OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Q's: JUIC Air TEXA
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 18:40 

Has anyone tried this?
How does it compare to the other "fat bats"?
ie: MC1, Kool!, Firewall

Stiga Carbo 7.7 - Blue H3 2.2mm - TG2 2mm

Galaxy T1 - 999T 2.3mm - Dr. N Domination

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 13:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sorry I have not tried it, nor have I tried any of the others to compare!

I'll try and get some feedback from some of the people that bought one...

Post subject: Juic Air Texa
PostPosted: 07 May 2007, 15:19 

I am one of those people who have brought one and can comment on the Juic Air Texa. I like thick balsa blades and have been on a costly crusade to find the ideal blade (a soft feel with high speed, good control, and long dwell time for heavy topspin forehand loop).

Firstly I'd like to see this post in the Equipment thread rather than the shop thread.

In order of purchase (all with flared handle) we have:

1. Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 (too squarish handle and too hard feeling from carbon layer)

2. Andro Blax Off - Cross Ply Superlite (nice comfortable handle, feels too light and a little slow, very hard blade to destroy btw, when I deliberately tried to wreck it after stripping the handle off for my Joola R*1)

3. Joola R*1 (x2 purchases) My formerly? favourite blade with awesome speed, reasonable control and soft feel that seems to give enhanced topspin. However my pushes sit up high and get attacked plus blade is 13mm thick making handle too uncomfortable. The blasa handle can be sanded down easily but even after reshaping and then swapping it with the handle pieces from the Andro Blax Off it still did not fit comfortably which causes me to hit inconsistently

4. Dr Neubar High Technology Plus - oversized, overpriced, offensive blade that was slowish and had vibration...glad I got rid of it (practically gave it away)

5. Joola Kool - my fastest balsa blade yet but also with the worst control. Felt like I was playing on ice. The handle is also too small/thin in real life - though it seemed normal in pictures. I beat two defenders with it but as soon as I played against an attacking player (one I'd never lost to) I had no control and lost in straight sets. Anyone want one?

6. Juic Air Texa - www.juic.co.jp There is broad range in Juic Air series but I had to buy this one as it's the only one offered in Aust. Go to http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools to see entire range.
If the Juic Air Carbon (10mm thick) was offered I'd likely buy that to try as well. These blades offer the advantage of thick blasa but with a normal sized handle. I've played against the Juic Air Titan (with Titanium) and it was mighty fast for smashing/power drives. I suspect it's a bit hard feeling and may lack some control...judging on how I consistently beat the guy using it

Juic Air Texa - at 10mm thick others may see this as a fat bat but not me. The flared handle is wide enough but feels thin and flatish (lozenge shaped). It's probably perfect once I get used to it as it allows great manouverability (hand speed). The blade feels soft which is good and a little slow which has been good for control and blocking. It is amazing to chop with using DHS H3 (max Blue Sponge version) but the rubber is too slow for my attacking game. Combine Air Texa with Dawei Navigator GT-A2 rubber and the speed picks up to a most acceptable level with great control and (surprisingly) spin. I'm going to chance using this "temporarily?" non-ITTF approved rubber in tournaments because it initially appears to be the best I've tried so far. The top sheet surface looks to be of fairly poor quality (dull and marked) but with the sponge it plays very nicely for forehand loops and is also good for blocking and counterhitting. However pushing is nothing special and I find it terrible to do soft or short serves with. I’ve applied Shellac varnish to the blade as it looks like it might strip after repeated speed gluing. The blade is light but not too light…I’d prefer if it was a bit longer and wider to match the Joola R*1.

If the Juic Air Texa holds up tonight in match play then it will indeed be the best balsa blade I've tried to date.

Last edited by silke on 09 May 2007, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2007, 15:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Excellent post silke, and welcome to the forum!

You're right this should go in the equipment section, I'm happy to move it there if like?

We've actually been trying to get the air carbon 10mm, but JUIC have been out of stock...

I personally like the A2 version of the Dawei rubbers best as well, I'm not sure when they'll become approved again...Dawei won't give definitive answers...

I hope you didn't put too much varnish on the blade, since this will make it feel harder... A very thin coat of polyurethame is what I usually use. Wipe it on, leave for 2 mins, then wipe it off and let it dry...

Let us know how you go...

Post subject: Juic Air Texa Revisited
PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 00:29 

Thanks Haggisv...yes please do move it to the equipment thread.

Well the Juic Air Texa definately held up in match play so I have to say it's the best balsa blade I've tried to date. It is rated slower than the Juic Air Titanium which is rated slower than the Juic Air Carbon. While the blade does FEEL a little slower than the Joola R*1 it has noticably more control. The blade has a desired soft feeling and I keep getting surprised at how my blocks and other shots returned at full stretch actually land on the table. Yet when I'm attacking there is ample power...so much that my opponents actually commented on how fast I was hitting (looping) the ball past them with this bat. So yes it's fast enough. The other advantage is the more comfortable handle...I don't have to alter my grip between forehand and backhand shots which is probably saving 1 point in unforced errors every set.

I used 3 ultrathin 'coats' of Shellac varnish (French Polish) to seal the blade and got the idea of wiping it on with a cloth from you. The varnish is soft and I don't think it's altered the feel of the blade like a too thick coat of polyurethane would. Shellac is used on a homemade blade makers website and is also reported as being used by Wang Liqin. I'm quite happy with the results.

As for the rubbers I have Dawei Navigator GT-A2 (Red 2.2mm) on the forehand and DHS H3 (Black, Max Blue Sponge) on the backhand. I was planning to use the Dawei on both sides but after in-depth testing during training tonight there is a problem. Of 20 or so rubbers I've tried over the years, the H3 is the best so far for serving and pushing (and maybe backhand flick/loop) but it's average at everything else. The Navigator is the best rubber I've tried for forehand loop, is excellent for blocking and counter-hitting. However it's ordinary for pushing and is absolutely aweful to serve with. Thus I'm going to have to keep playing with this awkward combination while I keep searching for my ideal table tennis rubber.

haggisv please advise the difference between:

1. DAWEI 388A-2 SPRUNGFEDER (I think this is the version you like best?)
2. Dawei Navigator GT A-2
3. Dawei SPRUNGFEDER G3 A2 (I've read the G3 has less control and suspect you personally don't find it as good?)

What is the order of release to market from oldest to newest?
What is the URL for Dawei website please as I can't find it? (Even 729 has their own website so Dawei should have one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 07:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ok, topic moved.

The difference between those rubbers are not great, they all have a similar feel, and respond to glue similarly.

They were released in this order:
1. DAWEI 388A-2 SPRUNGFEDER (I think this is the version you like best?)
2. Dawei SPRUNGFEDER G3 A2
3. Dawei Navigator GT A-2

Yes I thought the original was the fastest and I liked it the best (how did you know?). The G3 just seemed a little slower, but this may be because the sponges were softer even though the rated by Dawei the same. The GT is similar again but not as much reverse tensioned. When glued up it plays very similar again, despite the lower pricetag.

Dawei website is here: "http://www.daweisports.com/", but it's next to useless....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2007, 00:52 

Thanks for the Dawei website...it was actually useful to me.

Analysing the results it appears I'm looking for a table tennis rubber with powerful Euro sponge like the SPRUNGFEDER and a tacky topsheet like H3. The first one I've found that might match this is Kokutaku rubber (German sponge version) and have ordered some to try. Fingers crossed they work out.

I'm showing my confidence in the Juic Air Texa and have immediately ordered a second blade as a backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 16:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cheers silke!

Yes the Kokutaku may be the closest. the only other ones that might come close are:
higher/faster III (not that tacky though)
JUIC 999 (again not that tacky)
G666 or TG3

Do you speed glue?

PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 23:50 

Thanks Haggisv…I’m looking forward to trying the Kokutaku on my second Juic Air Texa later this week. A fellow player uses DHS Skyline TG2 so I’ll ask to try that on Sunday to get some idea of what TG3 is like. Reading up on TG3 there’s a fair chance I’ll buy a sheet to test. I would have brought a sheet of G666 except I already have a sheet on order from another supplier (for the past 4 months!) that is supposedly on its way to me. Not holding my breath though. I’ve played against G666 and was impressed with the spin. It felt nice and tacky with a soft sponge. However your site says it’s slower than H3 and I already find H3 slow so that may not so good.

