OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gambler outlaw
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 13:16 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
nathanso wrote:
Well here's some disappointing news.. after less than one hour of testing, my new sheet of second generation Outlaw max black has developed its first spontaneous crack along the perimeter of the rubber sheet.. just like all my first generation Outlaws did (maybe even faster). It's a real shame since it spins the ball like crazy.

That's just the collateral damage risk we take playing Outlaw. It always annoys me that the cracks on the edge are exactly right where you hit the ball when you miss center of the rubber. I still cannot bring myself to fork over USD $57 for a sheet of Tenergy 05 for the FH. Despite all the irritation of shortened life and what not, it is still better for me to stay with Outlaw at this point. that might change with super-humid summer. Plus, it is fun to change out the sheet every month or two. To be fair, when I was in USA, I played 10 times less than I do now. I played 2 hours a week tops. Here in Korea with a club a 5 minute walk close by, I average 25 hours a week in the club. So naturally, I cannot expect Outlaw or any rubber for that matter to make it more than 2 months tops. I also hit very hard/fast strokes, so I accelerate the decline quite a bit. In light of my heavy usage, I am almost on par with other rubbers for usable life.

On the flip side, the Globe 999 topsheet that I use seems to be immune to breaks, tears and the like. It is practically bulletproof and all I do is wipe it off on my shirt. That doesn't do much to keep it tacky, but then again, I don't like but only mild tackiness. If I go too far, a little olive oil / lemon juice cleaning and overnight protective sheet brings back original tack, which I quickly abuse to bring it back to mild tack.

I am now pretty much adapted to Outlaw and enjoy the range of shots I can make with it. It is a far more versitile rubber than I first thought it was. I hear so many people say that Outlaw has no power or spin from mid to long distance. I find that I have to lift the ball some extra just to get it over the net - the spin I generate brings it down faster than I think. Still, it has a flatish trajectory that suddenly drops off the cliff. I like this as it seems my opponents have a harder time coping with that over the flight path of say my favorite Globe 999, which is a predicable medium to high arc. I reckon that is the better measurement of how the rubber suits you.

TT foruming like this has so many benefits.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 19:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I was going to give Outlaw a go on the Gergely before going back to Roxon if I didn't like Proton. But given I likedd Proton enough to keep it until the most humid night I played with it, it went to meltdown on me. So I went back to Roxon. Outlaw on my R1 was just as you describe Der. But I don't know if the thick balsa core gives it the power, but assuming your blade is not as fast as the R1, then it should perform on the Gergely which would be almost as fast as the R1 anyway. The HK is probably the next fastest blade I have that I could try it on and have been tempted to give it a go, but keep forgetting to do it. I really must give it a go.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 02:05 

No one has bumped this thread in several months, so why get a little update from Outlaw users out there?

I've read through this thread regarding the durability issues and I think regardless I'd like to give it a go.

Has anyone bought and used any Outlaw sheets recently that have cracked, bubbled, torn, etc?

I'd like to hear some more comments on this 'new version' that is supposedly out.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 05:16 

I have been using it from the beginning. No problems whatsoever. Do not use it on a stiff or carbon blade, less spin uncontrollable. (my opinion) Just tested it against sriver el. My playing partner said I had less control/spin but more speed with sriver. Told me to keep playing with outlaw. Tested it against nittaku naurcross tension and nodias. Lost control with tension but nodias played similar to outlaw but I could not generate as much spin on my slow spinny loops. I am playing much more now than when I made the first post about it. I change my sheets about every 5 weeks playing 10 15 hours a week. Could get more out of them but for 28 dollars why not play with fresh? On the sheets I have on blade right now I have a split on black up near top of blade (trying to get more spin on chop, pealed it on table) on red which is forehand lost 1/16 inch piece on side edge trying to flip close to table. Both still playable after 5 weeks. Just had 4 more sheets delivered this week will put two on and let you know If there is a difference. I did notice that if you order from zeropong separate sheets they come in 2.2 but if ordered as combo only 2.15. Don't know why. In conclusion, if you don't mind paying $35 to $65 usd for A sheet of rubber play with those. I have better things to do with that money. Grandkids ect. I will stick with this rubber. Ed

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 05:23 
Super User

I have used my sheet Gambler Outlaw 2.2 Black since July. 2 weeks ago a small part of the topsheet dissolved from the sponge at the upper edge. The reason? I hit to many times on edge of my racket I guess. Surface grip is still good. I'm very satisfied about Outlaw but I think the glueing process of the rubber is lousy. I mean the bond between topsheet and sponge should be stronger.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 20:08 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
I came across a Gambler Outlaw today. A rare find as I have been looking for months for this rubber all over the country, whichever city I have the opportunity to travel to.

So I bought a Red Outlaw at 2.2 and I can't wait to get back home to try it out. I own a couple of wooden blades, a couple of Stigas, 729s and a Butterfly. I was wondering what blade to try it on? What blade would be suitable? an Allround, a OFF- or an OFF+. Again I only have wooden blades to choose from. Help me out guys . . . .

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 20:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's a pretty fast rubber with a fairly high throw, so using it on a slower blade with not too much flex/kick would be sensible, I've treid this rubber on a few blades, and it seems to work fine on all of them, so I don't think it's particularly sensitive to blades IMO.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 12:39 

I bought two sheets of Outlaw 2.2. Out of the package it performed very well. Very good speed, very spinny and awesome control. This rubber is so fun to play with. This rubber is by far better than other rubbers I have used namely: 729 Super FX, 729 SuperSoft, RITC 2000 Tack Speed, LKT Torrent, H3, PF4. Faster than all these rubbers except maybe H3. Best in control among the lot. I love it on my BH. My allround game is better and I feel more confident with Outlaw. I have tried it on my son's allround 729 Red Spirit blade, the best looping setup for me.

