OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Naked Bear
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 10:07 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

tabesamis wrote:
So let me get this clear. You didn't move up even though you were b1 best player? Or how did that work?

Sorry, I missed an important part. Yes, I did move up. The new season sees me playing in A4! As they say, 'The only way is up!'

Thanks for pointing out my omission. :oops:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

Last edited by Oskar on 19 Apr 2012, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 10:36 

Oskar v Haggisv

Last night I had the great pleasure of meeting haggisv. Without giving away too many details, we met up at the Ballarat club for a hit. And what a hit! Talk about being brought down a few rungs, which is to say that our haggisv is a mighty fine player.

Initially, we had a friendly hit on a spare table. No doubt we were both keen to see each other play. I must have seemed a complete noob, because I was not prepared for the standard of play haggisv possessed. What a wicked forehand: so much spin that I was sure I could hear the ball whirring! Add to this that the ball was injected with screaming sidespin and I should have just got on my hands and knees and begged for mercy! I think I did, but to haggisv it probably just looked like I was retrieving the ball. To make matters worse - those pips and his ability to use them. Nightmarish stuff!

To balance the equation, I can say in all honesty that haggisv is a mighty fine fellow! He's ready to give tips and advice, and just go with the flow. In our first rest period he showed me a few bats he had brought. I think they were those Dream blades with tacky rubbers made of balsa and other light materials. I had a hit with one of them, but, admittedly, I do like my present set up. A little later on we had 3 practice games, but I knew I was out of my league. Not having the best recall, I think the result was in the order of 11-3, 11-4, 11-3. I'm hoping that my memory doesn't serve me so well and that at least one of those scores should have read 11-5. No matter - I was up against a very talented player!

One of the most important things about the night was the advice he gave me about my style. I'm the sort of player that asks for advice no matter what the outcome. Sure, there's a side of me that would rather not know, but I resist that urge knowing that's just being stupid. Anyway, the couple of bits of advice haggisv gave me will take me to the next level. I'm sure of it!

Before that night - even with my coaching sessions - I never realised that I could improve my forehand stroke by starting my swing below the ball. I know it seems stupid to think otherwise now. Gee, everything seems stupid in hindsight. The point is that I realised I've never actually looped the ball before. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Almost immediately, as haggisv sent backspin balls my way and me starting my stroke below the ball, I gained greater control and spin - more venom! Even to the point where haggisv was being troubled on returns, occasionally. I can't thank him enough for that. It made me realise that the plateau I was on really existed and there was another wonderful peak to climb. Besides the punch-block he showed me as well, I think once I start actually looping with my loop-friendly set up I'll be a much more satisfied and dangerous player.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 12:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oskar wrote:
Just to be clear about your comment: are you saying that if the ball hits the lighting fixture (i.e. it doesn't become lost in the glare of the lights) and returns safely that it's a legal shot? If so, then my 'miracle' shot was due compensation for all the times this has happened to me!

No, if it hits the fixture, its loss of point. If it misses and goes above it and comes back down on the table correctly, the opponent is entitled a let.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 12:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Oskar v Haggisv

Last night I had the great pleasure of meeting haggisv. Without giving away too many details, we met up at the Ballarat club for a hit. And what a hit! Talk about being brought down a few rungs, which is to say that our haggisv is a mighty fine player.

I am well aware Haggisv is a fine player, but can you compare him to say Foam who you had a hit with? I wish I could have been in Ballarat this week to have had a hit with you guys. Not to mention the shame of you and I not getting time for a hit at Geelong Oskar - what a pity you didn't beat Menno. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 12:54 

It wouldn't be fair for me to compare haggisv and foam. They both certainly have very aggressive forehands, which I certainly aspire to. Also, I haven't had the pleasure of hitting with foam to assess his strengths and weaknesses (you might suggest that I should have learned something from umpiring, but when I'm umpiring I'm in a different zone).

I think if I were to imagine a match between the two, I think haggisv's confidence with his OX pips might be a deciding factor against foam. However, I do think that foam's advantage might be his absolute determination to win. When I've watched foam play he really is like a dog with a bone: he'll never let go! Really hard to call but a very good match to set up!

A hit with you is definitely on the cards. Yes, it was a shame I couldn't get passed Menno's from-the-hand serve because I'm sure I was a match for his abilities. At least that's what I think.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 13:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ah, I thought you did have a hit with Foam. Must have been only Malleus that had a hit with him then perhaps?

Anyway, you've done something I haven't managed in over 4 years. Met and had a hit with Haggisv! :up:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 13:59 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Ah, I thought you did have a hit with Foam. Must have been only Malleus that had a hit with him then perhaps?

