OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 16:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
boz wrote:
Fun 50th birthday for me too! :D

Hey, happy birthday mate!!! :party: :party: :party:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 17:05 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Happy Birthday!!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 19:54 
Super User

Happy 50th :party: :party:

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2023, 10:05 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Thanks for the BDAY wishes fellas! Cheers.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 17:32 
Super User

Had my worst session of TT in a long time today.

Played top of the table starting at the bottom and I got right up to the top without losing a game as usual, but then lost to 4 or players I had already beat. Players I have played before too and not dropped a game too.

1. FXS on this defender's blade and glued poorly was a total disadvantage to me unless I played the way it wants me to play. = medium soft flat drives.... not my style.

The number of times I hit the ball into the net was ridiculous. I briefly swapped bats with Wayne who was using 09c on alc and I hit every ball off the end of the table high. What an amazing high throw angle compared to fxs.

I was just really having trouble finding the right space between looping into the net and just the ball rocketing uncontrollable with fxs. It was similar the other couple of times I played and thought this might settle when I get used to it, but no.

I can't use this setup anymore.

The whole bat felt heavy.

---

after that comp was over I took out my Yasaka Sweden again and the Rasanter 37 played better on it. Still not ideal...

I think I may have played my best with H3 38 on the bh of Yasaka Sweden.

---

frustrated.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2023, 21:02 
Super User

I was undeafeted in the top of the table comp last Saturday. It was great to get back to using H3 both sides on the Sweden Classic.

After the comp, I played a match against Mr. Tran. We were 1:1 using the same bat, then for fun I pulled out my andro blade which is now H3 and neptune LP on ones side. Surprisingly, I played even better against him with it. I think the main thing was returning his service was easy and weird for him to do his 3rd ball kill. Beat him 3:2.

I tried a bit more with the same blade against Mr. So in a match and lost 3:2. I am not good with LP against guys are just using SP .... they are better at it than me.

---

It was fun to use the LP for a bit but overall I hate it when the other player is a low spin & speed player. I also liked getting back to a faster blade so that my attacks were more consequential.

---

Overall, double H3 on the Sweden Classic suits me well.

https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneTableT ... 7271356547

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2023, 15:10 
Super User

Had a hit today with Yuta, Rabi, Radi, and Eric.

My level felt pretty much the same.

---

Points of note is that I have been going back and forth with the newer red 38 and the older black 41 hurricane 3 on my bh or fh.

Opposite to what most would play, I seemed to settle on black on bh and red on fh.

This is because the black was older and less spinny but faster and easier to get the ball on the table from further back more often.

The red was spinnier more often but more suited to me taking the fh later. A dropping ball requires more catch.

---

I only dropped a couple of games but I was treating today more like training where I have to try things out instead of stick to strengths.

Most of the play against Eric was not counting points. I beat him 2:1 in the final match before going home though. He changed his usual style and was trying really hard to win by not making his own errors... letting me make them during attacking... quite unusual for him.

---

Was a good day of TT

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2023, 20:12 
Super User

Lost again only by 1 point to anglo shaun (not the asian guy I play with mostly) in the top of table last Saturday. Before comp I had a hit with Ken who complemented me on my short touch receive of serve. Yeah I agree, I have no problems challenging any player who wants to test me in short touches over the net. Playing into my strengths with double H3.

After the comp. I beat Mr. Tran 3:0 but this time I just stuck to my double inverted. Also beat Peter 3:0 but I am not that surprised even though he has really improved his fh loop.

I lost 2:1 to Anakin but 2 of those were like 15:13 or something... so very evenly matched. Great fun.

Feel like I am getting somewhere with my game even if I am only playing once a week. I am trying to be a bit more aggressive on service return again. Graze looping the full power I can into anything longer.... and the percentages are really up of landing again.

I feel like I am maturing more in knowing which shots not to go for the kill on too. Generally, the ones where I just know I won't reach well, I just defend on even though they look like ones that could be killed if I were faster on my feet. 'My feet' metaphorically speaking is all my body just not being able to move as it did 15 years ago.

I am still mixing in a bit of Chinese grip play into my games occasionally when I get a big lead on players. I believe it's superior in the FH, but I know that there are a million shots I just can't do with it. The strengths are taking a short lower ball over the table with a graze loop full power swing. I feel like Ma LIn might :rofl:

---

Overall, I am feeling like my bat set up is as good as it can get for now. The only thing someone would be able to sway me off it is to give me a rubber that is like H3 but tackier with longer longevity... which I doubt is worth forking out for.

2 x $30 rubbers + $65 blade = affordable replaceability and to me, they outperform anything else in the game I play.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2023, 06:16 
Super User

Tuesday's play

I hadn't played games or a match for quite a while against 'asian' Shaun because he was off mostly for an injury.

