OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 19:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I got this rubber from Geoff (here on the forum) from Aussie Table Tennis

XIOM Description:
"Exceptionally soft 40 degrees European sponge.
Top players are already using OMEGA II for their games - without any speed glue. The breakthrough technology TENSOR BIOS integrates the speed glue effect. OMEGA II demonstrates more powerful performance.
This is currently XIOM's biggest selling rubber. "

Ratings:
Speed 10
Spin 11
Control 8

Review: XIOM Omega II (MAX black) on a TSP Balsaplus 4.5 blade / Galaxy carbon blade
1. The reviewer:
Intermediate to high level club level player, modern defender (Chinese style looper on FH). Blade TSP Balsaplus 4.5 and Galaxy carbon blade.

2. Physical Properties:
Packaging is awesome, the best I've seen!. Sheet looks of top quality and is made in Germany (ESN). It also came with a tensor adhesive protection sheet. Topsheet feels soft and non-tacky but grippy and very smooth. Measured sponge hardness is 35deg (with respect to other rubbers in my Sponge Hardness table).
Topsheet did not feel as brittle like some of the other German Tensors, so perhaps this one will last a little longer.

3. Speed:
It's a fast rubber, but not uncontrollably fast, probably due to the good spin. The medium soft sponge does not feel too springy and it quite controllable in the short game, and not too sensitive to spin
On loops it takes little effort to generate good speed on loops. You can feel it dig into the sponge and catapult the ball back out.
Spin on these loops was not bad but not high either. Looping harder adds to speed, but also adds quite a lot of spin. The harder carbon blade worked a lot better than the soft Balsa blade, and this is what I think it's meant for.
Smashes/hits are fast with decent sound, but not ultra fast.

4. Spin:
Spin on serves and chops was decent but not outstading... you do need to dig the ball into the rubber to get the spin. On slow to medium loops the spin was good but not as high as I expected. However the harder I started looper, the more spin I seemed to get, which is a very nice property. This is a very good power-looper rubber with more spin the harder you loop.

5. Control:
Control in the short game was pretty good, but you do need to play a positive stroke as the rubber is fast. It feels quite insensitive to spin on low impact which is great. For looping the control was very good...the ball digs into the sponge giving you good dwell time and more time to place the ball where you want. The higher spin on power loops also made it easier to land the balls. Blocking was average as it felt a little sensitive to spin... similarly counter-looping close-in was harder due to it's sensitivity to spin, so taking a step back and counter-looping was a lot better, and allowed you to load up the spin again.

6. Other Playing properties:
Throw of the rubber is medium, although it feels medium-high on faster loops/counterloops. It has quite good glue feel and sound.

7. Reference:
It does feel like several other medium hardness German tensors, but feels less spinny on slow loops but more spinny on fast loops.

8. Other comments Other unique properties...

The topsheet did not feel as fragile compared to many other German Tensors, so it might last a little longer. This is a real nice power-looper's rubber with enough speed to hit it past virtually everyone. It performs better on the harder composite blades than it does on softer blade.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 05:45 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Thanks for the excellent review,

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 14:30 

Very good review, Alex. I am waiting for XIOM Omega II Asian review to know your opinion about it.

B/H : Tibhar Genius Max
Alternate Setup
Blade : Butterfly Michael Maze ALC FL
Rubbers: F/H : DHS TG3 Neo 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Red Sponge 2.1

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 15:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't have that rubber unfortunately. I would expect it to be quite similar though, just a little firmer sponge. The topsheet is the same.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 14:37 

haggisv wrote:
I don't have that rubber unfortunately. I would expect it to be quite similar though, just a little firmer sponge. The topsheet is the same.

I have tried this rubber once and the sponge IS 47.5 degrees. It is really very hard to sink the ball in the sponge unless you hit through the ball very very hard. Omega III Euro is quite soft compared to Omega II Asian. Also, the speed of Omega II Asian is too fast compared to Euro version.
These are just my thoughts. Anyone has more experience with Omega II Asian..??

B/H : Tibhar Genius Max
Alternate Setup
Blade : Butterfly Michael Maze ALC FL
Rubbers: F/H : DHS TG3 Neo 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Red Sponge 2.1

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 04:19 
Super User

Thanks for this nice review.
I played with the Xiom Omega II during 2 weeks.
It's a very pleasant and versatile rubber.
Quite fast, controlable, but very euro... I'm so habit to chinese topsheet (Globe or DHS). :lol:

How would you compare Xiom Omega II with Avalox Proton in term of speed ?
Is Avalox enough speed to compete with Xiom Omega II or DHS H3 Neo ? -> I have the both... and I love them all !
More FH or BH rubber ? (all in one, block, push...)

I'm gonna test Avalox Proton that Haggisv advised to try when the hype was focused on the Globe 999 National.

Thanks for your return.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 10:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've only tried the Pronte soft, and that is a definite step slower in speed than the OII. The throw of the Pronte is also quite a bit higher as you would expect. For my stroke I'd get more spin out of the Pronte for all loops except perhaps the fastest powerloops.

The OII seemed to really shine on a compostite blade, so I'm wondering if perhaps the Pronte soft would perform a lot better there too?