OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xiom Vega
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 12:00 

Baal wrote:
... The other possibility is that all three are something quite different...

From what I understand, the differences are as follows:

Pro and Asia = same sponges but different topsheet composition with different pip structure. Vega Pro topsheet has 100% natural rubber w/shorter pips; hence, more spin but a bit slower. Whereas, the Vega Asia has a synthetic/natural rubber blend w/longer pips; hence, slightly less spin but a bit faster.

Europe = Different, softer sponge than Asia and Pro. I'm not sure about the topsheet, but I'd guess it's similar to Asia but on a softer sponge. I know Europe topsheet is a synthetic/natural rubber blend.

I haven't played with Pro or Europe, but I have played with Asia and I would say it also has a lower throw compared to other rubbers I played. Fortunately, I prefer a lower throw. Based on my experience, Asia most closely resembles the Haifu Whale II, but with a lower throw, more speed, better feel, and more control.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 15:51 

A little more: Xiom Vega Asian is very different from Xiom Vega Pro. I found the Asian version to be much softer and more like other Tensor rubbers wheras Pro was just completely different...

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 16:01 
Super User

anton.. what you say sounds logical... but what's the source? why you think so?

it surely conforms to the difference between T05 and T64 as in pro and asia.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 16:18 

debraj wrote:

I'm glad it sounds logical... I guess we'll see if it is... :D

Unfortunately, one of the sources eludes me right now. I'll do some searching and see if I can scrounge up the data table demonstrating the sponge differences. (It was on a Korean website that a Korean buddy of mine found and loosely translated for me.) It basically demonstrated that the Pro and Asia sponges were the same and the Europe was different. Regarding the topsheet, you can see on just about any website promoting Vega that Pro has %100 natural rubber and Asia and Europe are a blend. Hence, the Pro durability is allegedly increased x2; whereas, the Asia and Europe durability are only allegedly increased by x1.3 to x1.5.

I know my current lack of citing of sources on this topic may look sketchy. For that I apologize. I'll try to find that Korean website again. In the meantime, maybe you can stir up some info and either correct what I've said or perhaps find some more substantial support. :D

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 17:07 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

When are they available in Aussie

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 18:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Geoff might be able to answer that :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 09:47 
Super User

Ooops!!! Wooks seems to be ex Mr. Yasaka Man :) .... great to have him post in this forum. Who else could be a better reviewer than himself?

[Although his sponge hardness 'feel's are different from my 'feel's ;) ... after comparison of Mark V and Mark V XS. Hope the same is not true between vega and tenergy.]

Now that he is here... can we not have a comparative review of Mark V HPS Vega Pro and if possible Andro Hexer (which also boasts 100% natural rubber like Vega Pro ... and the same generation porous esn sponge underneath).

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 11:24 

debraj wrote:

I'm still unable to find the table from which I drew the inference that Asia and Pro have the same sponge, but a I came across a forum in which someone cited the table's figures (unfortunately without actually presenting the table itself, nor a link to it... grrr...).

It's not "hard evidence" supporting my claim, but if by chance you want the data anyway then here it is:

XIOM VEGA PRO-SPONGE HARDNESS-47, 5
XIOM VEGA ASIA -SPONGE HARDNESS-47,5
XIOM VEGA EUROPE -SPONGE HARDNESS-42,5

Xiom must have a different rating system, as my 40 degree Neo H3 sponge is obviously much harder than the alleged 47.5 degree Pro/Asia sponge. Nonetheless, if you believe this data then it seems that the Pro and Asia sponge are identical in density. Of course, if you don't believe this data then it's just numbers on a computer screen. :cyclops:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 13:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Top sheets of the Pro and Asian version must also be different to account for thewook's report above that Asian version feels softer.

The fact that the sponge is black is also interesting, suggests it is something different from usual tenergy clones.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 13:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Anton,

You will find the table you are looking for at the very top of this comment thread! Geoff included it with a picture of the package. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 13:42 

Baal wrote:
Anton,

You will find the table you are looking for at the very top of this comment thread! Geoff included it with a picture of the package. :lol:

I can't believe how retarded I am... :oops: :lol: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 13:53 

Baal wrote:
Top sheets of the Pro and Asian version must also be different to account for thewook's report above that Asian version feels softer.