Compared the Juic Air Texa (3 Wood + 2 Texalium) to the Juic Air Titan (3 Wood + 2 Titanium) yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that each blade has a different top ply. The Juic Air Titan top ply looks like Limba while the Juic Air Texa top ply looks like some kind of open-grained, coarse wood I’ve never seen before. The Juic Air Texa comes with a very fine varnish(?) coating that you have to look hard to notice but I haven't taken a chance with splintering and applied Shellac varnish over it.
It must be said that the two blades had different brand rubbers so I can only talk generally but they did feel and play very similarly. The Juic Air Titan was a tad faster but maybe with a tad less control and spin generation. Already owning a Juic Air Texa, there was not enough difference to make me want to buy a Juic Air Titan. There is still the Juic Air Carbon and Juic Air G-10 (Fiberglass) to try when they are available but they are less suited to heavy topspin looping so I’m probably already using the best Juic Air variant for my game.

Indeed after beating the leading player 3 games straight tonight (last week I also beat the #2 leading player 3 games straight with this blade) they commented that I was playing more consistently. In other words this “slower” blade is giving me more control. Combine the Juic Air Texa with fast rubbers and heaps of speed glue (I glued up three times tonight when I normally only speed glue once at the start of the night) there is ample power to blow opponents away and still maintain control for return of service/pushing/blocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 09:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds good! Please let us know how you like the Kokutaku. I think you'll like the quality, feel and spin, just not sure if it's fast enough. They do react to glue very well, so hopefully that will do the trick.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007, 13:45 

Below is a rough list of rubbers I’ve purchased and tried over the past 2 years. If anyone wants feedback about a particular one then speak up and I’ll start typing. I know Kokutaku feedback has been asked for and I'll provide that after a bit more testing. I’ll edit this post as reviews are added.

Note that my speed scale is likely to be higher than most people. For example, I rate Andro Revolution C.O.R. and Dawei Navigator GT A-2 as FAST, Stiga Almana, Kokutaku Tulpe 007 (with German spg), DHS Hurricane 3 and GLOBE 999 (national version) as MEDIUM and Friendship 729 FX as SLOW speed rubber.

Also I’m a more Euro style (salute type) looper than Chinese style looper. I tend to use all arm with not enough hip rotation and forward weight transfer. There is too much shoulder, too much backswing, way too much elbow, and not enough wrist. The movement is powerful but not quick and has slow recovery. I get heavy topspin and huge power (coach feedback rates it directly comparable to the awesome power of David Zalcberg…we use the same coach :) ). Looping against topspin I let the ball sink into the sponge and hit the ball really hard...looping against backspin I tend to brush ball (too much brush and not enough forwards actually).

I want a durable, fast rubber with maximum thickness, medium-soft sponge and tacky topsheet. Oh, and it can’t have too low a throw.
30+ rubbers later I’m still searching for my holy grail. Kokutaku Tulpe 007 (with German spg) comes closest so far...if only it was a tad faster and didn't have such low throw.

=================================================================================

Andro Revolution C.O.R
Red & Black 1.8mm, 2.0mm, 2.2mm Off-White sponge

Andro Revolution C.O.R Super sponge
Red & Black 2.2mm Pale Yellow sponge

Butterfly Bryce FX

Butterfly Shriver G2-FX

Dawei Navigator GT A-2
Red & Black 2.2mm, great except for lack of tackiness and slip (grip) problem, plus low manufacturing quality

Dawei SPRUNGFEDER G3 A
Red 2.2mm, way too soft sponge. Same mush as Joola Mambo & Tibhar Torpedo Soft.

DHS Dipper II
Red & Black 2.2mm

DHS G666
Black, Max (Orange) sponge

DHS Hurricane 3 (SPECIAL BLUE SPONGE VERSION)
Black 2.2mm

Friendship 729 Geo Spin Black 2.2mm

Friendship 729 GeoSpin Tacky - Red & Black 2.2mm

Friendship 729 FX (BLUE Sponge) - Black 2.0mm – sold it for $5

Friendship 729 Cream MRS (Red 2.2mm with MRS (Magic Red Sponge) Sponge)
Too hard sponge, was too slow – sold it for $5

Friendship 729 Focus III (Red 2.2mm) Used on backhand for a month or two.

