OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 14:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://espn.go.com/olympics/tabletennis ... vent-qatar

Of course, the ITTF covered up this fact on their website and all of a sudden France is quietly listed as one of the countries participating in this event with no explanation. This is a typical example of ITTF "transparency."

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 14:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
http://espn.go.com/olympics/tabletennis/story/_/id/7156206/iran-pulls-pingpong-diplomacy-event-qatar

Of course, the ITTF covered up this fact on their website and all of a sudden France is quietly listed as one of the countries participating in this event with no explanation. This is a typical example of ITTF "transparency."

ITTF clearly operates under the doctrine of releasing information on a need-to-know basis... Such as you need to know which LPs are banned, so you can buy the ones that aren't. You sure don't need to know exactly HOW they tested them for legality. :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 15:08 
I am Legend
I am Legend

err.

Iran would hardly be the first nation to pull a team with no explanation. Why is the ITTF at fault here? This is a typical example of ignorance and bias.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 15:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Silver wrote:
err.

Iran would hardly be the first nation to pull a team with no explanation. Why is the ITTF at fault here? This is a typical example of ignorance and bias.

Which part is ignorant and which part is bias? That ESPN knows about it but ITTF doesn't or won't tell us?

OK.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 15:51 
I am Legend
I am Legend

roundrobin wrote:

Which part is ignorant and which part is bias? That ESPN knows about it but ITTF doesn't or won't tell us?

OK.

Not sure if you noticed that the ITTF is hardly the AP.

Secondly, Iran pulls out and because Ian Marshall didn't report it on the ITTF site it's a coverup?

Yep.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 15:52 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

It doesn't matter why the team from Iran pulled out. What's disturbing is the ITTF hushed it up. This is a high profile ITTF event big enough to get international headlines specifically because of the storyline that the ITTF brought international enemies together for a friendly table tennis competition.

On October 3, the ITTF website announced that Iran was confirmed as competing. On October 19, France was quietly listed in place of Iran with no explanation.

Why wasn't it even mentioned that France replaced Iran? Seems a pretty significant omission.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 15:59 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Politics. :sweat:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 16:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Silver wrote:
roundrobin wrote:

OK.

Not sure if you noticed that the ITTF is hardly the AP.

Secondly, Iran pulls out and because Ian Marshall didn't report it on the ITTF site it's a coverup?

Yep.

Funny, I am the one who usually get warned by unbiased moderators, but hey, you should watch your language here pal. :^)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 16:33 
I am Legend
I am Legend

My comments on this are as a non-moderator and fair game to any other mod out there.

I censored it anyhow. Better?

I can make another account to refute you from if you like.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 16:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Silver wrote:
My comments on this are as a non-moderator and fair game to any other mod out there.

I can make another account to refute you from if you like.

No need to...

Everything related to this topic has already been debated countless times before... I was just agreeing with OP one more time, that's all. ;)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 22:19 
Stir Crazy

Joël Bouzou, the President and Founder of “Peace and Sport”, sees sport having a far greater mandate; it can facilitate harmony and understanding. ***

Okay, this guy is wanting to promote harmony and understanding. The whole event is meant to be a "good news story". And I think both of these things are reasonable objectives and that the ITTF should share those objectives.

Next, Iran pulls out. Not promoting harmony and understanding, true? Not a "good news story", true? To highlight Iran's withdrawal by running a news story on it would be counterproductive to the whole aim of the exercise. And might even jeopardise possible positive outcomes for the remainder of the competition.

ESPN has no interest in promoting "harmony and understanding". ESPN attracts an audience by telling "bad news stories" as much as otherwise. Therefore ESPN are going to give it airplay.

Is this selective reporting by both the ITTF and ESPN? Yes. Is it an "ITTF coverup"? Only in the minds of those who see evil in everything the ITTF does.

***Please note, this is not a direct quote but puts together information from the ITTF website.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 02:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

So after the ITTF spent all this effort to post daily "news" items with the appearance of objectivity, it ends up that their website is just a propaganda portal and if we want the real news we need to go elsewhere.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 07:26 

I'm actually surprised that Iran agreed to play in the first place. I mean, the event is meant to: ... encourage dialogue between countries to promote mutual understanding and peace. Hmmm, that doesn't seem to be Iran's objective on so many issues. Perhaps it could have been a start. Yeah, I know that's not the point of this thread. :oops:

Okay, no more politics. :oops:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 07:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

They should have put in Israel rather than France. That would have made things really interesting. :lol:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 07:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
They should have put in Israel rather than France. That would have made things really interesting. :lol:

Pakistan and India, nice! :)