Anyway, you've done something I haven't managed in over 4 years. Met and had a hit with Haggisv! :up:

Now, wouldn't that be something - Reborn v Haggisv! I don't care what you two shy bumpkins would say, the video would definitely be rolling! Of course, it would only be available on a pay-per-view site. :rofl: All money going to a charity, of course!!!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Now, wouldn't that be something - Reborn v Haggisv! I don't care what you two shy bumpkins would say, the video would definitely be rolling! Of course, it would only be available on a pay-per-view site. :rofl: All money going to a charity, of course!!!

I'd say it'd be done in secret with just Haggisv and I in some underground hideaway! :P :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 15:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes it was indeed a great pleasure to meet Oskar, as well as his brother and Malleus!

We did have a lot of fun testing each other skills, and a couple of games to finish off the night! A great night, and something I'd certainly like to do again! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Oskar shows lot of talent... I was amazed to hear he's only been playing less than 2 years, so his progress is qutie impressive! Combine that with his obvious passion for the game, I'm sure he can go a long way! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 15:35 

I'm determined to surprise you the next time we meet. So watch out! 8)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 16:36 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Just to be clear about your comment: are you saying that if the ball hits the lighting fixture (i.e. it doesn't become lost in the glare of the lights) and returns safely that it's a legal shot? If so, then my 'miracle' shot was due compensation for all the times this has happened to me!

No, if it hits the fixture, its loss of point. If it misses and goes above it and comes back down on the table correctly, the opponent is entitled a let.

It happens fairly often in Ballarat with the relatively low lights that are hanging with lots of space to go through them. The ball will travel clear over the lights without hitting anything and land back on the table. It's happened to me there and we just keep playing

p.s. From what I know about haggisv's pips skills and his legendary heavy sidespin loop, I wouldn't compete with him. might be able to go fair square with the forehands but the pips would do me in

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 21:27 

I'm lucky that I've had a hit with both Foam and Haggis, Foam is a bit quicker with more penetrating fast shots and Haggis is quite different, loading his shots with so much spin, more than I've ever seen before, that it goes into a terrific low and fast trajectory off the bounce, and then he has his wicked pips shots too.

Style: FH counterhitter, BH disruptor

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 11:25 

Cos it's my blog I'll indulge in a bit of fiction. So, here is THE game between these two mighty players!

Foam v Haggisv

Commentator 1: It's finally here! The great tussle between two giants of the game of table tennis. Conditions couldn't be better on the centre court, and both players look fit and ready to go.

Commentator 2: It certainly looks to be a tough match, especially because the chief umpire is Reborn - and we know what a stickler he is for the rules. How do you think this game will go?

C 1: (shaking his head) It's going to be a close call, but my money's on Haggisv. Foam has always admitted to inexperience playing against pips and his opponent is dangerous with them.

C 2: I think your right, but I wouldn't dismiss Foam just yet. Having seen him playing at the Geelong Vets recently, I saw a man who gives it his all. He's also very good under pressure. It'll be interesting to see what tactics he employs tonight, especially with Reborn in the umpire's chair.

C 1: You mean his suspect four inch serve?

C 2: (laughing) How easy is it to compare four inches to six? I just hope Foam doesn't concern himself with that little controversy. I think we all want a good match. A good match that flows without too many interruptions.

C 1: They're coming out onto the court now. Haggisv is looking relaxed, stretching a bit and taking a drink of water. Foam looks the same. They're handing their bats to the umpire for inspection. Reborn seems to like what he sees and hands them back to the players.

C 2: I think part of the excitement of this game is that neither of these players have competed against each other.

C 1: That's true, and both have experienced a string of successes recently.

C 2: Looks like Haggisv will be serving for the first set. Both players are ready.

C 1: Haggisv serves deep into Foam's backhand side and manages to punch-block it back. Haggisv is winding up - whoa! - he returns the ball with heavy topspin and it loops to Foam's forehand. Good footwork sees Foam counter hit and the ball goes wide and clips the edge of the table. Foam raises his hand in apology, but first point to him.

C 2: Not a great way to win the point, but I'm sure both players will take what comes.

C 1: Haggisv serves a short, spinny ball into the centre of the table and Foam pushes it back. He manages to keep it short and his opponent flicks it with his backhand pips. Again, exceptional footwork sees Foam retreat from the table and bring the ball onto his forehand. He digs the ball up and sends it flying back over the net. Haggisv confidently loops it back, but it goes right into opponent's strike zone and Foam counter loops it low and fast into Haggisv's body. Another point for Foam!

C 2: Well, this must give Foam some extra confidence. I bet he never thought he'd get the first two points, especially on the receiving side. I think this is turning out to be a great game.

