OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Protecting blade edge
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2023, 07:05 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I rarely hit my blade with a table. But when I do its is very hard.
Tried some thick foamy edge tape and put ordinal table tennis textile tape over it.

When the worst happened: both tapes cut almost in halves and finally the blade protection is minimal if any. The blade is heavy damaged.

I am interested if any more resilient protection tapes exist. Kevlar, Zylon or whatever?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2023, 08:20 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
I haven't tried these but they are ideas.

Perhaps something like this would work? You would have to cut it to fit, and it's a tad pricey...

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/abras ... ction-tape

This stuff is apparently for protection of wood during sandblasting. Maybe it would work?

https://www.uline.com/BL_6513/3M-500-Im ... pping-Tape

Trying to think outside the box of edgetapes meant for table tennis...

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2023, 20:44 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
Omut wrote:
Tried some thick foamy edge tape and put ordinal table tennis textile tape over it.

When the worst happened: both tapes cut almost in halves and finally the blade protection is minimal if any. The blade is heavy damaged.

I am interested if any more resilient protection tapes exist. Kevlar, Zylon or whatever?

I have seen a couple of examples of players using tapes made from synthetic fibers (carbon fiber etc) Honestly not sure where they get it from, or if it works... I can only confirm that the stuff does exist, and is out there somewhere if you;re willing to look for it.

If however it's a recurrent problem for you, I would recommend you consider putting epoxy on the leading edge underneath the edge tape as well (depending on the weight of your blade and edge tape that is... the carbon fiber tape I mentioned is/was pretty heavy from memory.

Failing that, another possible option is wrapping a thin layer of wood veneer around just the leading edge of your blade.

Depending on the hardness and flexibility of the wood you choose (cough cough - Jarrah or walnut- cough cough) and the type of glue you use (cough cough - Superglue - cough cough) this could provide almost the same protection as the carbon tape, but with less weight.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 14 May 2023, 22:59 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
For me, I use superglue along side the blade edge.

PostPosted: 15 May 2023, 10:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://www.ozon.ru/product/lenta-uplot ... jPr4-mu9kw

PostPosted: 15 May 2023, 20:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
rokphish2 wrote:

Interesting option! How do you apply it?
It's not stuff you want to spill onto the blade face or your hands! :lol:

PostPosted: 16 May 2023, 01:44 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
haggisv wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

Interesting option! How do you apply it?
It's not stuff you want to spill onto the blade face or your hands! :lol:
Holding the blade straight up, I just drop a little at the top and use the other end of the super glue (the flat end) and swipe the glue downward. Repeat until I get it all down to the wing area and do the other side. With the rubbers off, of course. I started with a blade I didn't like at first, just in case, but I didn't encounter the glue going over the side to the face area. Provided I didn't put too much glue at any one time.

For precaution, one could use a small wooden/rubber stick, spatula like, and apply the glue on it first then use it to apple on the blade's edge.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023, 23:49 

Blade: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
FH: VICTAS 102 (ZLC side)2 mm
BH: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5m
Omut wrote:

I use window sealing foam. It's cheap, light and a super good protection. There are so many choices online. Choose one with proper width and thickness. If the sealing foam can't attach properly on the blade, apply a bit glue on both the blade side wall and the sealing foam. Then they will stick together very well.

Blade#1: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
Blade#2: Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Blade#3: Joo Saehyuk
FH: VICTAS 102 2.0mm
BH#1: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm (ALC side)
BH#2: Nittaku DO Knuckle 1.4mm
BH#3: Yasaka Anti Power

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2023, 23:43 

Blade: OSP Expert
FH: Donic Acuda P2
BH: Donic Acuda P2
well, in the old days, when celluloid table tennis balls were all around us, I would take one crushed or worn, and just dissolve it in a little bit of nail polish and then apply it to the edge. there was no better protection than this ...

but now, I have no idea, how to do it ...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023, 16:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

nelsonchen wrote:
I use window sealing foam. It's cheap, light and a super good protection. There are so many choices online. Choose one with proper width and thickness. If the sealing foam can't attach properly on the blade, apply a bit glue on both the blade side wall and the sealing foam. Then they will stick together very well.

This stuff?

I remember I suggested using this maybe 4 years ago and had several people tell me that:

1) It was stupid, 2) It looked stupid and 3) It was illegal (Igor.. :lol: )

Yeah, lots of different options, there's even thicker stuff made of less dense foam (which I don't think would work as well). Never tried it myself (I didn't have this problem), so no personal experience, though I did buy a bunch of the stuff once for.. er, sealing windows (it makes a huge difference in one's electric bill, and how cool a room actually gets when you seal the windows and doors). Don't think it'd prevent the sort of damage the original poster was talking about, though... I remember about twenty years ago a friend put a 1 inch deep, 90 degree divot in the side of his blade by hitting the edge of the table while doing a tomahawk serve. Nothing's going to prevent that, not even 3mm carbon fiber strip. Which is available, by the way:

https://shopee.com.my/Carbon-Fiber-Flat ... -x-1000-(L)-(Optional)-CFF-i.92575144.3001650433

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000169740911.html

Yurifi wrote:
well, in the old days, when celluloid table tennis balls were all around us, I would take one crushed or worn, and just dissolve it in a little bit of nail polish and then apply it to the edge. there was no better protection than this ...

but now, I have no idea, how to do it ...

The modern equivalent would be thin super glue - it'll soak into the wood and solidify, and it's essentially acrylic plastic. If you actually want a layer of cellulose nitrate (which is what the balls were), find some balsa wood cement, e.g. Duco or SIGMent or Ambroid:

https://www.amazon.com/Duco-Cement-Mult ... B07MWK3D9G

https://www.stevensaero.com/product/sig-ment/

If you don't care what plastic you want, you can ask your friend who builds plastic model kits for old sprues and dissolve them in acetone (this would be polystyrene), or you can do the same thing with styrofoam peanuts or packaging (this would have the advantage of being colorless or white instead of the usual grey).

Iskandar