OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 03:24 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
I have not been able to locate a Hock 3-ply blade for a hardbat setup,so I have been searching for something that is currently available that plays most like the Hock. For those of you who have played hardbat with a 3-ply Hock, what do you think is most similar? I have been using an LKT Toxic 3 with Dr Evil, but what else is out there?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 18:59 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
steveh wrote:
I have not been able to locate a Hock 3-ply blade for a hardbat setup,so I have been searching for something that is currently available that plays most like the Hock. For those of you who have played hardbat with a 3-ply Hock, what do you think is most similar? I have been using an LKT Toxic 3 with Dr Evil, but what else is out there?

Honestly not familiar with Hock 3-ply blades whatsoever. Is Hock a reference to the species of wood used in the blade, is that a style or design of bat, or is it merely a brand name?

Do you know the plywood makeup / recipe for the blade? If you can track this information down (ie: the thickness and species of each layer in the core) then I might be able to recommend an alternative.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 04:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Why get something like a Hock, when authentic Hock blades are still available? I bought two new ones last year.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 07:21 

Hock bats were made by Bernie Hock in the classic hardbat age of table tennis. I bought several from him in the 70's, after he had been making them for many years. Once in a while, one comes up for sale on ebay, but usually at a crazy price. Marty Reisman sold some of the Hock stock after Bernie Hock died, but I don't know what happened to what was left after Marty died.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2022, 12:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
steveh wrote:
Hock bats were made by Bernie Hock in the classic hardbat age of table tennis. I bought several from him in the 70's, after he had been making them for many years. Once in a while, one comes up for sale on ebay, but usually at a crazy price. Marty Reisman sold some of the Hock stock after Bernie Hock died, but I don't know what happened to what was left after Marty died.

Like I said, “original stock, original HOCK” bats and blades are still available.
Contact Don Varian ([email protected]). Prices as of last year were $50 each plus $10 shipping via USPS priority mail. They were originally $4.

Attachments:
hock.jpg
hock.jpg [ 39.38 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]
IMG_4656.jpeg
IMG_4656.jpeg [ 3.86 MiB | Viewed 966 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2022, 23:26 

Thanks! I had heard that Don was no longer selling them. I will get in touch with him.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2022, 01:04 

I just learned that Don Varian is no longer making Hock bats due to health reasons.
I will keep looking for a modern substitute. Maybe someday I will run across a Hock bat for sale.
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2022, 14:23 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
steveh wrote:
I just learned that Don Varian is no longer making Hock bats due to health reasons.
I will keep looking for a modern substitute. Maybe someday I will run across a Hock bat for sale.
Thanks for the help!

Any idea what timbers are used in these bats?

From the look of them they're quite straight forward. Assuming you can identify the timber they used, any decent bladesmith or hobbyist woodworker should be able to put one together for you very easily. :) :)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2022, 16:00 

Valortabletennis has a variety of birch/poplar blades designed for hardbat play. Can't speak to the similarity to hock blades though as I have not tried a hock