OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Gewo Stratos Sound
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 09:22 

1. The reviewer: A veteran - plays up at the table, great control, strong loops both sides. Testing on a light Donic Cayman with 1.9 Tenergy 64 on the backhand.

2. Physical Properties: Red Max (2.3mm) 38 degree sponge hardness. Very grippy, not at all tacky. Not as transparent as Proton.

3. Speed:
I'm using this as a forehand replacement for Gewo Proton 385 max.
- Speed on slow strokes medium - clearly slower and less bouncy than the Proton
- Speed on power loops - very high, slightly higher than the Proton
- Speed on power drives/smashes - high - slightly lower than Proton

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loop - seemed high from my opponents reactions, and clearly getting a lot of dip from the spin
- Spin on serves/pushes - decent, less than Tenergy, but more than Proton.

5. Control:
Blocking was very easy and predictable, short pushes were surprisingly easy, no surprises looping.

6. Other Playing properties: Throw is low to medium, slightly higher than Proton. Seemed fairly insensitive to incoming spin and was pretty easy to hit through spin.

7. Reference: Obviously a very similar rubber to Proton 385, but grippier and less bouncy topsheet leading to a little more spin, slightly higher throw and better control

8. Other comments: Too early to tell, but it may be more durable than Proton. I misjudged a serve and looped hard into the edge of the table. It left a slight mark, but no other sign of topsheet or sponge damage.

Post subject: Re: Gewo Stratos Sound
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 11:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review, thanks jevansau!

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 13:48 

I'm got the Gewo Stratos Energy 2.3mm on BH and will try it out tonight (but I’ve tried it on other’s blade before purchasing).

It sounds like you've got T05 as well hey? I’ve T05 on FH and am happy with it, but Stratos Sound did sound attractive (especially the spin rating was so high – almost twice as spinny as energy). So can you please do comparison between Stratos Sound vs Tenergy 05 (if this is not too much to ask)?

Tibhar Stratus Samsonov Carbon 79g
Hexer plus max
Vega pro max

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 16:47 

I can't compare to Tenergy 05 since I've never used it.

Compared to Tenergy 64 (1.9mm), it is softer, faster, bouncier, less spinny.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jonathan

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 18:06 
Mars Attacks!

Hi guys,

I have/am testing both the Energy (42 degree sponge) & Sound (38 degree sponge?) and both appear to be an improvement on the proton series. The majority of players that have tired these rubbers seem to prefer the sound with its softer and much more forgiving sponge, it makes lifting the ball even off heavy underspin very comfortable.

5min you are the exception to this so far. I am really interested to get your feedback comparing this rubber to all of the other recent rubbers you have recently tested Pryde, gambler, tenergy etc.

I have been initially playing with the energy on my FH & a Proton 450 (45 degree sponge) on my BH but think I might give the sound a go on my FH.

I will need a little more time before I finalize my thoughts as I have also decided to test these rubbers on a Gewo Velox Speedster Fineline 360 blade (rated offensive) it is softer & slower blade than my trusty Stiga HW.

Maybe things will get clearer after a hit tonight might even catch up with you 5min @ Box Hill. :)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 20:25 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Mars ,I need you to report what you think of the Gewo Sound for flat hit/ smashing as I know you are good at that

hi jevansau thank you for the review how was this rubber for smashing with hahaha Im a bit boring eh but ,if it spins ok then that helps me with serving ,some looping and backspin pushes , but what I realy like is it good at hitting with lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 00:51 

Mars63 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have/am testing both the Energy (42 degree sponge) & Sound (38 degree sponge?) and both appear to be an improvement on the proton series. The majority of players that have tired these rubbers seem to prefer the sound with its softer and much more forgiving sponge, it makes lifting the ball even off heavy underspin very comfortable.

5min you are the exception to this so far. I am really interested to get your feedback comparing this rubber to all of the other recent rubbers you have recently tested Pryde, gambler, tenergy etc.

I have been initially playing with the energy on my FH & a Proton 450 (45 degree sponge) on my BH but think I might give the sound a go on my FH.

I will need a little more time before I finalize my thoughts as I have also decided to test these rubbers on a Gewo Velox Speedster Fineline 360 blade (rated offensive) it is softer & slower blade than my trusty Stiga HW.

Maybe things will get clearer after a hit tonight might even catch up with you 5min @ Box Hill. :)

Man, I didn't get to have a hit with Sound at all. Let me have a hit with Sound when you put it on. I only tried protons and Energy. I preferred Energy over proton series. I think Energy had a very different construction compared to other tensors. You feel this when you pinch the rubber... it's soft on the surface but then sudden gets hard after certain depth which allows it to excel both in long and short games.

In terms of comparison... We are a bit different in styles, so I don't quite like Energy on FH compared to T05. T05 is still spinnier in serves and loops (even you think it's dead). T05 is not good for me on BH at all as it's too slow.
Outlaw 2.0 was a bit disappointment on BH as I mentioned before. Pryde... I can't say anything wrong with it, but it gives an unclear feeling. I had it on FH of a carbon blade before as it was too slow for my BH

Energy is good enough for BH so far (unless Sound convinces me otherwise)... I'm just not used to use it lifting bottom spins yet. But my games have improved dramatically even today is the first time using it (as you rightly commented). I beat a few ppl whom I had trouble beating before. If there was another thing I'd like to ask from a BH rubber, it would be to easily lift bottom spins and produce heavy top spins without compromising the ability to block and smash like Energy. I'm selling my other blades atm, so hopefully I'll get the cash to buy one sheet of Sound. =)

Hexer plus max
Vega pro max

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 00:56 

I hope Stratos Sound is not like Joola Express Two or Xiom Omega III (euro) which are only good on harder blades...
I'm guessing the difference between Energy and Sound will be similar to difference between Boost TP and Tc - i.e. just sponge hardness difference, topsheets are the same...?

Hexer plus max
Vega pro max

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 01:46 

I had a hit with Stratos Sound on BH today on someone else's synthetic wood blade (with Stratos Energy on the other side). I do think it's only the sponge difference as the feeling is very similar. I had to agree that Sound's softer sponge may have more tolerance for errors, but it's not a necessarily a good thing for two reasons: 1, Energy is faster and better at hitting. 2, Energy forces you to do the 'right' thing. (i.e. be in the right position and do the right swing).

One thing to add is that, both Sound and Energy are not as spinny as T05, but with T05, you just cannot hit at all. I had someone flat hitting with my T05 on ZYN ZLC and I could block most of the smashes but can't even react the same smash from Stratos Energy.

Hexer plus max
Vega pro max

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 02:24 
Super User

5min wrote:

One thing to add is that, both Sound and Energy are not as spinny as T05, but with T05, you just cannot hit at all. I had someone flat hitting with my T05 on ZYN ZLC and I could block most of the smashes but can't even react the same smash from Stratos Energy.

Well i have not had any problem flat hitting with T05,after my first spinny loop if the balls high enough to hit,i get plenty of power from my T05,maybe its my One ply blade.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 12:46 

blocker wrote:
5min wrote:

Well i have not had any problem flat hitting with T05,after my first spinny loop if the balls high enough to hit,i get plenty of power from my T05,maybe its my One ply blade.

That could be the case, I'm using a ZLC blade where the ZLC layer is buried under TWO layers of wood, so it might be slower than yours.

Hexer plus max
Vega pro max

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 10:39 

Having played another set of matches with the Stratos Sound, this time against opponents who gave me more opportunity to smash, I can confirm that it is quite a good smashing rubber.
That said, I think the Proton was a bit faster on smashes, though both are easy to smash accurately with and fairly insensitive to spin. This is quite different to the T64 which always seems to be spin affected.

Regards,
Jonathan

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 13:14 
Mars Attacks!

jevansau wrote:
Having played another set of matches with the Stratos Sound, this time against opponents who gave me more opportunity to smash, I can confirm that it is quite a good smashing rubber.
That said, I think the Proton was a bit faster on smashes, though both are easy to smash accurately with and fairly insensitive to spin. This is quite different to the T64 which always seems to be spin affected.

Regards,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I think the "sound" sponge is slightly softer than the proton 385 you are comparing it with so it makes sense it is slower when flat hitting. I think you would find the harder energy version is faster on flat hits, I use proton 450(BH) & energy (FH) and there is very little between them, the 450 feels harder.
I am also starting to think these rubbers seem to work better with stiffer blades, that si why I have switched back to my Hybrid wood.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:07 

Mars63 wrote:
jevansau wrote:

Regards,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I think the "sound" sponge is slightly softer than the proton 385 you are comparing it with so it makes sense it is slower when flat hitting. I think you would find the harder energy version is faster on flat hits, I use proton 450(BH) & energy (FH) and there is very little between them, the 450 feels harder.
I am also starting to think these rubbers seem to work better with stiffer blades, that si why I have switched back to my Hybrid wood.

I had to agree that Gewo rubbers did match really nicely with HW. Even I could do some of Mars' 'patented' shots with his blade.

Hexer plus max
Vega pro max