OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 05 May 2024, 12:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gambler outlaw
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 16:29 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Got my Outlaws today. Judging from Snappy's comparison to the Tenergy, I am excited as well. Though I love the Tenergy very much, likewise, I am more a drive rather than loop player. But I also need more control. So if the Outlaw has anywhere near the feel of Tenergy plus better control, then I probably found my perfect FH rubber and so much cheaper too.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 08:33 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

speedplay, roxon doesn't have the spin on the loop that i tend to like which i got from tenergy 05. tenergy 05 has a huge spin capability, and my loops are generally pretty heavy.

and i've got outlaw on carbon - i've tried roxon 450 on carbon before and on flat hitting, it doesnt come off as fast. on looping they are fairly similar - but any sort of drive and outlaw is the fastest i've used since hurricane glued up a long time ago.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 12:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
SHFS you really are pushing my limits here now. I thought Roxon was very fast off my carbon Gergely, and you are saying Gambler is even faster? I don't loop so much as drive and as Choi said Gambler may just be a perfect FH rubber if it does this better than Tenergy. If it does it better than Roxon as well, then I think I better order another 10 sheets (oooh I just heard my credit card wince) as I can't imagine anything sounding better at its price, or any price. I just wonder if Gambler is going to be one of those rubbers that works better on certain blades and not so well on others. Does anyone have any comment here?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 12:51 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I just wonder if Gambler is going to be one of those rubbers that works better on certain blades and not so well on others. Does anyone have any comment here?

I didn't care for Outlaw on a stiff carbon blade, but I always loop with heavy spin. It still spins well on carbon but I prefer more dwell. Even on a flexible blade Outlaw is great for drives /flat hits.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 14:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

That makes sense if you're a looper rather than a hitter Dan. You're looking for max dwell. It sounds like Gambler works well looping or hitting. So I guess I might find it suitable on a stiffer or more flexible blade. I'm tossing up thinking of putting it on the Hurricane King, Cayman or W6 to try. It sounds like it may be at hime on any of them. Thanks for your input. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 15:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I'm using it on a very stiff blade with soft outer wood and it works well. After playing with Outlaw for the first time in my clubs' weekly RR I'll amend my previous call on its throw angle.. it's higher than Express Two but still not in Tenergy 05 country. It's fantastic for blasting drives from off the table, but my short flick game was a bit off tonight with too many over the table loops going long that E2 would have nailed. Serves me right for entering the RR with a setup I glued up on the way out the door! I went 2-2 but should have gone 3-1.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:41 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

OK, my new setup is just completed. It is a Yinhe T2 Carbon cpen blade. FH: Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm Black and BH: 729 563 Mystery I 1.8mm Red mp :D Funny enough, I am just as excited to see how this mp works on the carbon blade as much as the OUtlaw :bom:

I will give it a real whirl tomorrow afternoon and then we shall see what this Outlaw is made of. Would it be of a Jesse James or Pink Panther category :?: :P

Cheers.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 17:07 
Super User

Just got back from my third session at the club using Outlaw. My coach commented a number of times during our drills about how nice and spinny my shots were. I am certainly very pleased with how much more spinny the rubber is than was Venus.

Another thing that I noticed during our drills was that the nice click that Outlaw gives you when you hit the ball is an excellent way of gauging how well you are looping the ball versus hitting the ball. If you really hit through the ball the click is nice and loud. If you manage to brush your loop and turn it into mostly friction and very little speed you get no sound at all. The click is almost linear in its feedback! I am finding it an excellent gauge in judging how well I am looping versus hitting the ball. As someone who is guilty of swing through the ball a bit too much, this rubber is not only excellent at both hitting and looping but is a formidable training tool for learning how to do one or the other well!

Saviga V 0.6

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 17:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

fattchoi wrote:
OK, my new setup is just completed. It is a Yinhe T2 Carbon cpen blade. FH: Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm Black and BH: 729 563 Mystery I 1.8mm Red mp :D Funny enough, I am just as excited to see how this mp works on the carbon blade as much as the OUtlaw :bom:
Cheers.

Choi seems like a "very" cheap setup to what you are used to, it will be interesting to hear how it feels to you overall. I think the T2 is one of the nicest Galaxy blades I've used. Could be a great combo with the Gambler and even the 563 I think. I've not used my T2 a whole lot, but enough to know its got enough behind it to support what you're trying out. If it was the only blade I had *cough* I could make do with it I'm sure. :wink:

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 17:37 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Reb, now that you mentioned it, this is indeed my cheapest set-up :D

Glueless, the Lawless...err...sorry...I mean Outlaw sounds very promising. Can't wait to have a real hit with it tomorrow :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 19:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

You know Choi, I've just realised I could actually put together the EXACT same setup as you have there. :shock:

So I will be very keen to hear how it goes. I might have to replicate it. I was thinking of selling the T2 but maybe it will get a reprieve lol.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 21:08 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Reb, that would be really interesting indeed. I will certainly give my thought after I give it a good hitup tomorrow :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 16:18 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Just got back from a 3 hours session with the Outlaw. The sheet I am using is 2.2mm BLACK on the T2 carbon blade. In the past, I always find the Tenergy 2.1mm too fast and rather uncontrollable for me. So based on that, I was quite worried that this 2.2mm Outlaw might give me the same problem. As it turned out, I find this rubber being able to do what Tenergy can do but with good control. This is great. The throw is definitely lower than Tenergy. I can loop and drive from more than 2m away from the table and still control the ball to where I want it to go. Drive smashing ball over the table is great as well. However, I still think Tenergy is a faster rubber. Having said that, the speed one can get from the Outlaw is plenty enough.

It is certainly less spinnier than the Tenergy. I have to impart a lot more wristy action to create a bit more spin but still no where near like the Tenergy.

Feel wise, I think it is a little bit softer than Tenergy 05 but harder than 64. So it is nice.

All in all, being 1/3 the price of a Tenergy, this rubber is certainly worth it. Its lack of spin would make this rubber very suitable for play against the lps. I will slap a piece on one of my favourite one-ply hinoki Jpen and see how it goes next week. :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 19:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Sounds good Choi. I didn't find T2 to be superfast, so maybe a faster blade will bring its speed up a bit.

The control sounds good. I guess the spin compared to Tenergy is to be expected.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 01:49 
Super User

fattchoi wrote:
All in all, being 1/3 the price of a Tenergy, this rubber is certainly worth it. Its lack of spin would make this rubber very suitable for play against the lps. I will slap a piece on one of my favourite one-ply hinoki Jpen and see how it goes next week. :D

Cheers.

Thanks for the review Choi!

I am wondering if you were also using the Tenergy on the T2. Comparisons I have seen indicated that Outlaw and Tenergy were about the same speed.

How did you find Outlaw over the table (touch shots, pushes, service returns, etc.) compared to Tenergy?

I look forward to how you find Outlaw on the single ply. Works real well on mine. :D

Saviga V 0.6

Last edited by Glueless on 03 May 2009, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next