OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Tackiness D
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 17:35 

Hi everyone! Is somebody using tackiness D? What's your experiance about it? (please write what thickness, and what type of game do you play with)

Post subject: Re: Tackiness D
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 15:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
I tried tackiness D for about 15 outings. I think there are many better medium speed rubbers. It had a VERY high throw angle, and this made over the table smashes very hard to do. It was also heavy. It was nothing like tacki C. Tacki C is better for all shots, chop and topspin. Tacki C with a ALL+ blade is better than Tacki D with an ALL- blade. I play medium-to-close to the table and mix 50% topspin, 20% chop, 20% push and 10% block. Tacki D was the least enjoyable rubber I have ever tried.

I played with one of the Best players in Canada, he noticed the Tacki D high throw angle, and tried it. He said it was terrible.

I switched from 1.8 Tacki D (or maybe 1.7) to 1.5 Donic Coppa. (the ordinary Coppa that Waldner and Perrson used) (this was just 2 years ago)The Coppa was very good, and had a lower throw angle than Tacki D and more spin. Coppa grabs the ball with spin and still gives you control. But Coppa is not as good for chopping as Dr. Neubauer Domination. This rubber blows away Tacki D. It is a medium speed rubber (30-40% faster than Tacki C) with better control and spin than Tacki D and same control but better spin than Tacki C. Domination really grabs the ball with spin and still gives you control. Worth every penny.

Go to about.com, type in table tennis, do a search on domination or Dr. Neubauer Domination. Greg Letts and another guy, I think the best chopper in Australia, totally love Domination. I think that a chopper should stay away from Tenergy.
Domination gives superb control and feel to chops, and has way more pop than Tacki C.

Hope this helps!

Glenn

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:49 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

joo se hyuk uses tenergy 64 an' hes like a defensive chuck norris...but only out of skill.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 06:18 

I used Tackiness D many years ago and found it to be heavy, spinny, medium speed that played like some chinese rubbers. Much better choices available today other than Tackiness D. A rubber that should be retired from production.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 02:24 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

I've played with Tackiness D (red 2.1 mm on a Tibhar IV-S blade) in my forehand for at least 4 years now, and in my opinion it is a good allround rubber. I play a relatively offensive game, but I'm usually not the one to open the rally (I'm more of a blocker/counterattacker). I compete at a Belgian provincial level (1st provincial division, if that means anything to anyone here).

Relating to my style of play, the pros an cons of Tackiness D are IMO:

Pros
  • very controllable for blocking and pushing
  • relatively easy to put spin on serves
  • good rubber for hitting/aggressive blocking
  • possible to chop with, but not great (Tackiness C is a lot better suited to chopping, other rubbers as well as the above posters have mentioned)

Cons
  • Not very fast on loops (in general, people find TackinessD to be pretty slow)
  • fairly sensitive to opponents spin
  • not extremely spinny (the name Tackiness is a misnomer, these rubbers are not tacky, but they do grip quite well)
  • pretty expensive for a not-so-special rubber (butterfly products are not the cheapest in general)

So, in conclusion: if you want a controlling all-round rubber, Tackiness D can be a viable option. If, however, you want to be a looping powerhouse, there are much better options in terms of speed and spin. Also, for defensive play, you're better off with Tackiness C or other defensive rubbers (I'm thinking Domination, Tango def etc). That's my two cents.

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 06:18 

Nice post Jasper. Your observations are accurate concerning Tackiness D. Agree the price now is to high. For $14 bucks or so there are some great Chinese rubbers available with the same characteristics.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 20:13 
Super User

Frogger wrote:
I used Tackiness D many years ago and found it to be heavy, spinny, medium speed that played like some chinese rubbers. Much better choices available today other than Tackiness D. A rubber that should be retired from production.

I used Tackiness D years ago and totally agree with Frogger except I got more spin from MarK V and Shriver. The only thing more spinney for me was on serves.

Ian

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 20:00 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I've "always" used Tackiness Drive 2,2 (or was it 2,1...) on both sides, on a Stiga allround wood. It allows for a lot of variation in my play ("many gears" seems to be the term). The one thing I struggle most with is returning a short ball with lots of underspin. When pushing against chopper or short undercut serves, my return tends to go too high or too long all the time, opening up for a killer return (if it hits the table at all, that is). This problem may be connected to the high throw reported for both the rubber and the blade (requiring a very open racket angle, which allows little room for error).

I have switched to a different racket, which looks like it helps my game a lot. The old one is still bags of fun, though, so I'm not throwing it away any time soon.
I have been thinking a really rigid carbon blade may reduce dwell time, perhaps causing less "popping up" on my returns if I keep the Tacki-D rubbers. However, I'm soon pushing 50, and I guess the mere change to an OFF+ blade is not the best change I could do, so I decided on a complete makeover to compensate for my slowing down (also dragging ~110 kg, which does not speed me up a lot :lol: )

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 23:23 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Jasper wrote:
I've played with Tackiness D (red 2.1 mm on a Tibhar IV-S blade) in my forehand for at least 4 years now, and in my opinion it is a good allround rubber. I play a relatively offensive game, but I'm usually not the one to open the rally (I'm more of a blocker/counterattacker). I compete at a Belgian provincial level (1st provincial division, if that means anything to anyone here).

For a moment off topic: It says something to me, Jasper. For which club do you play?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 16:33 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
Tackiness Drive my FH rubber from 20+ years back. The all around play was quite good for me back then. I played with Sriver Killer on the BH and twiddled a lot waiting for a pop up on my serves and underspin pushes. It was good for loop spin kills over the table, these are mostly never returned. My serves were also quite spinny and my sidespin loops were a killer. I have the very same old rubber and it deteriorated somewhat to probably 50% of its capabilities 20 years ago. I tried to take it off the old hobby bat that I stuck it to, but the outer ply came off with the rubber. I tried to force separating rubber from ply but discontinued as it was tearing the sponge.

I replaced this with a brand new setup of Sriver L and Super Anti on a Stiga Active Master. The Sriver was flawless, things I can only dream on Tackiness Drive I realize I can do with Sriver. A bit expensive so I tried Transcend Cream on a 729 Red Spirit blade. Hah this setup is like a Sriver on steroids. . . my dream became a nightmare for my opponents! Oh and I still use the 20 year old Sriver Killer for BH on this setup. The 20 year old rubber still kicks ass. In the few weeks I have had this setup, my game improved more than several years I've been using the old gear.

Recommendations: I would shy away from Tackiness Drive if I have the money to buy Sriver, with a lesser budget I would get Transcend Cream. With all due respect, all in my humble opinion; my level would be a little above the beginner and maybe a bit lower than intermediate. All said for whatever its worth

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 02:00 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
Yeah......tac d is a little lame, comparing to other more modern gear now. However, quality superb. And to be fair good control. All-round play is excellent. I've a 1.5mm red version. I also own a tac c in black 1.9mm, a very soft rubber. Honestly, both versions don't sing out to me, but then I think I prefer harder sponges and some of the Chinese rubbers.
To summarize both versions great quality and seem long lasting....something lacking in a lot of these new rubbers.