OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2023, 19:01 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
Hello, in the eternal search for the perfect equipment, I am experimenting with thick and off balsa blades but most of them are oversized. Would like them to have a thickness of 10 or more but not oversized. Suggestions? I love the feel of Dr Neubauer Bulldozer but is so oversized and heavy (more with a Hurricane on the FH), Giant Dragon Super Balsa II, also oversized (well, mine is cropped). Whti those thick blades I feel that I have a good touch in slow shots and really fast when I need it.
Thank you.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2023, 19:24 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Re-Impact T4 comes to mind.

Crazy fast on active strokes and good control when more passive. I had trouble adjusting my playing to this blade when away from the table, but it was my son's, so I didn't really spend much time trying. At the table, it's a beast (in a good way).

Forum user Achim is the maker. If you need something special, you should contact him.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2023, 21:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Joola R1*.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2023, 12:50 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
there is the TSP black Balsa 7.0 and Balsa 8.5. My wife used the 7.0, it is a very light blade.

I also have Joola Kool and R1, but these are very hard to find.

I play with the Dr Neubauer High Technology Plus, which is about 12mm, but oversize, with H3. You could cut this down.

There is also Hallmark Ultra, but I wouldn't recommend this, they are now being made very heavy.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2023, 16:48 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
You don't specify how thick you mean by "thick", but the Donic cayman is another possibility. It's either 7.0mm or 8.0mm thick from memory, with 0.5mm Koto outers - a good all round blade with good speed, very light weight, very affordable, and is quite popular with combination players due to the balsa effect.

TSP also manufactured some very good end-grain balsa blades with fiberglass composite layers. Have used one myself and can speak to their quality (I think these are still being made, might be worth a look).

ReImpact (as already mentioned) make some excellent balsa blades of extremely high quality, so they are definitely worth a shot as well.

And if none of the above work for you, then perhaps consider commissioning a custom-made blade from a quality bladesmith. You may end up paying a little more on average, but the quality and value for money more than make up for it IMO (...and yes, I am hugely biased on this subject, as I'm a custom bladesmith myself)

Some commonly cited and credible names in the custom bladesmith space, include Ross Leidy in the US, SDC Blades in Portugal, and Blades By Charlie in the US, amongst many others -- all of whom make top quality blades.

Plus (...and I really don't normally do this...) if none of the above hold any appeal, I also make a steady stream of thick custom balsa blades for my clients myself. I'm based in Australia and would be happy to help or advise you further, if I can. (link to my website is in my signature line below).

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2023, 02:20 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
Thank you!!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2023, 18:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Thick offensive balsa blades are the easiest sort of blade to MAKE, since the materials are readily available from model airplane shops. You need some 5 or 6mm balsa (3/16" - 1/4") and some 1/64" or 1/32" three ply birch plywood. And some wood glue (Titebond or similar, or slow-curing epoxy). And some way to clamp together the sandwich (some 3/4" particle board shelving and some large C-clamps should work, protect the particle board with wax paper). A 3/16" balsa core with two layers of 1/64" ply will result in a slowish blade (maybe ALL-) while a 1/4" balsa core with two layers of 1/32" ply will result in a rocket (OFF+++, I kid you not). Handle pieces are easily carved out of 1/2" balsa.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2023, 17:50 
Super User

XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon...

PostPosted: 14 May 2023, 23:43 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Yinhe T10/T10+, 10mm, 158x150, 70 something grams

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!