OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 06:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Wish I lived in a place like Gold Coast where they support table tennis like this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... -news.html

Quote:
Council blows $33k on 3 ping pong tables

Gold Coast City Council has forked out $33,000 for three outdoor table tennis tables, in a move that has been branded ludicrous and outrageous.

Cheap ping pong tables can be bought from as little as $150, outdoor versions for about $500, while a top of the line, limited edition table was just under $3000.

Hope Island councillor Grant Pforr, who bought them for three parks using discretional funding defended the purchase claiming it was cheap.

You have to bring your own bat and ball if you want to use them, though.

Finance boss Cr Eddy Sarroff questioned if the tables were plated in 18 carat gold.

One table each will go in the Paradise Point Parklands, Charles Holm Park at Hope Island and outside the Runaway Bay Sports Complex.

It is not the first time the council has splashed out for ping pong.

Last year it sent a senior bureaucrat to the Netherlands for $4100 to bid for the World Veterans' Table Tennis Championships 2014.

Cr Pforr said he decided to buy them when the parks and gardens department sent an email to councillors that a company was offering them for sale.

He said they were not the same as the tables listed for sale above, which were for home or professional use.

"They're on a concrete slab. It's a thick steel mould and they have stainless steel nets. They have murals painted on them and they're vandal proofed," he said.

"That's pretty cheap in my books."

According to council documents they have a 10 year life and will have to be replaced and spend $900 a year maintaining them.

People will have to bring their own table tennis paddle and ball, which Cr Pforr said was similar to the arrangement at the volleyball courts in Paradise Point.

Cr Sarroff said it showed why the council needed to reign in its budget and divisional spending.

"I can't see how three table tennis tables are a priority at the moment," he said.

Division 3 candidate Gerry Thibault, who will contest Cr Pforr's seat at the election, said it was outrageous and no one must have looked for competitive prices on it.

"There was no counter check by any of the other councillors or by any council officers. My children could have picked this up," he said.

Division 3 candidate David White said he didn't imagine there was much call for ping pong in parks.

"The parks already have exercise machinery that's not used now. Who on earth is going to use an outdoor table tennis table?" he said.

Youth Point Connect Runaway Bay spokesman Derek Venske said he had not been asked by Cr Pforr if the group or area needed or wanted one.

"But anything that gets kids more active and not sitting behind TVs all the time is welcome," he said.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 07:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The concrete blocks and installation probably cost more than the tables, and it's probably dirt cheap compared to any playground. I'd like to see the tables though ;)

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 09:59 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
haggisv wrote:
I'd like to see the tables though ;)

there is a whole website dedicated to outdoor tables in Australia...
http://www.popp.net.au

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 11:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
The article shows how denegrated "ping-pong" still is in this country. $33k spent by a council can be blown on a few dinners! Heaven forbid the community actually get something that is vandal proof and might provide some people with fun and fitness benefits! Obviously the council forgot to "manage" the press and guide them to write the "right" article selling the benefits and explaining why a concrete vandal proof outddor table might cost a tad more than a $500 outdoor table. Gee I'd like to see how long a $150 TT table left in a park would last...or even a $500 one! :headbang:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 12:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
PRW wrote:
haggisv wrote:
I'd like to see the tables though ;)

there is a whole website dedicated to outdoor tables in Australia...
http://www.popp.net.au

Interesting... I have not seen that! :up:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 13:36 
Super User

Don't forget, they would have had to pay 6 council workers to get it constructed, 2 to do some work, while the other 4 supervise while on smoko :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 15:41 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
it looks like Adelaide has got some outdoor tables as well...

http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/have-a-lunchtime-table-tennis-hit/

Haggisv, have you visited any of them?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 17:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
PRW wrote:
it looks like Adelaide has got some outdoor tables as well...

http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/have-a-lunchtime-table-tennis-hit/

Haggisv, have you visited any of them?

No-one could complain how much they spent on that table, unless they complained it wasn't enough LOL...looks like a K-Mart $120 table!! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 18:17 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Do they take them down every day? Those would get destroyed quick if left up I think. They look like $100 tables.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 20:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

They would be taken down at night. I doubt they would get broken in a city park, those places are pretty calm in Australia, generally only a few girls doing Yoga or some office workers having a rest up during lunch break, not much else going on 8)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!