OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 10:59 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Week 3 of my New East Auckland club
Because of the stormy weather I still Haven't got the 2 extra tables I need, I arrive right on 6 pm (I always intend to get there earlier but I always have had a genuine reason for not being there 15 mins quicker)
I bought 1 player with me and within 2 mins there was 4 players ready, because I'm trying to develop Table Tennis at the badminton facility, I do feel like we will always be an after thought. This week no one opened our room, then the badminton organiser said we can't get the next court until 6.30, (he's just being greedy and double booking courts) So in the end we had 9 paying players 2 of who were new,
so I now have a register of 14-15 players in total who have come at least once.
One of the new players wanted lessons and I gave her some time to help her out but not as long as she needed, but I had to keep people moving around

Its funny that I receive different expectations from everyone there, some want more competition, others want excersize, others want coaching
overall everyone is happy but expect that their money will get them 2 full hours (I did talk to the badminton side to say its was our court from 6 pm and not later) he did agree, but we will see next week lol
My main focus is to help get the two extra tables before next week, and to ignor helping others who present me problems when Im ready to go to the East Side :up:

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 09:26 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

http://www.tabletennis.org.nz/ I'm lucky to be in the presidents team for the New Zealand Veterans
does any one know the Aussie player ranked in the top 50 in Oceania? I'm playing with him in the over 50.s Presidents?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 21:26 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I was asked to fill in for the West Auckland interclub, I last played maybe 4-5 weeks ago and I like playing there because I win more lol
I played a two winged looper/hitter first he does make alot of rushed mistakes and although he got off to a good start last time we played I remembered where to return his serves and had him in control for the whole match. (we play the best of 3 there ) and I won 3-0

I would think that I am in the top 4 players in West Auckland (although I'm not that regular) :lol: but sometimes when I fill in they put me as the number 2 so in theory it boosts the team I'm playing for as I'm a number 1 type player in that Inter-club system.
but its just happens out West and the teams that gets the short end of the string is the team (like the one we were playing on the night) who have never needed replacement players
(What I'm saying is ...that 3 of the regular replacement players are 3 of the best players in the West so its like that team getting a super sub)

I played there top player next and last year she did beat me twice in 2 close games but I have beaten her comfortably the last 2 times we played so I was fairly confident, she is very good at blocking top spin and 1 very good serve, So when we played I attacked her serves to my forehand so she tried my backhand and that what I wanted, I seemed to be hitting some very hard smashes and varied my spin at times to make her falter, I ended up winning 3-0 with no games too close

I played doubles next with our top player who is normally a two wing power looper but has shoulder problems and now uses Giant Dragon Talon to chop with but will twiddle at times with a awesome spin loop, we were up 10-0 in the first and he said what shall I do , I replied "whatever" you want so he just hit the ball 10meters out so no down trowel
we won the next 2 10-3 and 10-5 but we were mucking around at the ends

I easily won the last game against a counter hitter smasher , he couldn't pick my pips but he did play extremely well against my Number 1 player and was leading 2-0 before fading badly, anyhow I practiced serve and attack and gave him no favors for a easy win

Their top player beat our number 1 Chopper in the last game to make the score 8-3 to us
I forgot to say our third player is using Dr Evil both sides so our opposition did have a bad night out

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 23:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
rodderz wrote:
http://www.tabletennis.org.nz/ I'm lucky to be in the presidents team for the New Zealand Veterans
does any one know the Aussie player ranked in the top 50 in Oceania? I'm playing with him in the over 50.s Presidents?

So where is this vets being played? I see there is a Aus V NZ test match. Is it here or over there?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 07:23 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
rodderz wrote:

So where is this vets being played? I see there is a Aus V NZ test match. Is it here or over there?

This is an annual event called the New Zealand Veterans and played in different locations around New Zealand, the event tends to attract many of the best Aussie Veterans, I'm playing in the Over 50 Men Presidents 1: Wen Ung/Rodney Bygrave ,We will play 2 singles each and 1 doubles in a section with 4-5 other teams, I'm unsure if we will be in the A grade or B grade? Wen is from ACT and is rated in the top 50 over 50's players in Oceania (just been doing some research)...... so I better practice lol

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 20:40 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Week 5 round 3 of the Summer Inter-club (last game and round)
Well there were 4 teams including us with only 1 win so we had to win to stay in the A grade, I was sure we were going down this time
but the way it went the 4 bottom teams were playing each other ie we (in 4th place) were playing the 5th place team and the 3rd place team were playing the 6th place team and only two points between the 4 of us

