OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Rakza Z vs Baracuda
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 20:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Looking for a rubber that produces lots of spin but doesn't react to spin is, I think, a fool's errand. What makes a rubber able to produce spin is the same thing that makes it react to spin. In any case, especially in this regard, the differences between rubbers are minor and subtle. I remember someone posting that Rakza 7 produced twice as much spin as Rakza 9 - I've tried both, perhaps you could convince me that Rakza 7 produces more spin than Rakza 9, but twice as much???? Unless someone produces high speed video demonstrating this, I'd find this hard to believe.

In any case... learning to handle spin is part of learning to play table tennis. If you need to find something that doesn't react to spin, you'd end up with anti or long pips, and going to something like that just because you haven't figured out how to handle spin with regular inverted rubbers is a bad mistake, especially if you're just starting. There are definitely reasons to use anti or long pips, and some of them involve controlling incoming spin, but doing it because you haven't learned how to do it yet with inverted rubbers is bad since these rubbers have their own weaknesses.

And what I'm saying is that, even with the likes of Evolution MX-P (which actually warns you on the packet that it's ONLY meant to be used by expert players, which I am not.. :lol: ) and Tenergy 05, I haven't found them to be unusable due to excessive speed OR spin. In fact, I found them as easy (or as hard) to use as much "lesser" rubbers. Mind you, if I were using a OFF++ carbon blade I might have come to a different conclusion.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 21:28 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
I myself am facing difficulties controlling spin. I actually turned to the anti and played with that for a few months, but I stopped that. I started thinking it is not me, this is not my style. Might have been a pretty suitable style for me, but I was missing the attacking shots and quick rallies. I reverted back to the inverted and decided to learn playing with that. Now I am developing some feeling for that, especially considering the fact I have found my perfect setup that suits me just fine.
To be honest, I feel much better since I stopped playing with the anti, I am playing more actively and lively. Was a fun thing to try out, but not the best way to hide the weaknesses, yet. You are right in that matter, no matter how some weaknesses were hidden, came then the new weaknesses. So it was a pretty bad trade-off in this regard.

Have you everd used pimples or anti yourself?

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2023, 15:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Mind you, if you've been playing for five or six years, have had coaching, and are still having trouble, say, returning serves, THEN maybe going to anti or long pips would be a logical decision. It might very well be that by that time you play well enough that your opponents are at a very high level and can produce more spin than you can figure out how to handle. But I've seen beginners post here saying that they can't figure out spin, so should they go to anti or long pips? At that stage, not being able to figure out spin is normal, it takes some practice and coaching (and maybe watching YouTube videos.. :lol: ) to learn. Give a someone off the street (who has never played before) a racket with two sheets of inverted rubber, and I guarantee they wouldn't be able to return ANYTHING with the slightest bit of spin on it. Even if you're trying to give them balls with no spin, they still will not get anything back. This happened to me when they set up a table at a shopping mall. Next time that happens I'll bring a pair of hard bats.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2023, 18:50 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
The problem is that at my club I receive no proper coaching. There is one guy who I usually warm-up or doing drills with. Nothing extraordinary, just a little bit of looping, counterlooping, driving, blocking. The problem is that everybody in that club wants to play matches, no is willing to take their time to train anybody with proper coaching and drills, like multiballing, serve-receive, footwork, etc. Also the club does not have any actual coach. Basically everything I know is thanks to myself and a little to that guy.
The serve-receive is an area of difficulty for me, like for most other players. Some even regard it is the hardest skill to master in table tennis, which seems logical to be honest.

I have been playing since April 2022, not too long. I have some progresson whatsoever. However I still have a whole lot of room for improvement. I have no effective serve, uncertain serve receive, I keep missing the ball, inappropriate backhand technique. At least I have found my adequat setup with I can train comfortably with and I like. I kept changing my equipment for very long, I was an Equipment Junkie, that is right. I tried hard to leave this bad habit of mine and I feel I finally managed to do so.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender