizing primary information like Guoqiuhui? No database is perfect, and if you want to improve on something, then be prepared to put in a LOT of effort.

If you want to be truly objective, then do clamped bounce measurements of popular blades like JRSDallas did over at MyTT. That would be the only way to offer "unflavored" data for other people to base decisions on. I'm nowhere near an expert, but a large set of graphical representations of difference deformations can be useful for those who did some reading...

BTW, blade composition is not just about listing the plies, relative thickness between surface, intermediate, and core makes a difference in feel as well.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:24 
Super User

BTW, I didn't mean to sound rude. People can become really set in their ways when they get old haha. Any compilation with a structured approach is a worthwhile effort. Look forward to your results!

Another one for the wish list:
-An expansion of TTGearLab's Ec/Ep measurements. I think even they have some brand bias and outliers, but still is one of the best standardized comparisons I've seen on the internet.

I know this is probably impossible and against the interests of blade manufacturers...But I hope that one year, enough understanding and demand for objective data will force all manufacturers to release standardized measurements data like MTF graphs for camera lenses.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 22:46 
Super User

lasta wrote:
What are you trying to achieve? Amalgamating secondary sources like Stervinou and Tenis-de-table or standardizing primary information like Guoqiuhui? No database is perfect, and if you want to improve on something, then be prepared to put in a LOT of effort.

If you want to be truly objective, then do clamped bounce measurements of popular blades like JRSDallas did over at MyTT. That would be the only way to offer "unflavored" data for other people to base decisions on. I'm nowhere near an expert, but a large set of graphical representations of difference deformations can be useful for those who did some reading...

BTW, blade composition is not just about listing the plies, relative thickness between surface, intermediate, and core makes a difference in feel as well.

oh sorry, I thought, I was being pretty clear, when I said that I'd like to improve upon the aforementioned sources, by developing one that includes the combined parameters of said sources, which a more up-to-date look & functionality .... Plus, I don't have the resources, know-how, or even an inclination towards testing various blades.. I want to put-up information I can work with, and have access to ..

I like the functionality and purpose of the Stervinou site... I just want to

• Give it a more modern, yet user-friendly look
  • Make it mobile friendly (This would the primary intent)
  • Add more parameters such as the ones on YATTDB & Stumpof
  • Display more accurate information

Apart from the above, I am indeed open to suggestions, that I could include.. .If the suggestion are about adding information, I don't mind, providing that info is already generated, published, and easily accessible .. However, I don't think I'm up for *generating* additional information...

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 15:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
While I think the project would be really useful for the TT community, one thing to consider is that the people that created the websites you mentioned, may object to you using their data. Or are you planning to start from scratch?

I'm not a great believer in the blade frequency information. Although it's an objective way of measuring data, I'm not convinced the data can be used to find something meaningful to the player...there are just too many descrepancies that don't agree with real experiences.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 03:17 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
While I think the project would be really useful for the TT community, one thing to consider is that the people that created the websites you mentioned, may object to you using their data. Or are you planning to start from scratch?

Yes... I've been giving that a thought .. I'm even thinking of contacting the developers of the websites, to ask them if they'd be willing to share the data... I will, ofcourse, given them give them a credit-mention for it, on my site.... This would certainly help in getting the project online, a lot sooner... I'm also willing to start from scratch.. But, if I do so, I'd probably refer to those website, to get the info .... I not sure, if that'd be fair .. I don't want to just leech info from someone else's website ...

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020, 17:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

ootbs wrote:
Hi,

So, due to the WuFlu (a.k.a COVID-19 .. that's right, you heard WuFlu from me, first) situation, things on the work-front are a tad slow, so I find myself with some time, on-hand...

Better than "Kung Flu" I suppose.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020, 18:19 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
ootbs wrote:
Hi,

So, due to the WuFlu (a.k.a COVID-19 .. that's right, you heard WuFlu from me, first) situation, things on the work-front are a tad slow, so I find myself with some time, on-hand...

Better than "Kung Flu" I suppose.. :lol:

Iskandar

bah ... I coined WuFlu way before some Chump...... :lol: , started calling it Kung Flu ...