OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 21:09 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
dunc wrote:
I love T80. Works much better for my forehand than T05, that's for sure. Haven't tried T64 though.

T64 feels a tad softer, but is much faster. The close to the table game is hard to execute precisely. That's with my hands, though.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 03:15 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
strongpong wrote:
Yep..................common scenario with Tenergy rubbers.

& Yep................when they were first released they were heavier and played as new for ages (my first set went strong for 9 months)

I've tried several products to restore them to their as-new playing characteristics and the best results I have gotten as follows-

- use new sheet for 3 weeks (untreated)
- remove old glue
- apply 1 very thin layer of Falco Tempo Long Booster (I 'measure' the quantity by pulling the brush out of the liquid and letting it run freely off the brush back into the container. Once it stops running as a stream and starts to drip, I then apply)
- leave overnight
- glue back on

DONE

Easy as that. I have found that a small amount of booster gets you close to the original factory tuning. If you use a shorter duration booster the effect dissapears quite quickly because so little booster is applied. Hence the long life stuff will last a month or so with the small amount applied.

If I am playing regularly then this amount of tinkering is acceptable.

I have tried water based boosters and they all had the same negative effect in the end - that is that the sponge after 1 boost looses it's eleasticity. After 2 boostings the sponge becomes extremely hard and brittle. You can expect to throw it in the bin after 1 boost with water based boosters. I get 3 boostings with oil based if I'm careful with glue removal. I'm sure there are other suitable oil based products on the market, but this is what I have settled on.

Tenergy needs the good oil man!

I have yet to try this, but I think I will! Thanks very much, strongpong.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 13:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dunc, T80 would be a lot better than T05 for a modern defender I would think -- although I have to say that I have only tried them in 2.1 mm, so maybe it would be different in the thicknesses you like. That could make a difference.

My experience with T64 is exactly like what Lorre just described.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 10:18 
Super Looper
Super Looper

T 80 is a very short living rubber,after 3 months speed dropped as well spin to. Top sheet color losses its shine and looks like was used for year or so.Pretty much same as donic baracuda. Disappointing considering the price of rubber.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 22:37 
Joo Too
Joo Too

purger wrote:
T 80 is a very short living rubber,after 3 months speed dropped as well spin to. Top sheet color losses its shine and looks like was used for year or so.Pretty much same as donic baracuda. Disappointing considering the price of rubber.

I don't think there's a new-era rubber that doesn't lose speed and spin after three months. I've used it for four months. It shone like a new one after four months of use.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 22:42 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

You're probably (and sadly) right Lorre. But at least the other modern generation rubbers aren't £52 per sheet.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 23:11 
Joo Too
Joo Too

dunc wrote:
You're probably (and sadly) right Lorre. But at least the other modern generation rubbers aren't £52 per sheet.

True. But they don't feel like a Tenergy either. :(

Besides, you need to think outside the box here: Butterfly only released a couple of series of new-era rubbers, the most prominent the Tenergy series. They do not significantly add other rubbers and about these new rubbers they don't say these are better then their Tenergy series. Other brands release three generations a year, the newest one (presumably?) better than the previous one. I know a lot of players who try these new rubbers, even if they're playing with the previous generation for rubbers. But this is another market strategy: you make a rubber that isn't the best, but comes close to Tenergy (this rubber is the current benchmark)/freshly glued old-style rubber and every new generation you make it better, but it's never a Tenergy/freshly glued old-style rubber.

Now: I buy let's say three Tenergies a year. I, however, don't have a temptation to buy another rubber to replace my Tenergy: I already have the best (this is the general view). Other brand users buy with the same frequency (three/year), but they have a temptation to buy another rubber, even if their current rubbers aren't worn out, because they don't have the best or because their current rubbers don't approach the old freshly glued rubbers. Even if they only give in to this temptation once (they buy four/year instead of three/year), they spend the same amount of money to their rubbers or even more.

