OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 05 May 2024, 01:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 08:14 
Super User

Hello,

I know that ChrisBuer is playing with this blade.
Maybe others too?

I will appreciate if you can give your comments about it on this topic.

I would also know thikness, widht and lenght of this blade.

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 08:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I am interested too... who makes this blade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 08:38 
Super User

haggisv wrote:

Best of Five

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 08:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ahhh :lol: :lol: :lol: Is that a chinese company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 09:46 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Ahhh :lol: :lol: :lol: Is that a chinese company?

I don't think so. I think it must be german. But I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 04:03 
The Twiddler

Sorry I missed this thread but Reb kindly brought it to my attention.

I'll write up a review for you and post it within the next day or so.

:)

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 04:32 
Super User

Capoblanco wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Best of Five

How does this blade play in a best of seven match, specifically in games 6 and 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 05:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Q: How does this blade play in a best of seven match, specifically in games 6 and 7

A: It comes with a guranetee. You'll wither win or lose in 5 :D

It looks like an good blade for a defender. I'm looking forward to the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 13:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Actually in a best of seven the blade is still rarin' to go at the end of the match, cos in its view, its into its second best of five! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 19:43 
The Twiddler

Right, time I posted up my review of the B-O-5 Carbon 2000 Defence :)

I'll try and split this review up into categories and then try and offer my thoughts on this blade. As with any piece of equipment, what works for one person might not work for another, however I will attempt to explain the feel and performance of this blade as best I can.

Construction & Size:
The Carbon 2000 is a 3+2ply blade and weighs 90g's. Even though this is not as light as most of the other blades I have played with, it has a really nice feel and balance to it. I have been unable to find the types of wood this blade uses but I can report that it has a very solid feel to it, certainly nothing like the Dr N. Special blade I’ve used in the past.

The blade also has two thin carbon layers running through it (shown below) which obviously give it a bit more bite if you want to attack and add to the overall feel of the blade.

The handle also has a good feel to it and provides superb sensery feedback when controlling the ball either hitting or blocking.

The blade is advertised as oversized but I do not have the official dimensions to it. However, you can see from the below pictures how it compares to my Andro ALL+ blade which is 149mm in diameter and arguably one of the smaller blades available on the market. For most I would say that the Carbon 2000 would be considered “normal size”.

I would say compared to the Dr N. Special blade, that the Carbon 2000 is smaller in diameter and certainly a lot smaller in blade thickness. In fact, this is one of the attractions of this blade as I always found that twiddling the thicker Special blade slightly off-putting.

Speed & Control:
I’ve played with a lot of blades so it’s probably best that I try and give my own personal speed rating in order to establish the differences between the Carbon 2000 and my other blades.

If I was rating the speed out of 10, with 10 being the fastest, the following would apply:

Dr N. Special – 10
Donic Cayman – 8.5
Andro Fibrecomp – 6
Andro Kinetic ALL+ Titanium – 7
Carbon 2000 – 5

The rating for control, with 10 being the best:

Dr N. Special – 7.5
Donic Cayman – 7
Andro Fibrecomp – 8
Andro Kinetic ALL+ Titanium – 9
Carbon 2000 – 10

Practical Play:
So what’s this blade like to play with?

- Attacking:
If you like to flat hit, this is not the blade for you. However if you like to loop, with the right rubber this blade is superb! Its problem on flat hard hits is that the wood seems to really absorb the force and energy of the ball. There is a very audible hollow sounding clunk when you hit the ball hard. The wood is not soft but very hollow sounding. I can only really describe it as a hard hollow feeling bat.

What I would also say is that if you are used to a balsa blade, you will know that feeling when you hit a ball hard and it pings off your bat with great acceleration. The Carbon 2000 doesn’t do this. If you whack it hard the wood absorbs most of this energy and you get a very audible wooden clonk and a moderate amount of speed. It’s certainly not a blade that you can quickly flick with and produce high speed shots. This obviously does have it’s benefits when it comes to defending though!

Due to the speed, I’ve had to put on quite a fast forehand rubber in order to use it effectively to loop with. This rubber is Andro Roxon 450 (2.0mm). On a normal ALL+ blade, I would find this rubber way to fast but on the Carbon 2000, the blade speed really brings down the pace of the rubber. The result is that I get all the benefits of the spin from this rubber, a nice catapult effect when looping and very good spin, in fact exceptional spin! I’m winning more points now from my spin serves and loops than I have done with my other blades and rubber combinations.

- Defending:
This is where this blade comes into its own. When I mentioned that the wood absorbed the energy of the ball, it works very well with slow pips like Insider. Again, there is a little bit of spring there when you need it to flick or punch at the ball but on hard shots, the blade takes the venom out of their shot very well. It has superb feel and control and as a result, I feel more comfortable when cushioning the ball and defending. Away from the table its very predictable, allows very effective and consistent chopping and ball placement. Close to the table, again it’s great and offers very easy control.

Conclusion:
So, should you buy the Carbon 2000 Defence? Well like I said at the start of this review, equipment and rubbers are all very personal. What works for one person might not work for another. However the style in which I play, defending on the backhand (pips) and attacking on the forehand with my loops, this blade works very well.

If I was a hard hitter I would not buy this blade and all of your energy smashing hard seems to get absorbed into the wood. However, with the right rubber (maybe short pips) this blade might work well. All I can say is that with my rubber combination, hard hitting doesn’t appear to work very well.

Having played with some many different blades, the Carbon 2000 Defence is my number one choice. It allows me to play a controlled blocking game, provides fantastic touch and feel in the short game and with the faster Andro Roxon rubber gives me a very effective looping blade.

I’ve played with the following blades, Andro Kinetic Titanium ALL+, Dr N. Special, Andro Fibrecomp DEF, Donic Cayman, Butterfly Grubba ALL+ Carbon, Butterfly Primorac OFF- and obviously the Carbon 2000 Defence.

I can say that of the above, the Carbon 2000 gives me the best control when defending, offers very effective looping and because I have a lot of control, I feel that I can put more power into my spin shots and loops. Personally speaking, it’s the blade for me :)

-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Nice review and pics Chris. I didn't realise just how slow that blade must be looking at your rating comarisons, but that's very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this at my request. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:42 
The Twiddler

No worries :)

Yes the blade is slow, but it's funny, to me it now feels "normal" in pace, so when I pick up something like the Cayman or Dr N. Special, they feel REALLY fast! :lol:

I would imagine that their all-round blade (linked here - http://www.tabletennisdirect.com/produc ... ct=bocalld ) would be similar in speed to something like the Cayman. However this is only an assumption as I've not played with this blade before.

I have to say that this blade really isn't like anything else that I've tried, but then again you'll see from my list that I've haven't tried any other defensive rated blades. However, do you know when you hit a ball really hard with a normal all-round bat you get that distinctive "crack" sound from the wood? Well on this blade it's more of a hollow clunk. This appears to be why it's so good for control but when it comes to hitting hard, it doesn't really work. Looping however is fine because you are using more of the rubber than the blade.

-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Makes sense to me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 05:34 
Super User

Thanks ChrisBuer, for this review !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 06:50 
Super User

Using your pictures, I made a little calculation.
I would say that the sizes are +/- 160 x 154mm with 100mm for your handle.