OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Rakza Z vs Baracuda
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2023, 19:20 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
These two rubbers are the ones I like the most. However I am a little confused about which one should I pick.

People who have used both! Which do you think would be better in the long term regarding spin? I'm pretty much sure Baracuda would be faster, thus Rakza Z would be more controlled. But I seem unable to decide between spin. Which one would be spinnier in the long term? Could it be the Baracuda would give spin easier, while the Rakza Z would give even more spin a little harder? Something about durability?

Could you share with me your thoughts about this issue?

Thanks!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

Post subject: Re: Rakza Z vs Baracuda
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2023, 16:31 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I've used both rubbers before but it was a while ago. From memory Barracuda was softer with a higher arc, Razka Z has a harder sponge and a longer throw. Both are very spinny. Razka Z is probably faster on loops and drives. Barracuda will probably give more spin on softer shots but Razka will be better at drives once you engage the harder sponge. The main difference between the two rubbers is that Barracuda is a traditional tensor whereas Razka Z is a hybrid.

Both are good rubbers, Both will create a lot of spin. What you have to ask yourself is do you want a traditional tensor with a soft sponge and a high arc? or a newer hybrid rubber with a harder sponge but with a longer throw?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2023, 18:25 
Super User

Rob M wrote:
I've used both rubbers before but it was a while ago. From memory Barracuda was softer with a higher arc, Razka Z has a harder sponge and a longer throw. Both are very spinny. Razka Z is probably faster on loops and drives. Barracuda will probably give more spin on softer shots but Razka will be better at drives once you engage the harder sponge. The main difference between the two rubbers is that Barracuda is a traditional tensor whereas Razka Z is a hybrid.

Both are good rubbers, Both will create a lot of spin. What you have to ask yourself is do you want a traditional tensor with a soft sponge and a high arc? or a newer hybrid rubber with a harder sponge but with a longer throw?

Thanks for your input!

To be honest I am a little indecisive about what do I want. Both are really good rubbers, as you have mentioned. I have a spare blade of the one I am playing with and might put a Baracuda on it to test it at the same time, so I can get a good idea how the two actually plays. I myself have the same thoughts that Baracuda would give high spin on softer shots too, while the Rakza Z would give even higher spin when giving it a harder hit. Yes, it is matter of preferences. Actually, both feels the same to me, that is why I cannot decide (despite the difference in sponge hardness). I guess the testing will put an end to this issue.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2023, 19:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think the more direct comparison would be between Baracuda and Rakza 7. Rakza Z is a different sort of rubber altogether, being tacky.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2023, 20:27 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I think the more direct comparison would be between Baracuda and Rakza 7. Rakza Z is a different sort of rubber altogether, being tacky.

Iskandar

You are right! I am aware of the fact that both rubbers are very different kinds, given that the Baracuda is a 1st or 2nd generation tensor and the Rakza Z being a relatively new hybrid rubber. I have actually have not felt too much difference in speed or spin yet. This is what I want to find out, as I do not really know which one could fit me better. Maybe control is little higher with the Rakza Z.

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2023, 21:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To be honest - comparing rubbers isn't my forte. My opinion is that differences between inverted sandwich rubbers (which are not anti-spin) can be very subtle, and in the end don't make much difference when it comes to how many points you actually score in games. I don't find it surprising that you find the two rubbers to be similar. I can say I found one difference between Rakza Z and Bluegrip C2 (which a lot of people like to compare, since they're both supposedly tacky - Rakza Z is, but C2 isn't, to be honest, at least not to the same degree) - you have to hit the ball flatter with C2, while Rakza Z allows thinner contact brush-type strokes. If you try the same strokes with C2 the ball goes down into the net.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 02:12 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
To be honest - comparing rubbers isn't my forte. My opinion is that differences between inverted sandwich rubbers (which are not anti-spin) can be very subtle, and in the end don't make much difference when it comes to how many points you actually score in games. I don't find it surprising that you find the two rubbers to be similar. I can say I found one difference between Rakza Z and Bluegrip C2 (which a lot of people like to compare, since they're both supposedly tacky - Rakza Z is, but C2 isn't, to be honest, at least not to the same degree) - you have to hit the ball flatter with C2, while Rakza Z allows thinner contact brush-type strokes. If you try the same strokes with C2 the ball goes down into the net.

Iskandar

I am not sure if the hard, tacky hybrid or the soft, grippy tensor is my world. This is why I want to test both. Maybe there will not be too much difference, but I will definitely feel which one is more comfortable with me. I long have not played with the Baracuda, my memories is not that fresh, so will have to do a direct comparison.

If you have anything to add or advice, it is welcome!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 18:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Rakza z is faster/spinnier with a longer trajectory
Barracuda is higher throw bit too slow for me on Def blades
I boosted Barracuda which improved things but the effect didn't last and that was Falco long ×4layers
and the high throw angle was difficult to work with on Stiga allround classic.
Both rubbers work well on my outer carbon blade Victas quartet LFC,for me Rakza z had more wow factor.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 18:26 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Rakza z is faster/spinnier with a longer trajectory
Barracuda is higher throw bit too slow for me on Def blades
I boosted Barracuda which improved things but the effect didn't last and that was Falco long ×4layers
and the high throw angle was difficult to work with on Stiga allround classic.
Both rubbers work well on my outer carbon blade Victas quartet LFC,for me Rakza z had more wow factor.

Alright, that is good to hear! I cannot be bothered with boosting. I have always had enough power for any rubber not to need any kind of boosting.