C 1: Foam to serve. He tosses it up, but his fouled by the umpire. He doesn't look happy. Reborn gestures that he felt the toss was too short.

C 2: Foam does look annoyed now, but he needs to compose himself.

C 1: He serves again, but this time Reborn doesn't react. Haggisv turns the ball onto his pips and Foam's return sails over the table. 2-1. The next serve is also good and both players settle in to a grand display of forehand counter hits. Boy, Haggisv sure puts a lot of side spin on his shots.

C 2: Foam is quick, though. This is a good rally!

C 1: Ouch! Haggisv's might have put a little too much side spin on that last ball as it fails to find the table. 1-3.

C 2: The next serve from Haggisv is deep and it hits the edge of Foam's bat sending it flying into the air. 2-3. What's this? The umpire has just fouled the next serve. It looks like he didn't like the way Haggisv was holding the ball before tossing it up. I can only guess that Reborn thought his hand wasn't completely flat before the toss.

C 1: His next serve is okay and both players get stuck pushing short balls. Foam goes for a forehand flick, but it clips the net and races off the side of the table. 3-3.

C 2: Looks like both players are having a word to the umpire. Reborn's just shaking his head with his hands raised in defense. Both players return to the table.

--- Moments later ---

C 1: The score stands at 9-5 in Haggisv's favour. Foam to serve. It's long and right into his opponent's crossover point. Haggisv manages a soft return, which is smashed away by Foam. 6-9. He serves long again, but this time Haggisv hits the ball hard and fast, and it forces Foam to step back and block. Haggisv winds up again and the smash makes Foam dive to his forehand where he connects with the ball and lobs it up. The ball eventually lands in the middle of the table and Haggisv kills the ball with an almighty whack! 6-10.

C 2: Looks like the first set is going to Haggisv.

C 1: I wouldn't underestimate Foam's determination, yet. He forehand flicks the short serve and it skids passed Haggisv. 7-10. The next serve is to Foam's backhand, long and with plenty of topspin. Foam slashes at the ball and it just makes the edge of the table. He apologises again. But I think that's the first smile we've seen from him for a while. 8-10.

C 2: Yeah, he is a very serious player. He can afford to smile right now, especially as he gets to try and serve himself out of trouble.

C 1: His first serve is pulled up again by the umpire. Reborn indicates that he wasn't happy with the height of the toss. Foam moves to the other corner and serves mid-distance into Haggisv's forehand, but his return is a little awkward and it gives Foam an opportunity to drive it back with speed. Haggisv blocks and is forced into an attack verses defense rally. He tries to change the flow, but he misses the ball completely. Deuce!

C 2: Wow, this is just the first set. I think we're in for a great night of table tennis.

C 1: Haggisv serves fast and deep. Whoa! It shoots straight passed his opponent, who looks at his bat and shakes his head in disbelief. 11-10. Foam tosses high and serves short to Haggisv's backhand. He returns it with his pips, but it's a little too high and Foam makes short order of it - smashing it down the line for a point. 11-11.

--- Moments later ---

C 2: Do you think they can apply the expedite rule to a situation like this?

C 1: I've never seen anything like this. The score stands at 55-54 in Foam's favour, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere near a result. Both these players are visibly exhausted, but they're managing to find extra reserves of energy.

--- Many moments later ---

C 1: This is ridiculous now. The first set has been going for almost two hours and the score stands at 121-120 in Haggisv's favour.

C 2: It's not made any easier with all the re-serves because of the umpire's decisions. Regardless of that, and I'm not going to start nit-picking the umpire's decisions, this has been an amazing game. Do you think we'll see a result soon?

C 1: The game's just gone to deuce, again! Both players call time-out.

--- Almost sunrise ---

C 1: I think a decision is being made to call this match a draw. With the score on deuce at 348 a piece, it doesn't look like either player is able to force a result.

C 2: Yeah, the umpires have been talking for a long while now and it seems they've come to a decision. Reborn's waving his hands to us to indicate that the match is over. Both players just manage to muster up enough strength to shake each other's hands. They finish by shaking the umpire's hand and shuffle off to the dressing rooms.

C 1: What a game!

Last edited by Oskar on 20 Apr 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 12:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Haha Oskar! What a load of fictional rubbish! :P Surely you realise the match would have been over at 11-8 as I awarded the point to Haggisv for Foam's continued serve toss infringement...he already had a warning!! :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Good story though mate, and the erudite rule? How does that one work? I know of the expedite rule, but the erudite rule sounds like you might glue the players feet into position...oh no sorry, thats the araldite rule! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 12:16 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
In the interests of erudition, perhaps the officiator should have entertained expedition, except that if 18 points had already been scored when 10 minutes had elapsed then it would have been more erudite not to expedite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next