Just before leaving to go , I can't find my normal bat Ulmo Def with stiga spin and Ma Wong 11 ox.... I must have left it at my Wednesday Comp and I had no time to go and get it, My back up blade was my BBC Fiddler with a year old Rakza7 Red max forehand and Dawei 388-1 .6 sponge black backhand, I only had a brief hit before our games were to start
I played a Chinese (Ma Lin ) style player who speaks no English and is just in New Zealand for a Months holiday, I wasn't playing too bad in the first but I couldn't spin with my forehand and my backhand was letting the ball go a half meter long lol, I could only pick hit and try and block while trying to stay involved while he relentlessly attacked but I did win the 3rd game and came close in two others to loose 4-1. He does not trow the ball up 1 mm and all serves were from his hand
My team mate played next against the other blocker/ hitter and he seemed to get highly rattled with the 6 older Chinese men who were cheering /coaching and laughing while my TM played and under normal circumstances I would put money on for my TM to win but the other player blocked /caught edges and played well to get home 10-8 in the 7th
So we are down 2-0 and with me having no confidence with my blade and setup and my TM rattled after loosing to the weaker player we were going down for sure.
Anyhow My team mate was trying hard but the Ma Lin look alike was doing every trick in the book such as serving with his hand starting over the table / no trow (I did stop the game and warn him) he would do the chicken walk as my TM was about to serve, he would do a towel break at 6-7 and again at 6-8 and then walk away out of the areana all kinds of stuff but my TM did win 4-2, I think he won to try and shut his elders up :lol:
Well it's my turn and I played ok for a 11-8 loss .My team mate only offered that he didn't care and for me just to try hard (I think he believed that since he lost I would too) so I thought of some different serves and tactics for the 2 nd game which were panning out
the next two games were even with us getting one each , then my cheer leaders came (two of NZ's best young Jnr girls) for some reason they just sat there and started clapping for me (I had completely forgot about my opponents 6 clappers) I think they felt sorry for me have no support and they are mates with my team mate, well they helped spur me on to a 11-9 win in the 7 th game, I was sure we were done and dusted. So now we were 2 all and had some momentum for the doubles, we got off to a 2 -0 lead (we all decided on a best of 5 sets and not a best of 7 ) we were real confident , then suffered a bad start to loose the next game, I said we will be right this is our best end so we can finish them off, next minute we are down 5-1 and 9-3 even when we looked like loosing I said to my team mate to start collecting points to get a better start in the last game and we got back to a 10-7 loss. My theory was right and at change of ends we were up 5-1 and later 8-4 I think we got a bit cocky and they were catching fast , I told me team mate where I would return the serve, (wide to forehand) so he could finish the point but their player missed so we are up 10-6 and they got 3 good shots in before they hit one long so we won 11-9 in the 5th for a team score of 3-2,
So guess what we stay in the A grade for the Winter start round which starts after Easter and our NZ Veterans Champs
(side note the Japanese player I was head hunting was playing in the F grade ) what a waste, he was just helping his mate ... sandbagger :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 06:39 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well we managed to stay in A Grade, so the team coming 3rd ended up last and the team coming 6th and last came 3rd, we came 4th, so again we were not relegated as the bottom 2 teams drop out, The strangest win was the 2nd top team comprising of the young 12-13 year old National Champ beating the long pimple leftie and her fill in player won both his singles and together won the doubles to win 4-1 over the team who had all 5-0 wins up to the last game, Their normal player is the girls 15 yo brother who is currently playing for New Zealand at the World Teams in Germany, So one week I play him the next week he's in a photo with Schlager (so I feel connected in a perplexed way) :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 07:56 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Week 4 of my Monday East Auckland club (I'm the sole organiser of this club) and do it just to foster Table Tennis in that area
Well tonight we had 7 players, two regulars rang and said they weren't coming , We had 1 new player so this means 14-15 registered
I'm still taking leads and although some players have only been once, I think some will come back when there are more tables and players

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 11:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
So tell us more about this club you set up. Is it at a school? How many tables have you got? Did you buy them yourself? Have you registered the club? Sounds like a great thing you are doing, shame you can't get a good following. Maybe it will slowly build.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 22:08 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
So tell us more about this club you set up. Is it at a school? How many tables have you got? Did you buy them yourself? Have you registered the club? Sounds like a great thing you are doing, shame you can't get a good following. Maybe it will slowly build.