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 18:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Boosting is generally done with Hurricane 3 and the like. Boosting already boosted rubbers like Baracuda would.. well, I don't know.. I just know the top players don't do it (nor do they use Baracuda, I guess - but I've never heard of them boosting Tenergy and the like). One reason to use it on Baracuda and other similar rubbers is when the factory boosting wears off - I suppose it would extend the useful life of the rubber. I find, though, after 2 or 3 times doing this, the topsheet will have given up the ghost and will look pretty grotty besides having lost a lot of its friction.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 19:35 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Boosting is generally done with Hurricane 3 and the like. Boosting already boosted rubbers like Baracuda would.. well, I don't know.. I just know the top players don't do it (nor do they use Baracuda, I guess - but I've never heard of them boosting Tenergy and the like). One reason to use it on Baracuda and other similar rubbers is when the factory boosting wears off - I suppose it would extend the useful life of the rubber. I find, though, after 2 or 3 times doing this, the topsheet will have given up the ghost and will look pretty grotty besides having lost a lot of its friction.

Iskandar

Yes, the boosting on its own is quite problematic. I did not actually feel too much boosting in my Baracudas, but what I have felt was the difference in the grip of the topsheet, one was even tacky, some other was almost like any other average rubber, not as a grippy as the Baracuda originally should be. I must however mention that I have only played with blue Baracuda, so this might not be the case with the black or the red one.
In the case of the Rakza Z, I could detect the factory boosting, as the rubber turned upside-down was curled up a little, but not too much.

I also have the idea the nor the Rakza Z or the Baracuda need boosting, their speed and spin are just fine and no need for boosting, unless your strokes are those lazy, half strokes and use only your arm. I try to use my body as much as I can, so it gives me extra power.

May I know what is your setup?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2023, 10:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sanwei M8 blade, Bluegrip C2 forehand, Sanwei T88 Taiji backhand. I've been working through the "expensive" rubbers - I've tried almost all of the Rakzas, Evolution MX-P, two or three of the Rasants, even Tenergy 05, trying to find that magic rubber that gives me an extra 50 ratings points, or that is too fast or too spinny for me to control. So far, I've found neither.. :lol: Since they cost so much, I don't ditch them until they get so old they've lost their grip (in the past I've boosted them when they start to feel dead). This is how I've come to the conclusion that rubbers make little difference in the end. They may be a little slower or a little faster, they may feel slightly different, you have to adjust to them (which isn't too difficult), but in the end you win or lose just as much. Yeah, I've tried many of the Chinese $5 and $10 sheets, too - same comment there. There are outliers - Hurricane 3 is too slow, and Ckylin is so slow it's unusable.

Thinking about what to try next on the "expensive" side. Forget Dignics. I might actually go back to Rakza Z.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2023, 23:18 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Sanwei M8 blade, Bluegrip C2 forehand, Sanwei T88 Taiji backhand. I've been working through the "expensive" rubbers - I've tried almost all of the Rakzas, Evolution MX-P, two or three of the Rasants, even Tenergy 05, trying to find that magic rubber that gives me an extra 50 ratings points, or that is too fast or too spinny for me to control. So far, I've found neither.. :lol: Since they cost so much, I don't ditch them until they get so old they've lost their grip (in the past I've boosted them when they start to feel dead). This is how I've come to the conclusion that rubbers make little difference in the end. They may be a little slower or a little faster, they may feel slightly different, you have to adjust to them (which isn't too difficult), but in the end you win or lose just as much. Yeah, I've tried many of the Chinese $5 and $10 sheets, too - same comment there. There are outliers - Hurricane 3 is too slow, and Ckylin is so slow it's unusable.

Thinking about what to try next on the "expensive" side. Forget Dignics. I might actually go back to Rakza Z.

Iskandar

Good luck with that! The Rakza Z might be a good choice, I believe. The Dignics09c is something I wanted to try out, but I am not spending $100 on something I can get for $45. I think I will just set with the Rakza Z, I like it. No need for change if I like something that is working just fine, is not that just the truth?

You have mentioned "...too fast or too spinny for me to control...". I am pretty sure a rubber can be too fast or bouncy, that is okay. However, is there such rubber as "too spinny"? Is the spin capability or grip ever enough in a rubber? I have actually been thinking about this for a while now. What does "too spinny" mean for you? Nothing offensive, really, I am just curious about this phrase of yours.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 18:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

"Too spinny" would be something where it reacts too much to incoming spin. Have I come across incoming spin that's too much to handle? Yes, of course. But the lack of control wasn't due to the rubber I was using, it was because the person who produced the spin was able to put more spin on the ball than I was able to compensate for, and was able to disguise the spin so I wasn't able to read it. This usually happens with serve returns against really good players - case in point being returning Brett Clarke's serves. I wasn't able to return ANY of his serves, but the rubber I was using didn't matter. Does a rubber exist that reacts so much to incoming spin that I can't use it against players of my own level, or even players above my level, where changing to a different rubber would help? I don't think so. At least I haven't found it yet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 19:50 
Super User

This is unfortunately the curse of very spinny rubbers, their sensitivity to incoming spin. Of course, in this case of the European style tensor rubber, the stituation is different with the Chinese style tacky rubbers or the hybrid ones. For example, my Rakza Z is highly spinny, but also highly sensitive to spin, despite the tacky topsheet. It definitely takes some energy out of the ball, as sometimes I detected during training. It might even produce funky balls because of the topsheet, sometimes my training partners would comment on that. The ball would be so empty their rubber does not grip the ball.