The fact that the sponge is black is also interesting, suggests it is something different from usual tenergy clones.

It's a "carbo-sponge", meaning that there's carbon in it. Carbon is black (coal=carbon) so I'm assuming that's why the sponge is black too.

I think the soft feeling of Asia comes from the longer pips. They add a spongy/springy feel, which is why Asia is also a bit faster. I talked to my old coach in Korea last night, and he was telling me that most of the players in his club are basically saying that the Vega Pro is literally a professional level rubber. They felt that most players cannot fully appreciate its characteristics simply due to their poorer impact with the ball, less developed strokes, etc. They said it's basically the same for Tenergy 05. Whereas, Asia (and Tenergy 64) are faster but a bit more forgiving (due to their "sponginess") and therefore they are more appealing to lower level players. That isn't to say that anyone who uses Tenergy 64 is a lower level player, but simply that Vega Pro and T05 require a more highly trained hand to fully appreciate them--which is probably why I like the Asia so much and Henzell likes the Pro. :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 17:14 
Super User

"
It's a "carbo-sponge", meaning that there's carbon in it. Carbon is black (coal=carbon) so I'm assuming that's why the sponge is black too.
"

at least that's what xiom wants you and many other non-materials engineers playing table tennis to think.

neither carbon is black in all its forms, nor is its property uniform in all isomers ... rather widely different, neither is it a new technology by means of carbon.... if adding coal dust changed property they would have done long back... and didn't need esn's latest porous sponge, which esn is selling to all tt equipment manufacturers in different colors... xiom can order black and talk about carbon sponge or donic can order yellow and call it sulphur sponge....

also from history, if there is a new esn technology all companies would get same generations of rubbers .... and german companies actually get this faster.... followed by others like xiom or palio or yasaka.

xiom definitely made a smart marketing move by launching 3 rubbers instead of one using the same generation of esn porous sponge... and andro donic and tibhar's marketing managers are biting their hand on whether they can save their jobs.

wait for 2 months before vega asia and vega euro users starts cribbing about spots and loss of traction. vega pro with all natural rubber top would prolly be 5-6 months like all natural rubber top hexer.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 17:42 

debraj wrote:
"
"

at least that's what xiom wants you and many other non-materials engineers playing table tennis to think.

neither carbon is black in all its forms, nor is its property uniform in all isomers ... rather widely different, neither is it a new technology by means of carbon.... if adding coal dust changed property they would have done long back... and didn't need esn's latest porous sponge, which esn is selling to all tt equipment manufacturers in different colors... xiom can order black and talk about carbon sponge or donic can order yellow and call it sulphur sponge....

also from history, if there is a new esn technology all companies would get same generations of rubbers .... and german companies actually get this faster.... followed by others like xiom or palio or yasaka.

xiom definitely made a smart marketing move by launching 3 rubbers instead of one using the same generation of esn porous sponge... and andro donic and tibhar's marketing managers are biting their hand on whether they can save their jobs.

wait for 2 months before vega asia and vega euro users starts cribbing about spots and loss of traction. vega pro with all natural rubber top would prolly be 5-6 months like all natural rubber top hexer.

Thanks for the clarification, although I'm not sure why your tone is so frequently condescending. I'm not a materials engineer, as you said, nor are probably 98% of people playing TT, so please forgive me if I'm not familiar with all the properties of carbon isomers. I never claimed they sprinkled coal dust in the sponge, but rather I simply assumed that it was possible that carbon had something to do with it since it is called a carbo sponge and is black--like most of the coal that most people would be familiar with.

I'm not a chemist; just trying to fumble through understanding this rubber like most other non-chemist tt players. Please forgive if I infer beyond the available data.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 17:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think he's having a go at the manufacturers for the 'creative marketing' Anton, not you. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next