He rarely took games of me and never enough to take a match. Tuesday he did.He beat me 3:2

1. He returned my serves better than most people I know. He could block most of my attacks that he could reach. Basically, he kept the ball on the table and I lost confidence or belief in being able to get my shots past him to the point where I pulled back to stop my own attacking errors.

2. Then he would attack.

Still, I think because we used to practise a lot together, he knows my game better than most. He played clearly better than me and I thanked him and complemented him about his improvement.

---

I played my normal level with everyone else and I still believe my game is improving. Probably not so fast compared to Shaun who plays a few times a week.

---

I had a brief hit with my LP bat but nah, I felt I lost the ability to go for it when I wanted.

---

Today is Thursday, and I am working next Saturday, so I might go in to play today to make up for the weekend. Especially considering I will be much busier next week too. Just sucks that my body parts don't like playing as much as my mind wants to.

I have pain in my lower back like kind of tension build up quickly once I start playing a session. My ankles and knees tend to take about 24 hours to get back to not feeling like I need a walking stick after a 3 hour session.

I use TT shoes but wonder if I should try using normal shoes with more padding. I never stomp on serves to preserve my legs.

It's all a balancing act right now. Play more I improve, I get healthier at the cost of my joints.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2023, 09:37 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
boz wrote:

I use TT shoes but wonder if I should try using normal shoes with more padding. I never stomp on serves to preserve my legs.

It's all a balancing act right now. Play more I improve, I get healthier at the cost of my joints.

I am heavy atm (115-120kg) and play in Asics Rocket Gel shoes - which are the most shock-absorbent shoes I have found. I also put gel heel pads in, which provides additional padding - although the reason for these was to raise the heel, to protect my achilles

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 17:26 
Super User

Would be a bit worried to have too much forward slanted shoes. I did try last week playing with some Nike's which more of a casual type. I think it may have helped but I don't think it helped me move the way I could with TT shoes.

Today I played again with my old TT shoes and played better than I have in a long time.

I beat Mr Tran the first 3 games and then lost the last two... I was pretty tired by the end of the comp.

I swapped my newest H3 black to my main blade and it felt so good after having it sit with booster for a week. I just used the harder black on the fh the whole time and didn't twiddle at all for even serves.

I am knackered after working all day and TT, time for some brews.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2023, 18:10 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Hey Boz,

do you ever go to BTT Club in the evenings during the week? I am in Brisbane 1 week per month

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 05:43 
Super User

PRW wrote:
Hey Boz,

do you ever go to BTT Club in the evenings during the week? I am in Brisbane 1 week per month

Very rarely Friday nights only. I can add you to a messenger group (I started it to find players quickly) if you want... PM me your FB if so.

Image me on right :rofl:

Post subject: Booze and Boz
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2023, 18:41 
Super User

I'd say over 30 years my booze intake progressively got heavier and heavier till I knew something had to change.

I managed to give it away for a year prior to COVID. And then hit it again. In that year off I lost 20 kg without changing anything else.

I quit again for a brief period but relapsed. That's the nature of the beast. But yeah turning 50 I said I got to get off. Hard when I got lots of bottles as presents etc.

Last weekend I had a couple of beers after work and then one in the carpark before I played. I must admit it was probably the best I played or felt playing :)

Yeah for me it is performance enhancing. Calm, in the zone, a touch euphoric. I can concentrate and be focussed on the task believe it or not.

---

Today I took some medication to help me go off the booze. I didn't have a drop for 24 hours and tried to play TT.

I played well at moments but over all I have not played so bad in the last few years.

I didn't get angry about it. I knew it was gonna be like this today. Everybody in the club knew something was wrong with my level. I mean I lost to about 5 people I haven't in agesssssssssssss.

---

I can't just blame it on the my brain state. Well maybe... Today I just felt like I couldn't be F*** defending. So maybe there was a touch of mild inner grouch inside.

I just swung hard a great deal more than usual and well that's why there are defenders in the world. They win when other people can't just get the ball on the table.

---

As frustrated as I was with playing so poorly, it was still worth doing, because sitting at home is miserable trying to get off the wagon watching tv.

---

God I wish booze was never invented sometimes. It's such evil once it gets a hold of your pleasure points in your brain.... It's like a keyhole exists that no key can fit in there to tickle an itch in any other way.

Hopefully this new prescription will help soften the landslide I'm gone go through... (if it's anything like the withdrawals I've been through before!)

Wish me luck.

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2023, 08:10 
Super User

Sorry to hear. Good luck and all the best. Chin-up and keep going. :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next