OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 07:21 

The search for the perfect forehand rubber continues. We continue to shell out our hard earned cash as we continue to try out improved version after improved version hoping to find a rubber that can match what used to be our perfect combo (before Adham, of course)
I must admit that I have been eagerly awaiting this the latest, greatest FD3 as the manufacturers Donic have been saying all the right things.
Improved rebound (yes we need that)
Improved durability (Indeedy we do!)
Imagine all that plus better dwell time and more speed (Yahmon das the real big ting dere!)
But you know, especially in the table tennis world, there's often a big gap between what is promised and what is delivered so out of a sense of duty to all, i have decided to test the new beast and share with all my beloved forum buddies (Yes, this includes you too boz)
I will also be testing the Acuda S1, Gold X1 and Coppa Speed in medium soft sponge all while I am still in training for a couple of overseas arrangements.
So watch this space over the next coupe of days while I take you guys for a passenger seat view of Donics new Ferrari.

Petermoo
(The reviewers reviewer)
AKA (The last Dragon)
AKA (The Silver Fox)

petermoo.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 08:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Looking forwards to it petermoo!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 12:25 

OK so I unwrapped my red max sheet and the first thing I observed was the colour of the Platin X1 was a bit dull not as shiny as its Japanese cousin Coppa Speed but a little more brilliant than reg Platin.
The smell was very muted , very plasticy unlike the pungent stench of Jap made Donics like Coppa and Coppa Speed.
The new sponge, which is said to be porous al la Tenergy and Baracuda is a little rough but nowhere as rough as the aforementioned rubbers. To tell the truth, its a little in between.
Now Donic is advertising this rubber as med+ which puts it directly in line with Coppa Speed which I found a bit too hard but out of the package I have to disagree. This rubber feels softer than that, medium and probably med- to my touch.
Certainly the topsheet is softer than the old Platin topsheet probably as soft as JO Gold. Maybe the sponge is medium+ but the combination of topsheet and sponge for sure is softer than regular Platin.
I didnt get to play for long with this rubber today as I injured my back so I'm just going to give my initial impressions and maybe when I get back I will give a summary and more detailed review and analysis.
The weight of the Platin was average so i was pleased with the overall balance of my bat (I dont like heavy rubbers)
FH counterhit was really nice because of the bouncyness of sheet, better than gold for sure good speed minimum effort natural glued up Bryce FX or glued up Hammond good feel with a rich solid linear feel.
FH Blocks were easy as a breeze, no surprise reactions from the rubber very predictable and controllable without me having to force the block (Platin) or ease off on the block (Coppa Speed), the natural rebound of the rubber made it a very easy blocking rubber.
The drives against the block were pretty spinny and fast but did not have the penetration of Coppa Speed max. Donic gives both rubbers 10++ ratings but here I have to give Coppa Speed the edge.
Counterloop was very very controllable because of the topsheets foregivingness and bite, but I had to work harder at overpowering my opponent unlike with Coppa Speed which rules at that distance in the power department but certainly does not have the control of the Platin X1.
My serves were certainly more effective , the rubber gives a great deal of bite while the sponge assists harmoniously for kick serves. My practice partner actually put quite a few of my serves off the table and in the bottom of the net and this is a guy who is used to my serves. So based on that I'd have to say Platin X1 rules in the service department.
Its too early to say how durable this rubber is going to be but I did not obsevre any ball marks and signs of wear and tear like when I am using JO Gold for even 15 minutes.
The most disappointing area of performance of Platin X1 was driving against heavy pushes. Coming from Coppa Speed s harder sponge I am in the habit of demolishing pushes with overwhelming power. Not so with the Platin X1. I had to use a more brushing action instead of blasting through the ball. The good part of that was that I produced so much topspin that not a single drive was blocked on the table!
The sound of the rubber was rich and rewarding, the overall feel was as close as I have come to the feeling of a properly glued up rubber. The catapult effect is definitely there even more so than say in T05 or T64 without the excessive high throw or the extra weight.
Sorry I couldnt be more extensive but I will probably say more when I have had another few sessions with it.
I'm very pleased with this rubber its a quantum leap over its immediate predecessor I have to give a two thumbs way up to Donic for this one.

Petermoo

AKA The golden boy

petermoo.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 18:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, sounds very promising indeed! I'm a bit surprised that is lacks power compared the Coppa speed though... I expected it to be faster.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 19:58 

haggisv wrote:
Wow, sounds very promising indeed! I'm a bit surprised that is lacks power compared the Coppa speed though... I expected it to be faster.

This is not to say it's not one of the most powerful rubbers I have ever tried. Just that, out of the box, the manufacturers posted a rating of 10++ which puts it as equal to Coppa Speed. All I'm saying really is that its not more powerful than Coppa Speed. Then again, I think Coppa Speed is the fastest rubber I have ever tried so second place isnt all that bad.
The amazing thing was that the control i had on little slow speed pushes and drop shots was way better than with coppa speed which mostly shines more in the high speed game but is more of a liability in the touch phase of the game.

Petermoo

petermoo.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 04:32 

Good review. More information please... :D

Bh :Juic Neo Anti 2.0 , black
Blade : Andro

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 15:32 

Great to hear about Donic's new Formula 3rd gen rubbers improving with there new X1's. Can I ask what blade you were using with the new rubbers? Keep the reviews coming :clap: , I am very interested to hear about these rubbers.
I was thinking of buying the Donic 'Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon' with the X1 Turbo Platin, (if you can) do you think that this blade would work well with the mentioned rubber? I was thinking buying a blade with good feel/control and relative power would suit a more fast and spinny rubber such as the X1 Turbo Platin.

Anyway thanks for the initial review and I hope you back gets better.

Myles

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 20:21 

I ordered 2 sheets for testing. It is international shipping, am hoping it will arrive in less than 2 weeks.

Will give feedback once I have it tested.....

UPDATE: I tested my newly arrived x1 turbo yesterday. If I try to recall, This is much better control than Gambler and it is also much faster.

A few players tried my x1 turbo and most of them who tested the tenergy series said that x1 turbo is better than tenergy because it can easily return the ball and better catapult effect. Half of them said that it is faster than tenergy and half said that tenergy is faster.