Better things are yet coming, I plan to stick it to my main playing blade, Stiga S-3000 which is OFF. Can't wait to try it out.

Only cons probably is durability, the topsheet and sponge seem fragile. In cutting and sticking it to the blade, the sponge did not cut clean and seemed crumbly. I can't tell if there is a difference between red and black as my black was sequestered by my playing partner, he also liked it so much. Now I have to order some more.

Great work on the comparison with T05! By the way what is E2?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 05:26 

I know alot of you say the outlaw rubber has durability problems. I just changed both rubbers this week after playing with them since sept 1st. I will send the used rubber to any member to see how they look, then you can judge for yourself if there is really any question about the durability. Pm me with your address and I will send them to ya. Ed

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 11:30 

ebark63 wrote:
I know alot of you say the outlaw rubber has durability problems. I just changed both rubbers this week after playing with them since sept 1st. I will send the used rubber to any member to see how they look, then you can judge for yourself if there is really any question about the durability. Pm me with your address and I will send them to ya. Ed

Hello

After about a week of play, at 2-3 hours per session, the topsheet was starting to peel off the edges. I found out the topsheet was very thin. Yesterday I hit the edge of the table trying to pick up underspin on a BH loop. I tore a bit of the topsheet, about half an inch. Again I must say they are a bit fragile. I'm not sure about the consistency with every batch of Gamblers.

All said, I still absolutely love the Outlaws, but extra care should be given to get the most out of it.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 12:24 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I built a bat for a student 2 years ago. It had Outlaw on the forhand. Yesterday, he complained the bat was acting funny. I bounced a ball on it and instantly, I thought his bat had cracked. Well, it was not the bat, the topsheet of the Gambler had seperated from the sponge in a big area.

Today, I brought another Outlaw sheet and put it on his bat. That had been sitting in my used box for at least two years. The topsheet was almost gray. After putting it on, I hit it with spinmax. Looks and plays just like new. Don't know how long it will last but it was free for him.

The sponge on the Outlaw is strange, it does crumble even with a sharp knife. Outlaw is a pretty good rubber. I quit using it when I found it did not work at all in the high humidity in south China.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 15:15 

hookshot wrote:
I built a bat for a student 2 years ago. It had Outlaw on the forhand. Yesterday, he complained the bat was acting funny. I bounced a ball on it and instantly, I thought his bat had cracked. Well, it was not the bat, the topsheet of the Gambler had seperated from the sponge in a big area.

Today, I brought another Outlaw sheet and put it on his bat. That had been sitting in my used box for at least two years. The topsheet was almost gray. After putting it on, I hit it with spinmax. Looks and plays just like new. Don't know how long it will last but it was free for him.

The sponge on the Outlaw is strange, it does crumble even with a sharp knife. Outlaw is a pretty good rubber. I quit using it when I found it did not work at all in the high humidity in south China.

OK so that explains my problem here in the Philippines. I thought I do fairly well in cutting ant sticking rubbers to bats, but when I cut my Outlaw, the sponge seemed crumbly. I thought my cutter was at fault but I just bought my cutter brand new for that rubber.

Same problem with top sheet seemingly easy to separate from the sponge. My Outlaw is starting to do so on the edges after barely two weeks of use. Any tips how I can repair this? I hate having to waste such good rubber too soon.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 15:22 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

the crumbly syndrome seems very much like the F3S...

option one use very sharp scissors and cur very slowly.

oftion two get a nice sharp well oiled stanley blade and cut very carefully but jsut the sponge( also the blade needs to be at a low angle this helps a lot) then cut the rubber but as you are cutting the rubber. pull the excess away. this reduces friction.. also cut on a glass surface.. this also helps

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 18:16 

The crumbly sponge and easily detachable topsheet sounds just like the Mercury 2. Maybe it's better to just use that instead of Outlaw since it's heck a lot cheaper!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 13:55 

Alright...going to dig up this old thread as there appear to to have been some MAJOR changes that make Gambler Outlaw Classic a great (and superior for many) option again. After not playing with Outlaw (classic) for over 6 years due to the fact that my rubbers would bubble within mostly one training session (sometimes they'd last 2-3 sessions..at most), I contacted Zeropong to ask if the rubber still has the bubbling/cracking problem. After Tom said that that problem has been resolved and guaranteed that the Outlaw wouldn't bubble like it used to anymore I went ahead and purchased a red (noticeably harder than the black!) and black rubber. That was Almost three weeks ago. I am happy to report that the rubbers are still going strong without a single crack or bubble (and this is at a 2200+ level with a loop that's probably more like 2300-2400)! The playing characteristics appear to be the same as 6 years ago with the possible exception that the topsheet has become grippier. Still not sensitive to spin, though!

And it's still fast! I'm playing it on a Stiga Allround Classic and still have loads of speed. After three weeks the topsheet still looks excellent and is still super grippy (like new), so I think that there has been improvements in that department, too, as the old outlaw used to "age" much more quickly. I don't expect the rubbers to bubble or crack anymore. If bubbling or cracking occurs I'll let everyone know. I'll try to give another update in a month or two. In the meantime, for those of us who *loved* the old gambler outlaw (now Outlaw Classic) but stopped playing with it due to all the bubbling and cracking...it seems to be safe to buy it again. I, for one, am a happy camper. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next