I have been keeping a running post about my new club on here, Its held at a badminton hall we have 3 tables, and 2 more when I can organise someone to help me :sweat: At this stage I just want players to mix and mingle and play lots of games, once we have our 5 tables then I can have 4 for top table or round robin matches and 1 for coaching and re-learning lol, I may even be able to put in teams into the Auckland interclub system or go over and challenge another club out East or West for a friendly match

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 19:53 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I filled in again for the Wednesday West Inter-club, I had other business to attend to so I was running late
When I got there I was straight on , with a few hits verses a Long pimple blocker who fishes or side spins with his forehand,
I have given him lessons on how do do more with his pips, and at that time he was in the top 5-6 players out West, but now he just blocks on that side, So I play patiently and work him around or roll one with my pips either side that he doesn't pick up, but our games were a little close with me winning 11-8 11-9 11-8, but I felt in control
Next I played the number 1 player in their team who can loop or drive hard from either side, I won pretty easily in the first two games, but was letting him run things for him to win the next two, so I thought I would just chop either side to grind him down, he wasn't missing until we were 8-8 but he hit the next 3 into the net for me to win
I played Doubles next, with one of the best over 70's players in Oceania, and he said we will play like left / right, so I served from the left and received serves from the left , it was good fun as I needed to get confident at looping again with all that chopping I was doing in the last game, we started really well but let them come back to two games all, but got our system going well again to win 3-2
The last game was against a sword fighter style who takes it on his backhand as often as he can, I've never been troubled by him before and although 1 game was 13-11 to me I did win 3-0
So as a super sub we won 7-4 with a good support by me hehehe, I'm still unbeaten out there but I never had to play the 3 best players yet (but I have beaten them before while they have done likewise)
We have a break before our Winter Auckland Inter-club starts again, but I still will be playing regularly as I'm off to the New Zealand Veterans at Easter

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 22:02 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well Ill be posting here next week after our New Zealand Veterans, I'm unsure who I will be meeting from this forum but I should be playing against Greggy in the over 50's A grade teams, I've got the number 2 or 3 best player from ACT as my team mate, (should I tell him I'm 300 places below him on the Oceania ratings list lol) ill have to try hard me tinks

So the ones I know are Greggy, Greg Letts, Packman, Reb's father Chris D
If any Aussies want to say hello, just ask where Rodney is, I can't be missed

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 21:52 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Over 50 Men A Grade
Wellington 1: Lindsay Ward Depak Patel
ACT: Trevor Taylforth Julian Goldenberg
Wellington 3: Ian Talbot Chris Talbot
Canterbury 1: William Stewart Grant Wilson Gregg Davey Gold
New South Wales: Stephen Tai Thomas Woltman
Presidents: Wen Ung Rodney Bygrave Silver

Just got back from the Nationals Veterans and had a great time

In the over 50's Men's A grade Teams We were seeded last (because of me) but my great partner from Canberra and I came 2nd and picked up my first trophy, my partner Wen was more happy than me because he seen me play hehehe ' had just represented Australia in the test against Australia so spent the next two days guiding and helping me to 2 wins many close losses and 2 doubles wins, to find out on count back we had come second, :party: :up: :up: :party: :lol: :clap:
we had 3-2 results 3 times for wins and 2-3 results twice for 2 close losses (in fact we were maybe 10 points away from winning lol)
I got to play against the great pingpongStephen Tai and Greggy the Davey, and although I lead both players I couldn't finish them off, but players had a plan B and were able to adjust
I also Took the first game off none other than Greg Letts, I was hitting so hard and consistant he had to get coaching advice from Craig Cambpell and he won the next 3

any editing to follow I'm tired

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 11:01 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well well well, I always seem to have prided myself on playing with any type of equipment, and usually I can go from ox pimple backhand to soft max rubbers like Desto F3 even from the first shot, even at the Nationals I tried a few combo bats, and when I play at different venues around Auckland I will just use any bat and even more so when I'm coaching and the last week of the summer Auckland interclub in a must win situation I forgot my bat and had to use my old Fiddler etc.... so you get the drift (as in equipment I thought wasn't the major issue)

So anyhow Greggy kindly loaned me the BBC Blue streak (you maybe able to look at his post on its construction, but defiantly has a carbon near the middle and another close to the outer wood on the forehand side also the blade head seemed smaller than most or all other two combination blades, I put on my Stiga spin from my other blade and because I just wanted to try and I heard from here that red Palio ck531A old model had good reversal for a cheap Chinese rubber, well after 2 min warm up, I couldn't hit the table and lost the first game 11-0 this is against a player I have never lost to in competition (although he is a very good player) the ball went liner from either side the ox was going a meter long on blocks and with my forehand I felt I had no grip/spin or straight line hitting capabilities at all, I did slightly better in other games but overall a disaster, as control was out the window, I did have my other bat with no forehand rubber so I peel the stiga spin of the bbc bs and pressed it back on the Ulmo Dualality (although cut down by 5mls all around) but I was back in heaven again and went on to loos 14-12 in the 7th against the best player out West

I do like my BBC Fiddler but its a little fast on my backhand but the BBC Blue streak seemed to have no substance to it, just a lite small headed bat

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 11:15 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

heres me collecting Silver at the National over 50's A grade Teams with mu team mate Wen Ung from ACT and Grant (Greggy was in their team also) taking out the Gold
(I'm the fat one in the misddle)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next