OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 04:44 
Super User

Ah... Gosh!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 04:46 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
No Speedplay, you are not the last person on the planet to have tried this rubber. I have still not given it a go, and what is more, I might never do so since I am quite happy with the rubbers I am using at the moment. The only way I might try it is if someone at the club gets one and I will have a hit with their blade if I feel like it.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 05:02 

Speedplay you've run in to the Butterfly rubber reality distortion effect where endless zombies pick up a sheet of Tenergy and blindly praise it because Timo Boll plays it and so it must be amazing. Good to see you are not effected.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 06:05 
Super User

@ thaidog

generalizations should be backed up correctly with facts.

Not just timo boll but wide variety of local, regional and national tourney players, and many of them winners; play Tenergy.

While it is definitely not one tablet solution for all styles, like mine; if i went on ignoring the strength of the rubber and be judgmental about everyone other than myself.....i would make me sound stupid.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 06:47 
Super User

What is happening here ?

Most og the new rubbers needs extra glue due to the new "Tenergy like sponge" which absorbs a lot of glue.
such as : Donic Baracuda and Explode.

I can understand that some people think that Butterfly equipment is expensive but they are of great quality.
The idea with tenergy is a rubber that can loop and loop and loop |-) until you fall asleep.
This rubber is quite different than most "crappy" tensors.
It does not have this soft sponge which make tensors fast in the short game and button out at full speed.

The spring sponge together with the top sheet does not feel hard but is quite hard.
No rubber can create spin on opening loops like Tenergy 05.
Most good players all over the world use soem kind og tenergy rubber, not just the sponsored players but almost every talented players in most of the world.

You just have to understand that Tenergy is another kind of rubbers than the tensors you have used.
It perform best at full strokes, which is why most players use it on the forehand.

I guarantee that most defenders hate to play against it, because the attackers can just keep looping untill the defender has to give up.

In the short game it does not react before some speed in added, this is one of its strong points..
Some players does not like this, they want a soft tensor with no control in the short game :devil:
You will experience that flicks will become much better than before.

Loops with Tenergy 05 has an very unpleasant arch when it hits the end of the table and the arch is higher and more difficult to block(of course you can alter this by closing the racket)

Give it some time and try to understand the rubber, you will be much better at fh loops and improve your game..

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 07:38 

debraj wrote:
@ thaidog

generalizations should be backed up correctly with facts.

Not just timo boll but wide variety of local, regional and national tourney players, and many of them winners; play Tenergy.

While it is definitely not one tablet solution for all styles, like mine; if i went on ignoring the strength of the rubber and be judgmental about everyone other than myself.....i would make me sound stupid.

Well I would say that it is indeed a fact that if you ran a double blind test with a rubber that looked just like Tenergy, red spring sponge.. etc, and you told people it was Tenergy there would be people who would automatically start praising it and saying it's amazing... and that's all due to marketing... Timo Boll and every other player who is sponsored by Butterfly legitimately or under the table. Meanwhile Tenergy that Timo gets just like most top player's blades are custom versions of the product that may be completely different... kind of like WLQ putting a DHS handle on a Stiga. I've played with Tenergy, and it's a good rubber but I don't have wet dreams about how amazingly different it is... and maybe if I played with it and my rating suddenly went up 500 points I'd understand. But Keebler Elves don't bake cookies in a tree and there is nothing earth shattering about Tenergy or Spring Sponge either. If there was it would be patented... but there is no patent and other companies can reverse engineer anything that is produced. Thus for me it boils down to marketing. Either you believe the hype or you don't.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 08:29 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Just remember this is Speedplay initial impression. I don't mean to insult Speedplay but how can we judge Tenergy, a rubber which is supposed to be both spinny and fast, based on his initial review? After all, he is a master of ANTI spin. And with that, his playing style could well instiinctively be to slow down the ball or kill the spin. That is why he is not getting enough spin or speed :P :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 08:36 
I am Legend
I am Legend

speedplay wrote:
I've finally tried the T 05, feels like I'm the last person on the planet to do it :embarrassed:

Usually, one session is all it takes for me before I can write a review of a rubber, as I can feel/see the potential it has. Now, T 05 is the exception to this rule, which is why this isn't a review, but only my initial impressions of it. Also, I didn't use it for an entire session, more like 30 minutes or so.

not the last, but maybe close to. haha.

speedplay wrote:
First thing about it, the look. Nothing fancy at all, compared to the cool packaging of Roxon, it actually looked cheap, which we all know it isn't. Others then that, the rubber looked to be of good quality, as always with BTY stuff. Felt very firm.

Haha. All butterfly rubbers have exactly the same package, plastic, green protector sheet. The only difference is the cardboard. Not fancy, but consistent!

speedplay wrote:
First problem appeared when I was going to attach it to my blade, it simple wouldn't stick! I know, I still use VOC glue which shouldn't be used for Tenergy or Tensors, but I've never experienced any problems with other rubbers. It's not like I soak them with it, but a very thin layer on the sponge and a thin layer on the blade, but Tenergy curled up around the edges.

No idea. I've never tried sticking it down with regular glue.

speedplay wrote:
So, bringing my bat to the table, with high expectations! First thing I noticed, HOLY CRAP THIS IS HEAVY!!! Almost felt like developing a two handed bh stroke...

yeah, it is pretty heavy. Probably why I switched to 75g blades.

speedplay wrote:
Spin, the thing every one have praised. Might be that it needs to be broken in first, cause it didn't impress me. About the same level on spin as R 450 on serves and short game, but definitely not more, rather a little less.

Spin on loops, not even close to the spin I can generate with R 450, but this could be to the extremely heavy set up, decreasing my hand speed. So, I'm not going to judge it by this just yet, but so far, I'm not impressed.

One thing you have to realise with T05 is that like most harder rubbers, unless you have the hand speed you won't be able to get the ball into the sponge, unlike med hardness tensors. If you can't get the ball into the sponge, you won't get the spin.

With regards to looping, part of the reason it's touted as spinny is the high throw and the grip. Since it's so high, you can close the blade even further and hit harder than normal without ball just dropping off the rubber, as most of the tensors do.

speedplay wrote:
Speed, HELLO! this is supposed to be a speed glue replacement rubber! Then why isn't there any speed? Sure, it is possible to hit fast with it, but with Tensors, you can feel the speed the rubber gives you, but this was not the case with T 05, if I wanted speed, I had to generate it all by my self and there was no reward for half hearted efforts. On full blown strokes, the speed could come close to the speed of Roxon 450, but on every other stroke, the speed was way less then that of R 450. It certainly didn't have a glue feel to it. In fact the rubber that came to my mind when I used it was the Globe 999 National version, hard, dead and all the spin comes from the top sheet. So, Haggisv, if you haven't tried it, you should really consider giving it a go as this might be the replacement for your glued up Globe 999 National.

T05 is one of those rubbers that kick outwards on an angle far faster than directly. But other than that yes, it's not as fast as many tensors out there. I think Rob's been saying this ever since it came out...

speedplay wrote:
So, this far, the T 05 have been a major disappointment, almost as disappointing as the Outlaw, but I will give it more time, cause surely there must be a reason for all it's praise? But, the review will have to wait until I've used it for a couple of sessions and when I have, I hope to come back with a review where I tell you all how the rubbers performance have blown me away, but at the moment, it doesn't feel very likely.

You know, despite how vega pro is supposed to be the 'new mark v', i think the tenergies are a lot more 'classic' than those are still. I've got two gripes with T05 still - it doesn't 'back off' (as in play slower strokes) as well as the tensors (in fact it's almost difficult, uncomfortable, etc), but I'm guessing I'd still be having this problem if i used a tensor with an equivalent hardness sponge. The second gripe is after you've used it for a period and adjusted, when you switch back to other rubbers, deficiencies in the other rubbers tend to be blatantly obvious, sometimes making it difficult to readjust. Boz has had this problem too.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 08:49 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

speedplay wrote:
Silver, you are scaring me here, I sure do hope I won't have to much problem going back to Roxon 450 again after I've given the T 05 a more substantial test.

Quote:
One thing you have to realise with T05 is that like most harder rubbers, unless you have the hand speed you won't be able to get the ball into the sponge, unlike med hardness tensors. If you can't get the ball into the sponge, you won't get the spin.

This could be the reason I wasn't impressed with it's spin, because the weight of my set up made it really hard to get good hand speed. I'm using a Wavestone at 96g, hollow handle, so the head was heavy even before I put the T 05 on it...

Yep, the weight might be affecting your impression.

Finish up your tourney first before you blame us for your bad performance. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 09:01 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Speedplay, cut your losses and send me the T05 NOW. I LIKE heavy outfits. I will get the speed and spin out of it. I get it out of Outlaw. I need T05 for this upcoming humid Korean summer. Outlaw sucks in humidity, T05 keeps on doing its thing in humidity.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 09:35 

speedplay wrote:
Speedy Wobbler, believe me, I will give the T 05 more chances to prove it's value to me, but it wasn't the mind blowing experience some of you guys have mentioned.

:lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 09:49 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Actually I've noticed that too. T05 seems to work far better in humidity than others.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 10:04 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Ok I am at a crossroads now, especially after Reading some of the reviews posted by people who have more experience with the rubber. I must say the biggest factor that now calls me is what many said that we need to work this rubber and angled strokes get the most out of it. That would work well for me since I am a very active player in this regard. I don't play passive strokes a lot rather I try to get as much as I can out of it. But I have two worries and if you guys can tell me how to handle them, I will get two sheets.
One is the short pusing game and punc blocks. Will have a problem in that area with this rubber. The short game is a huge part of my tactics.
And second I play close to the table going no more than six to seven feet away if at all. Will that be a problem for me?
What blades does it work best with, hard, soft, stiff? And would it work with one ply blades at all? My choices would be from Nittaku Violin, Nittaku Wolfeed g carbon, Bty Yoshida Kaii, Galaxy M6, American Hinoki Lutz Spruce one ply, Darker Speed 90 10mm.
Ok that is three questions but I appreciate the advice.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 11:28 

Ranger-man wrote:
Ok I am at a crossroads now, especially after Reading some of the reviews posted by people who have more experience with the rubber. I must say the biggest factor that now calls me is what many said that we need to work this rubber and angled strokes get the most out of it. That would work well for me since I am a very active player in this regard. I don't play passive strokes a lot rather I try to get as much as I can out of it. But I have two worries and if you guys can tell me how to handle them, I will get two sheets.
One is the short pusing game and punc blocks. Will have a problem in that area with this rubber. The short game is a huge part of my tactics.
And second I play close to the table going no more than six to seven feet away if at all. Will that be a problem for me?
What blades does it work best with, hard, soft, stiff? And would it work with one ply blades at all? My choices would be from Nittaku Violin, Nittaku Wolfeed g carbon, Bty Yoshida Kaii, Galaxy M6, American Hinoki Lutz Spruce one ply, Darker Speed 90 10mm.

Tenergy has a pretty reactive topsheet so it generates a lot of spin. It is good for looping but maybe a little hard sometimes to control in the short game. If you are more of a counter driver you might want to go with some 1.9mm sheets in my opinion. That would be better for hitting and blocking.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 11:36 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

thaidog wrote:
Ranger-man wrote:

Yes I am a counter-driver and I love looping underspin and chops. Won't 1.9 tend to bottom out on hard smashes. Or willthe harde sponge not le that happen.

Tenergy has a pretty reactive topsheet so it generates a lot of spin. It is good for looping but maybe a little hard sometimes to control in the short game. If you are more of a counter driver you might want to go with some 1.9mm sheets in my opinion. That would be better for hitting and blocking.