Butterfly = market strategy 1, a very direct one (you pay more, but you have quality)
Other brands = market strategy 2, an indirect one (you pay less than Butterfly users, but you want the same as Butterfly users, so if you want that, you pay, depending on the frequency you give in to the temptations we offer you, an equal amount of Butterfly users or [that's what they hope] more [because you have the feeling of control and you feel like you pay less than a Butterfly user].

The smartest users=those who stick with the rubber they feel comfortable with.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 23:35 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

That's a good point - I'd never thought about it that way. You're probably spot on.

There are loads of rubbers I'd like to try (Bluefire JP, Omega V Pro etc) but I doubt any would be better for my game than the T80. I can't afford to try them when I have to replace my T80 every 6-8 weeks though!

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 02:32 
Super User

I used a four month old Tenergy 25 last night that I had not used for around two months. So rubber had only had two months of use. I gave it a decent clean before using it. The trajectory was so flat compared to when I first bought it! Friend reckoned the rubber was dead. It wasn't the slowness more the lack of grip. Also noticed my Tenergy 05fx has lost a fair bit of grip resulting in a lower trajectory. These rubbers need to be well looked after. A sheet of contact after use may well be the answer. On a separate point i have found the 05fx is so much slower than the 05 or 64 but does offer a higher trajectory.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 09:18 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I thought I'd updated this post, but I haven't. So I shall now!

I ended up buying another sheet of T80. 1.9mm. I also bought Falco Long and used it to boost my old, dead T80 back to life.

I played with the old boosted version for some time and it worked quite nicely. Then, as it started to dull again, I put the new sheet of T80 on.

That worked well enough for about two months - up until a fortnight ago, when I noticed it gradually starting to deaden. I've tried to boost it again (albeit with the glue still on), but it only has a very temporary effect.

It's an odd sensation when it starts to "die". It's like the sweet spot on the rubber gets much, much smaller. If I hit the ball perfectly in the middle of the bat now I can still get the catapult and speed.. but anywhere else and it completely feels like I've mis-hit the ball. A month ago I was getting the lovely, crisp sensation of perfect contact on nearly every forehand. Can't replicate that now at all.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 11:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

The difference between tenergy and 729 general is 80 dollars. At three per year thats a whole tournament in Melbourne, travel both ways and a night in a luxury hotel :). Tenergy doesn't even make more spin, just feels more like jelly :)?.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 14:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I get a minimum of three months of use from T80 but I use it on my backhand.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 17:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dunc wrote:
That worked well enough for about two months - up until a fortnight ago, when I noticed it gradually starting to deaden. I've tried to boost it again (albeit with the glue still on), but it only has a very temporary effect.

That old glue may be the problem... it not only stops the booster from soaking into the sponge, it also adds a harder layer and small gaps (where it's uneven). I know it can be a pain to get the stuff off though.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 18:03 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

foam wrote:
The difference between tenergy and 729 general is 80 dollars. At three per year thats a whole tournament in Melbourne, travel both ways and a night in a luxury hotel :). Tenergy doesn't even make more spin, just feels more like jelly :)?.

Hah that isn't quite true though, is it... :)

haggisv wrote:
That old glue may be the problem... it not only stops the booster from soaking into the sponge, it also adds a harder layer and small gaps (where it's uneven). I know it can be a pain to get the stuff off though.

Aye, I did wonder about that. It appears to get through to the sponge after a few hours because it curls the rubber a small amount, but I suspect you're right about it creating a harder layer too. It is a major pain having to take the glue off though as it's nearly impossible to avoid pitting the rubber and it takes ages and a significant amount of effort :( I think I'll endeavour to take the glue off both of my rubbers over the weekend and reboost them from scratch anyway.

That obviously isn't the root of the initial problem though as both rubbers were unboosted completely before they "died".

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 18:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dunc wrote:
It is a major pain having to take the glue off though as it's nearly impossible to avoid pitting the rubber and it takes ages and a significant amount of effort :( I think I'll endeavour to take the glue off both of my rubbers over the weekend and reboost them from scratch anyway.

I've just started a new topic on how to best remove glue... hopefully we can make that job a little less painful. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next