Friendship 729-2 (Red 2.2mm) – not as good as Friendship 729 Focus III – sold it for $5

Friendship Cross 729-2 (Red with 2.3mm, 43 degree orange sponge) – too slow and hard sponge – sold it for $5

Friendship Cross SST-729 (Red with 2.0mm, 45 degree orange sponge) Unopened

Friendship 729 FX Super Soft - Red & Black 2.2mm

Friendship 729 Xi En-ting, Japanese Spg (Red 2.0mm with white, medium-hard sponge) – sold it for $5

GLOBE 999 – the worst rubber I’ve ever brought…but also the cheapest. Inconsistent sponge
Black Max – threw in bin?

GLOBE 999 (national version)
Red 2.2mm 39deg & Black 2.2mm 39deg & 38deg
My Review: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/forum/v ... =4839#4839

Joola Mambo – Red, Max Sponge, soft mush sponge

Joola Tango Extreme – Red, Max Sponge

Kokutaku Tulpe 007 rubber with German spg
Red & Black 2.2mm – medium speed and low throw = hit into net, esp. when smashing. Quality manufacture, clear glad-wrap lamination on topsheet

Kokutaku Blutenkirsche 868 rubber with German spg
Red & Black 2.2mm – untried, rated to be slower than 007

LKT Pro XT Black 2.2mm – sold it for next to nothing with a blade, soft mush sponge

Stiga Almana Red & Black 2.2mm, Medium speed, too low throw, not enough spin

Stiga Almana Sound Red 2.2mm, Medium speed, too low throw, not enough spin

Stiga Neos Tacky Red Max sponge – sold it for $10

Tibhar Torpedo Soft – Red, Max Sponge - soft mush sponge, gave it away

Yasaka Mark V 30 degrees – low spin, did not impress – sold it for next to nothing with a blade

Yasaka V Stage – Red 2.0mm low spin and speed - gave it away. My sheet played dull and lifeless. Not at all like the rubbers specifications...maybe I had a bad sheet?

Yasaka Xtend SG Red Max sponge "SG" is the Speed Glue version – sold it for $5

Last edited by silke on 07 Jun 2007, 00:30, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007, 14:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow, that is an impressive list! Your speed scale must be quite different to many others, if you put Stiga Almama in the slow category... isn't that classed as Stiga's fastest rubber? It's very good to mention this though, since this puts the review into perspective.

I would be most interested to hear your thoughs on the following:

Dawei Navigator GT A-2
DHS Dipper II
Friendship 729 Focus III
Kokutaku Tulpe 007 rubber with German spg

Sorry, quite a few, but any comments would be good!

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007, 17:48 

haggisv wrote:
Wow, that is an impressive list! Your speed scale must be quite different to many others, if you put Stiga Almama in the slow category... isn't that classed as Stiga's fastest rubber?

Maybe he brushes the ball? Yet classifies himself as a euro looper because of Law's thread.

Post subject: Re: Juic Air Texa
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007, 17:59 
I am Legend
I am Legend

silke wrote:
5. Joola Kool
The handle is also too small/thin in real life - though it seemed normal in pictures.

Wow, that's a new one.
I've had several kools (and I mean several), all flared, pass through my hands. The handles are considerably thicker than Stiga Master FL and bty fl. They actually gave me callouses on the underside of the first knuckle on all 4 fingers...

Post subject: loop style
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007, 18:12 

That is a good point tiwaz. I have only classified myself as a euro looper because of Law's thread - I definitely do the salute motion. When looping, I like the ball to sink into the sponge which is where rubbers like Andro Revolution C.O.R. Super Sponge feel great. I'm not after too soft mind you like "Joola Mambo" and "Tibhar Torpedo Soft" mush. It's true I brush the ball a fair bit to generate spin...if I don't the coaches get stuck into me for hitting the ball too flat with not enough spin. They want arc and spin. I think "Brush" is one of their favourite buzz words.

Stiga Almana is classified as one of their fastest rubbers but for me (and another I know) it doesn't generate enough spin. It has too low a throw and not enough forward speed so the result is a ball straight into the net. When it does go over the net though I notice it's harder than usual for the opponent to block.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!